PDA

View Full Version : Trezise Master Butcher Bristol 1820 - 1850

SloopJB
29-03-2008, 2:43 PM
Please can anyone advise if there is a register of Master Butchers in Bristol in the first half of the 19th century.

Several of my family name Trezise were Butcher is Bristol at this time.

Geoffers
29-03-2008, 9:38 PM
I don't know, but if they were employers in their own right - with their own premises, I would expect them to appear in a directory such as Kellys, Whites, etc - these would be the simplest source to try.

I've just looked at Pigot's 1830 directory (approx 230 butchers listed in Bristol) and couldn't see the name in the city's entries.

SloopJB
30-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for this advice.

I have census but also many Bristol Directory entries.
Bristol Central Library has an excellent range of these.

I was looking for the next step and wondered if there were any trade association records.

There were two generations of the family who were Butchers, with Brothers and Uncles involved. I do not know if the industry was very regulated in those days or whether they just could set up as Butchers without any registration or apprenticeship which would have been recorded by the local authorities ?

Geoffers
30-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't know if such records survive for Bristol - but for the period prior to the Municipal Corporations Act 1835, you might try looking for records relating to the enrolement of freemen.