PDA

View Full Version : Weslyan Minister Keightley

penword
27-03-2008, 8:00 PM
I ahve two primitive weslyan ministers called keightley James (a minister between 1871 - 1918 possibly in Doncaster) and Robert William (minister between 1874 - 1929 possibly in Cleethorpes) how can I find out more about their work, are there records of where they would have worked sermons etc? Does anyone know

mary elms
27-03-2008, 10:38 PM
The book you want to beg, borrow or buy is
The Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers by W Leary (copyright 1990)
ISBN 1 871431 01 8 (paperback) 1 871431 00 X (hardback)

James KEIGHTLEY is listed with the circuits in which he served. It also gives information about his birth and death and references the sources from which this information was gleaned.

There's similar information on a Robert William KEIGHTLEY - including his marriage.

Your local library ought to be able to borrow the book for you for a small fee.

Mary.

mary elms
28-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I should add that for your two names the 1990 book is fine on its own but if anyone else is using the book they should also check the 1993 supplement as this contains the corrections and additions to the 1990 book.

Mary.

penword
28-03-2008, 8:10 PM
Thank you have been to library today and they don't have it in the county of north yorkshire, but for a 2.00 fee I can order it, so if there is anyone else who wants me to look up anything for them let me know soon

penword
22-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Just to let you know, got the book and found the info, so thank you very much for pointing me in right direction. What is really amazing is that we have found out he actually came to the town where we now live for several years so hows that for a coincidence and preached in the church where I went to guides !!!!

mary elms
22-05-2008, 2:08 PM
That's great - and twice the link!! Thanks for letting us know. It's those little touches of extra detail that make family history so interesting. Now you can imagine him at work in the church there. I wonder if the local archives have anything that would tell you about his time there?

I've not looked at the Primitive Methodist Magazines but if they're anything like the Wesleyan ones then some of the references W. Leary gives as his sources might be very much worth following up. There could be a lot of information there - or articles he's written (not necessarily on religion) - or even an obituary.

Mary.