PDA

View Full Version : Last and boot tree maker

Barnzzz
26-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Hello, I though this occupation was something to do with shoe/boot making, but after googling it believe it could be wood work of some kind. Does anyone know ?

Thanks a lot
Sue

Mike_E
26-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Hello, I though this occupation was something to do with shoe/boot making, but after googling it believe it could be wood work of some kind. Does anyone know ?

Thanks a lot
Sue

I think a "Last" is normally made in Wood, and is used to create a mould in sand which you then pour Molten metal of sime kind into ( removing the wood first)

Perhaps is is the little wooden show moulds you see old cobblers use when making shoes and boots?

Jan1954
26-03-2008, 11:11 PM
A last was/is a foot-shaped object upon which a boot/shoe-maker would make shoes.

Nowadays, this is made of metal or some other composite material, which may be adjusted to match the customer's foot size. However, it used to be made of wood (some are still around) and were made to a high specification.

Mutley
26-03-2008, 11:23 PM
A Laster
is a Shoemaker (from his use of a last) http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/l.html
or
A person who made shoes using a last, a cobbler. http://web.ukonline.co.uk/thursday.handleigh/demography/occupations-wages-money/old-occupations/index.htm

So I would imagine the Last Maker was different to the Shoemaker/Laster ;)

Barnzzz
26-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks a lot Mike and Jan

Sue

Ladkyis
27-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Lasts and boot trees are made of wood. Lasts are the patterns that the leather is shaped over when making shoes.
Boot trees are shaped pieces of wood that are slid into the leg part of "Top Boots" those fancy ones with dark leather for most of the boot and a band of lighter coloured leather (the top) around the top edge. These are worn by huntsmen these days and used to be worn by gentlemen and aristocrats when riding.
Watch any film od a Jane Austen book and all the posh gents jump off their horse and stride across the screen in top boots.

To keep them straight and prevent the leather creasing the servants would clean the boots and insert boot trees. If you ever see a picture of these boots with a block of wood with what looks like a wooden wedge in the middle of it sticking out of the top of the boots then that's a boot tree.
Just try google images and put in boot trees, loads of piccies

Barnzzz
27-03-2008, 9:20 PM
Thanks Ladkyis. I had pictured (wrongly) a boot tree as a sort of rack where finished boots were hung out to dry or something !

Sue