PDA

View Full Version : SAMUEL VARNEY married BRIDGET???

Jinni
26-03-2008, 9:23 PM
Any help please have been stuck with this for ages

Samuel Varney Born 1834c St Marys Nottingham
Married Bridget????? Born 1823 in Kilmore Roscommon Ireland,she died aged 80yrs in 1903 in Nottingham.
She was in Nottingham in 1871 as a widow.
I presume Samuel was in the Army from where the children were born.

Sarah 1853c Cape of Good Hope
William 1856c Dublin
Samuel 1858c Portsmouth
Mary Jane 1861 Tipnor Portsmouth
Matilda Anastatia Born 25th Dec 1863 Winchester Hamphire.(My Gt Grandmother)
I would like to find more about Bridget if possible,also Samuels Army Career,so where do I start looking. HELP PLEASE.
Jinni

v.wells
26-03-2008, 10:20 PM
findmypast is a ppv site but has the Army registers of bmd. You may be able to order b/m certs if there is a vol and page # from GRO.

Mutley
26-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Jinni,
I can see Bridget in all the census so you have that part of her life history.

Does not Matilda's birth certificate give Bridget's maiden name or which regiment Samuel was a sergeant in?

Does any of the other birth certificates give more details of father's occupation?

If so have a wade around here...
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step1.htm

Jinni
27-03-2008, 8:31 AM
Hi,
Thank you for reply,sorry I wasn't very clear I can't find any of the childrens Birth Certificates that the problem.

Jinni

Mutley
27-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Sorry Jinni, my mistake, I assumed you had Matilda's certificate.

If you cannot find the marriage of Bridget and Samuel or the births of the children under the name Varney it may mean they did not marry or did so much later than you are looking.

It could be worth looking for births of a Samuel and Mary Jane in Portsmouth and a Matilda in Winchester all with another surname.

I'll have a scout around.

Mutley
27-03-2008, 12:10 PM
The only Matilda I can see is one registered in the first qrt of 1864 in Winchester and is a Matilda Hillier. 2c/108

I cannot find an Anastasia at all.

There are Samuel and Mary Jane Hilliers but none I would say definite and I cannot see a marriage of Bridget Hillier to Thomas Varney.

I guess that idea goes out the window. Sorry!