PDA

View Full Version : Ordained at Peterborough

Jenjen
21-03-2008, 2:04 AM
I have looking for information on a relative who was ordained at Peterborough in 1612. I would like to understand a little more about the process. He graduated from Christ's Cambridge in 1610 and was licensed to preach (York)1615. I am trying to find out more about him-possibly where he came from.
Any help appreciated.
Jen

arthurk
21-03-2008, 2:29 PM
You might find something in the Clergy Database (http://www.theclergydatabase.org.uk/). He also ought to appear in the appropriate volume of Cambridge Alumni. This gives biographical information, and can often be found in larger reference or local studies libraries. Some of the Oxford Alumni volumes are available on CD-ROM, but I don't know about Cambridge.

Arthur

Jenjen
21-03-2008, 3:29 PM
Thanks Arthur. I have his record from the C of E database but it gives nothing about his origins. I know he went to Eyam a vicar- probably his first appointment. The Cambridge Alumni database also gives nothing extra. I was more interested to know what went on in those days once one had graduated. Did it follow a normal pattern of events? Peterborough then York. By the way his name was Robert Talbott.
jen

arthurk
21-03-2008, 8:30 PM
These days those who wish to become ministers have to follow a fairly well-defined path, but this has only come about in about the past 100-150 years. See Jane Austen for clues on how things worked in earlier times - often it seems that more or less any graduate who wished to be ordained could be. He'd probably serve time as a junior minister before getting a parish ("living") of his own. However, I can't say how much this applied to the 1600s.

At each new appointment a record of some kind would be created, which might give some biographical details. I believe there are fairly good records in York Minster (?? possibly now removed to the Borthwick Institute, part of the University of York ??) which might be worth investigating. For Eyam at that date you would need to check records of the Bishop or Diocese of Lichfield.

Arthur

Jenjen
22-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks Arthur. Yes we recently saw all the Jane Austin series on Masterpiece Theater and we did note that men seemed to fancy going into the church on a whim. It was not always a vocation. Robert happened possibly to be the first son so maybe his was a vocation. Anyway he struck lucky getting Eyam because it had one of the best livings in the country due to the lead mines.
I will continue my search.
Jen