PDA

View Full Version : Salvation Army Farm Boys of Canada

v.wells
20-03-2008, 2:41 PM
Recent TV show had a reunion of descendants of the Salvation Army Farm Boys of Canada. This took place from 1895 thru 1900's. There is lots of info there if you google Salvation Army Farm boys.

Found this as well http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/ships3.html lists the ships and dates of arrival/departure from 1860's to 1930's from Liverpool to Canada via the Allan Ship Lines.

Peter_uk_can
20-03-2008, 2:50 PM
Do I presume that this was the extent of the records in as much as these young people came here without any record of their name, family or home town ?

v.wells
20-03-2008, 3:03 PM
I guess you're right - again- Peter.

There are other lists available at www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/passenger/001045-130-e.html and there is www.salvationarmy.ca with more info on these.

At least that first link provides names of organizations to look up.:D The program was Ancestors in the Attic and focused on the Ontario farm boys that came over.

Peter_uk_can
20-03-2008, 3:20 PM
Vanessa. I just have this vision, a young boy from the north of England, with perhaps little or no education, orally giving his name to a native/french official who has lousy handwriting and a worn out pen.

.......... and we wonder why we can't trace our 3 times uncle Ezekial Josiah Winterbottom

v.wells
20-03-2008, 5:07 PM
Vanessa. I just have this vision, a young boy from the north of England, with perhaps little or no education, orally giving his name to a native/french official who has lousy handwriting and a worn out pen.

.......... and we wonder why we can't trace our 3 times uncle Ezekial Josiah Winterbottom

Go for it and make fun of me |laugh1| You think of the oddest things and you're right, but these particular farm boys on Ancestors in the Attic actually learned and eventually owned land in the areas they immigrated to.