PDA

View Full Version : Illegitimacy and fathers name on certificates

JudyNolan
24-03-2008, 4:09 PM
My great grandmother was a history and half and I was wondering if someone could gove some advice!!

Name : Dorothy Fewkes

On her birth certificate, mother was Clara Fewkes and no father, which indicates to me that she was illegitimate.

On her first marriage certificate, no father again.

On the second marriage certificate, there was a father - same name as her grandfather.

Since her mother died between the two marriages, which is more likely:

a) Dorothy was finally able to say the truth - her father was also her grandfather i.e. incest

b) The divorce and the illegitimacy was too much and she lied about her father

Cheers!!

Judy

uksearch
24-03-2008, 4:41 PM
My great grandmother was a history and half and I was wondering if someone could gove some advice!!

Name : Dorothy Fewkes

On her birth certificate, mother was Clara Fewkes and no father, which indicates to me that she was illegitimate.

Very likely

On her first marriage certificate, no father again.

On the second marriage certificate, there was a father - same name as her grandfather.

Since her mother died between the two marriages, which is more likely:

a) Dorothy was finally able to say the truth - her father was also her grandfather i.e. incest

Doubtful

b) The divorce and the illegitimacy was too much and she lied about her father

Very probable

UK

Mutley
24-03-2008, 7:21 PM
Another scenario to consider.

A friend has his birth certificate, mother named but no father.

He was brought up by an aunt and uncle and told his mother emigrated not long after his birth, never to be heard from again.

His first marriage certificate again, no father.

His aunt died then his uncle followed and when clearing out the effects he found a set of adoption papers. His grandfather who died when he was very young had actually adopted him!

On his second marriage certificate he entered his grandfather's name saying that if the old boy had taken the trouble to do that, then he deserved to be recognised as his father.

JudyNolan
24-03-2008, 8:07 PM
Thank you for your prompt replies - very helpful!|hug|

Mary Young
24-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Yet another scenario: she was confused by the Registrar's questions (quite common) and gave her mother's father's name by mistake.