PDA

View Full Version : Griffith and Bevan Llangyfellach

SloopJB
24-03-2008, 5:26 PM
Hello again,

I am loking for some advice re my wife's family.

Her great great great grandparents lived in Abbergavenny in 1841 and 1851.

Thomas Griffiths was from Ruardean in the Forest of Dean and his wife Margaret was listed as born Llangyfellach in approx. 1797.

Someone advised me her maiden name could be Bevan, I believe this was again from a marriage index.

Recently I visited the Glamorgan CRO in Cardiff. There is a marriage on 15 August 1814 in Llangyfellach, both are listed as resident in Llangyfellach.
This of course does not mean they were both born there.

Can anyone shed any light on the parents of Margaret or her birth / baptism?

I did search whilst in the CRO the parish registers but it is possible the family were non conformists.

In the index in the CRO it stated with consent of parents. This would be consistent with Margaret being only approx. 17. Also it had the letters ( BP )
I did look for the Banns book for Llangyfellach but the entries seemed to stop in 1812 and restart in 1828. I suspect the Banns or a special licence if it survives might give some more details of the family and Margaret's parents.

Please can any body advise on where to look next or provide any further details.

WelshGen
21-10-2008, 1:35 AM
In the list of South Wales marriages I have I can confirm Margaret's maiden name was Bevan, all the other details are the same as you have already. If it's possible to get a copy of their marriage certificate then it may show their dates of birth/age (unless they lied which sometimes happens) and maybe one or other of their parents.

SloopJB
22-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for confirming the Bevan Surname.

The 1814 Llangefellach marriage is pre 1837 so I can not order a Marriage Certificate.

SloopJB.