PDA

View Full Version : William Western TAPSCOTT

colleen
18-12-2004, 3:20 PM
William Western Tapscott helped run a family shipping company which had offices in Liverpool, Dublin and New York. Their main business was in transporting emigrants to America. The company had been formed by his father, also William, and uncle James Tapscott who remained in New York.

I understand that William Western Tapscott was imprisoned for defrauding the company. I would like to know if anyone has come across anything on this or where I might find some more information such as precise dates and sentence received.

I welcome correspondence with anyone also researching the Tapscott family, originally from Somerset.

Colleen

Peggy
18-12-2004, 7:38 PM
Hi Colleen,

Just wanted you to know that your post helped to fill in a bit of my family history. Some time back I had found an ancestor's emigration record on Ancestry. The family came to NY, it said, on the ship "Wr Tascott." I went back on Ancestry today, and darned if it hasn't been changed to read "Wm Tapscott." (I wonder how many of these little corrections they make, with no indication of a change. Perhaps one needs to recheck info once a month!)

Thanks to you, I've now found the painting of the ship and much information about her.

Best,

Peggy