PDA

View Full Version : ONE THICK NEWBIE

georgeyone
20-03-2008, 3:59 PM
Hi All
I know most of you will call me thick but I need help I am new to this site but in the future some one is bound to be linked to me and I will need to send them part of my tree now for the clever bit I need some one to tell me how to send parts of my tree (not all) from Family tree Maker any one know or can't it be done?

Paul |help|:confused:

Alan Welsford
20-03-2008, 4:26 PM
Hi Paul,

You will be aware that Family Tree Maker allows you to produce....

Ancestor Tree
Hourglass Tree
Descendant Tree
Outline Descendant Tree
(and probably more besides...)

Apart from you deciding which person to start from, it gives a lot of flexibility about who to include. E.g. you can chose number of generations, individuals to exclude, etc.

Provided you can produce a tree or report that contains just who you want to pass to somebody else, you can then use the "Copy/Export Individuals" option on the "File" menu to produce a "GEDCOM" file that can be sent to somebody else.

GEDCOM is a file format recognised by just about all genealogy programs. so even if the recipient doesn't use Family Tree Maker, their program should still be able to open the file, and display your cut down tree.

If you are worried you may be sending more than you meant to, you can always open up the file yourself, and could even manually cut out further people if you wished, before finally handing it over.

Alan

georgeyone
20-03-2008, 4:39 PM
Hi Alan
Thanks Alan I had a tree robber on Genes so bought FTM and put all my tree on it then left a small part on Genes only last week I had a hot match that had my family including me when I contacted him he said he didn't know where my tree came from but we were conected I had a look at his tree but no conection I tried again a few days later and all my tree had gone from his tree , up to now I have had to hand write relevant parts of my tree that had been asked for.
Thanks again for the addvice.
Paul

v.wells
20-03-2008, 4:40 PM
Good advice Alan. I wondered how to do it as well. |hug|

apehangmom
12-06-2008, 5:11 PM
See the problems I had with Family tree maker were the same.. ( but it occured that people were doing things with their family tree maker that mine wasnt doing... )But I also realized that you can get updates... yeah ya gotta buy them... But there worth it.. Especially when you paid a 100$ bucks for the set 11 years ago. I think that the newer updates ease you into 2008... where its easier to add a new wife and ammend the children of that new wife. But if your having issues with your family tree maker... if you cant resolve them... you may need an update. Then you will be ahead of the curve. thanks chris..