PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Census - Mold

Rowan Tree
26-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone help me decipher an entry on the 1861 census? :confused:

I'm struggling to read the address and occupation for a John MADDOCKS:
Source Citation - Class: RG9; Piece: 4274; Folio: 62; Page: 9.

The street name is a mystery to me and I think the occupation reads "Stock Keeper" - wondering if I could have a second opinion on the occupation and any suggestions at all on the street name.

Many thanks for reading, Kirsty :)

bumblebee
26-03-2008, 2:07 PM
Is it Ferns Yard, went to have a look at the enumeration district description and it is a census image so no help there. Looks like Stock Keeper to me as well.

Another census site confirms it as Ferns Yard, High Street Mold. (Stock Keeper)

Bumblebee

v.wells
26-03-2008, 2:31 PM
He was Stores keeper in the 1871 census that I posted to your other thread.

Rowan Tree
26-03-2008, 3:44 PM
Many thanks to Bumblebee and Vanessa,

Another peice of my Maddocks puzzle.

Thanks again and Best Wishes, Kirsty :)

Rowan Tree
26-03-2008, 3:52 PM
Hi,

It's only me again. I was wondering if I could pick your brains again. I'm wondering if the family are still living at Ferns Yard on the 1871 census. It's definately F... Yard but I'm strugling to make it say Fern as there appears to be an 'i' in the word.

What do you think....?

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 5647; Folio: 20; Page: 32.

Cheers, Kirsty :)

bumblebee
26-03-2008, 6:54 PM
Hi Kirsty

On the Description of the enumeration district on the 1871 it clearly looks like Fern's Yard.

Bumblebee

Rowan Tree
27-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks Bumblebee,

It's good to know what someone else makes of it. I think I've been looking at it too long.

Thanks again, Kirsty :)

granof17
09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Kirsty,

Fearns Stockyard was a livestock market located behind the shops in High St.Mold.Loved going there when the markets were on,usually Saturdays.Sadly they are longer there.
The census says that your John Maddocks was a storeman...so he would have worked in the stock-feed sheds located at the markets,selling and buying hay,etc.

Hope this helps.

Maddocks was a well known name in Mold...the Maddocks' family who lived in my road were barbers,working out of King St.

Cheers,
Gill

Jan1954
09-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Hello Gill,

Thank you for the details about Fearns Stockyard.

Unfortunately, Kirsty (Rowan Tree) is no longer a member of the forum. :(

However, the information that you have posted could well be of interest to others, so thank you.