PDA

View Full Version : Boer War name of Regiment and Battle

Joanna1
19-03-2008, 12:39 PM
How can one find out by name only which regiment an officer was in who fought in the Boer War? My grandfather and his brother who both fought in the Boer War - my Grandfather fought and survived. By the age of 19 yrs he was 2nd Lieutenant sadly his brother was killed. Names were Humphrey Weaver survivor and Oswald Weaver deceased. They would have been there 1900 can anyone tell me which regiments and battle or how there is an easy step to find out it would be much appreciated. As I say I only have their names. Born in somerset DOB for Humphrey 1881

Fordy
19-03-2008, 1:57 PM
How can one find out by name only which regiment an officer was in who fought in the Boer War? My grandfather and his brother who both fought in the Boer War - my Grandfather fought and survived. By the age of 19 yrs he was 2nd Lieutenant sadly his brother was killed. Names were Humphrey Weaver survivor and Oswald Weaver deceased. They would have been there 1900 can anyone tell me which regiments and battle or how there is an easy step to find out it would be much appreciated. As I say I only have their names. Born in somerset DOB for Humphrey 1881

Usually I would say The Army List or Hart's Army List (which has war services of officers).... but I have looked in the Lists for 1898, 1900, 1901 & 1902 and there are no active officers called Weaver listed in any of them.

Geoffers
19-03-2008, 3:27 PM
How can one find out by name only which regiment an officer was in who fought in the Boer War? My grandfather and his brother who both fought in the Boer War...Names were Humphrey Weaver survivor and Oswald Weaver deceased.

Checking the Natal and South African Forces Deaths 1899-1902 give just one WEAVER with the initial 'O'

WEAVER. O.J. Canadian Contingent. Page 531

I tried other military deaths for the same period and he is not included there.

If that isn't him, could your chap have been in the Royal Navy, or Marines? - Or did he have another forename?

Any mention in the London Gazette (http://www.londongazette.co.uk/home.aspx?geotype=London)?

You might try the medal rolls at TNA, they are in document class WO100

What is the source of your information?

keith9351
19-03-2008, 4:09 PM
From Kevin Asplin site

Extracted details of name, number and unit of the Cavalry who were awarded the Queens South Africa Medal (for the Boer War of 1899-1902)

Private Weaver H 17th Lancers

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kevinasplin/CAVvz.html

Keith

Peter Goodey
19-03-2008, 5:20 PM
I'd get hold of the soldiers papers for the survivor see
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14

If I were searching, I'd first of all try WO 97/6190.

I don't know if this link will work...
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=695128&CATLN=6&accessmethod=5

Joanna1
20-03-2008, 3:31 AM
Thank you for looking. I have come across some other member which gave a site which is very useful. I have found all my relatives but sadly not my grandfather but there seems on the site there is someone I can ask. The site is: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/KevinAsplin/home.html
Regards Joanna

Joanna1
20-03-2008, 9:05 AM
I have now found my grand father 4862 Pivate Weaver H 17 Lancers. on site http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kevinasplin/CAVvz.html But the guy you found -WEAVER. O.J. Canadian Contingent. Page 531 which is the site for this please? as this could me my grandfathers brother Oswald Weaver who was killed in battle in the Boer War do not know which battle or which regiment but this could be him. But my family are Englsih not Canadian. Regards Joanna

Joanna1
20-03-2008, 9:21 AM
In answer to your question I was handed down new paper cuttings but no name of paper. I.E When my grandfather married my grandmother there was a quote about in a news paper (don’t know how to find out which paper) A high society Wedding in St Mary Aborts Church Kensington London 1911. Sir General John Owen KEB 2304 Trooper 28th coy 4th Bn I.Y (who was my grandmother’s cousin) gave her away. It said something like Captain Humphrey Weaver who was awarded The Queens Three clasps medals INin the Boer War married Clytie Wheeler and had their honeymoon in Brighton.
Do you know how to do a news paper search? Regards Joanna

Geoffers
20-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I have now found my grand father 4862 Pivate Weaver H 17 Lancers. on site http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kevinasplin/CAVvz.html But the guy you found -WEAVER. O.J. Canadian Contingent. Page 531 which is the site for this please? as this could me my grandfathers brother Oswald Weaver who was killed in battle in the Boer War do not know which battle or which regiment but this could be him.

The information was found as mentioned in,

'The Natal and South African Forces Deaths 1899-1902'

This is an index of deaths that has beenc opied onto fiches and can be seen at many County Record Offices; and also online at pay-to-view sites such as findmypast. You can apply for a copy of the death certificate via the GRO. Do search the index for yourself, but I couldn't see another entry

But my family are Englsih not Canadian

Nothing to stop your chap emigrating

ladysmith
27-04-2008, 4:43 PM
Joanna - 326 Pte. O.J. Weaver 1/Canadian Mounted Rifles was initially reported as missing in action believed killed near Wonderfontein 22/10/1900. Buried Middelburg Cemetery (eastern Transvaal). No individual grave marker.

Are you sure the H. Weaver you're looking for is the one in 17th Lancers? There was more than one man of this name who fought in the Boer War. As an example, although your grandfather survived the war, there is an H. Weaver of the Warwickshire Regiment shown in the casualty roll as died of disease. There are likely to have been a few more H. Weavers who survived.

Regards, David

Joanna1
28-04-2008, 4:56 AM
Joanna - 326 Pte. O.J. Weaver 1/Canadian Mounted Rifles was initially reported as missing in action believed killed near Wonderfontein 22/10/1900. Buried Middelburg Cemetery (eastern Transvaal). No individual grave marker.

Are you sure the H. Weaver you're looking for is the one in 17th Lancers? There was more than one man of this name who fought in the Boer War. As an example, although your grandfather survived the war, there is an H. Weaver of the Warwickshire Regiment shown in the casualty roll as died of disease. There are likely to have been a few more H. Weavers who survived.

Regards, David

Thank you very much for the information on O.J Weaver 1/Canadian Mounted Rifles. My great Uncle Oswald was British so what was he doing with the 1/Canadian Mounted Rifles? Could anyone join a foreign Regiment? Are you sure it is him? I do not know how to check this.

Also you asked if I was sure Humphrey Weaver was with the the 17th Lancers but this is the information I have - but would very much like it confirmed. If there is anything else one can find on Humphrey I would be most greatful.

Humphrey Weaver DOB August 1881. 1901-1902 Humphrey saw service in South Africa in the Boar War and was decorated with the Queens Medal with three Clasps.

Lieut H Weaver was promoted to Capitan 26 Dec 1910 he was in the Indian Army with the 114th Mahrattas. From The London Gazette, Tuesday, Feb. 7 1911.

Kind regards Joanna

Joanna1
28-04-2008, 5:39 AM

Regards, David

Dear David,

It is me again.

Just thought I would give you all the information I have so you can see if I/we do have the right man! and information - I do hope so. There maybe information In the London Gazette. But I do know how to find it.
1901-1902 Humphrey saw service in South Africa in the Boer War and was decorated with the Queens Medal with three Clasps. WEAVER, Capt. H. (Ind. Army) Served in the S. African War, 1901-2. Took part in the operations in Cape Colony, July 01 to 31 May 02 and received the Queen's medal with 3 clasps.

David would you know anything about the operations in Cape Colony Jily 01 to 31st May 1902?

According to the Army Lists, H Weaver was commissioned as a Lieutenant into the 3rd battalion, the South Staffordshire Regiment on 11 April 1901. He may have acquired his commission by sitting the Civil Service Direct Entry exam, or perhaps by transferring in to the Regular army from the Militia. 4862 Private Weaver H 17 Lancers by the time he was 19yrs he was a 2nd Lieutenant.
Humphrey Weaver was with the 17th Lancers 2nd Lieut. 28 Jan 03. Lieut. Last regiment: S. Staffs. Regt. 2nd Lieut. 28 Jan 03. Lieut. 22 Oct 05. Captain. 26 Dec 10. Lieut H Weaver was promoted to Capitan 26 Dec 1910 He joined the Indian Army with the 114th Mahrattas. From The London Gazette, Tuesday, Feb. 7 1911 114th Marathas and was made a Captain. 26 Dec 10. Weaver, Captain and was in the Double Company Officer, Killed in action 1916 Mesopotamia.

David, do you know what Double Company means?

Hope this helps. Regards Joanna

ladysmith
28-04-2008, 4:16 PM
Hi Joanna - He is the only O.J. Weaver listed in the casualty roll so it looked odds on it was him. I double checked on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial and it definitely is him!

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/Results

As to how he ended up in a Canadian unit it could be that he simply emigrated to Canada, even if not on a permanent basis, and joined up there. I've seen numerous examples of WW1 service papers to men in Canadian regiments who were born in the U.K. and gave a U.K. address for their next of kin so it was probably not so unusual in the Boer War either.

You've obtained rather more information on Humphrey than I thought you had. I was wondering if you'd based your conclusion only on an H. Weaver being on the 17th Lancers medal roll but obviously not!

'Operations in the Cape Colony July 01 to 31 May 02' is a very general description of service. (This of course covers only the period from when he was commissioned. He would have been there before July 1901 as a private). By September 1900, the Boer capitals had been captured and there were no more major pitched battles. There followed the 'guerilla war' so service in the Cape Colony (a vast area in itself) would have involved a lot of patrolling and hard riding with occasional skirmishes and smallish actions.

More specifically, the 17th Lancers arrived at the Cape in March 1900 and were heavily involved in the Battle of Diamond Hill, east of Pretoria, 11-12/6/1900. However, Humphrey wasn't there as his QSA qualification doesn't include the Diamond Hill clasp or even Transvaal which is where Diamond Hill is.

In November 1900 they were formed into a column under Col. Herbert which operated in the south east of the Orange Free State in the pursuit of Boer General Christiaan De Wet's commando. They also operated in the OFS in April and May 1901. As he received the OFS clasp Humphrey must have been in at least one, but probably both, of these actions.

Otherwise they operated only in Cape Colony which they re-entered in December 1900. In June 1901 the regiment was split up and the three squadrons were attached to different columns. This is where it gets very difficult to follow Humphrey's specific service. It is quoted that 'These columns had endless very severe marches and some hard fighting'.

One squadron's column drove Boer General Kritzinger's commando out of Cape Colony and back into the OFS in August 1901. One squadron was attacked by Jan Smuts's commando at Modderfontein, near Tarkastad. The Boers were dressed in khaki and were originally thought to be British troops until it was too late. 23 of the squadron were killed
and 32 wounded. The Boers fled when another squadron of the 17th Lancers approached the scene.

Because the regiment was split up, between them the three squadrons of the 17th Lancers saw action in almost every part of Cape Colony.

I haven't heard the term 'Double Company Officer' before. My best guess is that he had duties with two of the companies of the battalion, rather than just one but maybe another forum member is able to confirm or correct this.

Regards, David

Joanna1
29-04-2008, 5:22 AM
Hi Joanna - He is the only O.J. Weaver listed in the casualty roll so it looked odds on it was him. I double checked on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial and it definitely is him!

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/Results

As to how he ended up in a Canadian unit it could be that he simply emigrated to Canada, even if not on a permanent basis, and joined up there. I've seen numerous examples of WW1 service papers to men in Canadian regiments who were born in the U.K. and gave a U.K. address for their next of kin so it was probably not so unusual in the Boer War either.

You've obtained rather more information on Humphrey than I thought you had. I was wondering if you'd based your conclusion only on an H. Weaver being on the 17th Lancers medal roll but obviously not!

'Operations in the Cape Colony July 01 to 31 May 02' is a very general description of service. (This of course covers only the period from when he was commissioned. He would have been there before July 1901 as a private). By September 1900, the Boer capitals had been captured and there were no more major pitched battles. There followed the 'guerilla war' so service in the Cape Colony (a vast area in itself) would have involved a lot of patrolling and hard riding with occasional skirmishes and smallish actions.

More specifically, the 17th Lancers arrived at the Cape in March 1900 and were heavily involved in the Battle of Diamond Hill, east of Pretoria, 11-12/6/1900. However, Humphrey wasn't there as his QSA qualification doesn't include the Diamond Hill clasp or even Transvaal which is where Diamond Hill is.

In November 1900 they were formed into a column under Col. Herbert which operated in the south east of the Orange Free State in the pursuit of Boer General Christiaan De Wet's commando. They also operated in the OFS in April and May 1901. As he received the OFS clasp Humphrey must have been in at least one, but probably both, of these actions.

Otherwise they operated only in Cape Colony which they re-entered in December 1900. In June 1901 the regiment was split up and the three squadrons were attached to different columns. This is where it gets very difficult to follow Humphrey's specific service. It is quoted that 'These columns had endless very severe marches and some hard fighting'.

One squadron's column drove Boer General Kritzinger's commando out of Cape Colony and back into the OFS in August 1901. One squadron was attacked by Jan Smuts's commando at Modderfontein, near Tarkastad. The Boers were dressed in khaki and were originally thought to be British troops until it was too late. 23 of the squadron were killed
and 32 wounded. The Boers fled when another squadron of the 17th Lancers approached the scene.

Because the regiment was split up, between them the three squadrons of the 17th Lancers saw action in almost every part of Cape Colony.

I haven't heard the term 'Double Company Officer' before. My best guess is that he had duties with two of the companies of the battalion, rather than just one but maybe another forum member is able to confirm or correct this.

Regards, David

Dear David,

Thank you enoumously. I suppose this could have been the case that Oswald joined in a Canadian Regiment this is so helpful thank you again for giving me this information.

Regarding Snutt: I also have this small bit of information you may also be interested in. Your description on Smutt said there were less killed than the article I found on the website with the 17th Lancers…………… February 1900 saw the 17th Lancers return to South Africa but this time for war against the Boers. The war had broken out in October 1899 and by the time the Regiment joined the 3rd Cavalry Division all the large set piece battles had been concluded. The Division was employed in the pursuit of de Wet's Commando in a triangle between Pretoria, Mafeking and Bloemfontein. The most serious action involving the 17th was at Modderfontein where Smuts' Commando ambushed C Squadron. Although surrounded and out-numbered the squadron refused to surrender. Out of a total strength of 144, 3 officers and 32 soldiers were killed with 4 officers and 33 men being injured. For the remainder of the Boer War the Regiment were engaged in clearing up operations using the newly introduced 'blockhouse' system. In 1902 the 17th returned to Britain, posted initially to Edinburgh and subsequently to Glasgow before deploying back to India in 1905 for a further nine years.……….

David would you happen to have you any photograph’s of the 17th Lancers Battalion Regiment or paintings of any of these battles that Humphrey may have been involved with you could give me a link to?

I think you must be right regarding to the Double Company. That he had duties with two of the Companies of the Battalion, rather than just one.

Kind Regards

Joanna

ladysmith
29-04-2008, 4:06 PM
Hi Joanna - I haven't got any photos or other illustrations of the 17th Lancers. The only advice I can offer is to trawl around the web. You never know what you might find!

Regards, David

Mary S (WA)
27-08-2008, 4:07 PM
Probably not related to your family but on Kevin Asplin's site I found:
4613 Private Weaver F 1st Battalion
6609 Corporal Weaver F 3rd Battalion
I think it was under the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (for the Boer War)
so I assume it is not your Weavers!
Cheers,
Mary

Joanna1
12-09-2008, 1:48 PM
Hi Joanna - I haven't got any photos or other illustrations of the 17th Lancers. The only advice I can offer is to trawl around the web. You never know what you might find!

Regards, David

Dear David,

You have been so helpful in the past which I thank you for enormously with a mind full of information, you are so good at finding out facts and ansers where I would not know where to start.

What I really wish to find out is: What year did Captain Humphrey Weaver transfer to the 114th Mahrattas Indian Army? Important: Where and what was Weaver doing from 22 Oct 1905? Had he been transferred to the 114th Mahrattas Indian Army by 1905 if so what date exactly where can we find this information?

This is what I know: 4862 Private Weaver H 17 Lancers DOB August 1881 he was with 17th Lancers 2nd Lieut. 28 Jan 03. Lieut. Last regiment: S. Staffs. Regt. 2nd Lieut. 28 Jan 03. Lieut. 22 Oct 05.
Does this mean the 17th Lancers with the South Staffordshire Regiment?

WEAVER, Capt. H. (Ind. Army) Served in the S. African War, 1901-2. Took part in the operations in Cape Colony, July 01 to 31 May 02. Queen's medal with 3 clasps. In brackets above (Ind. Army) what does that mean?

Humphrey was and made a Captain. 26 Dec 1910. Weaver, Captain and Double Company Officer, but where was he in 1910 which Regiment?What year did Humphrey transfer to the 114th Mahrattas Army could it have been as early as 1905?I would like to know where he was and what he was doing up to 1911 when I know then he was in the Himalayas.
Humphrey was Killed in action 1916 Mesopotamia.

I would much appreciative it if you, or someone could help with this big quirey.

Thanking you Joanna

daggers
12-09-2008, 4:30 PM
I have arrived late at this thread and may be duplcating previous posts: London Gazette, issue no. 27188, 1 May 1900, p.10: Humphrey Weaver to be 2nd Lieutenant, 3rd Battalion South Staffordshire Regt, from 20 April 1900. Issue No.27519, 27 Jan 1903, p.4: Lieut Humphrey Weaver from 3rd Battalion to be 2nd Lieutenant (vice [ie in place of] GH Townson, resigned). I did not look beyond 1905.
No trace of Oswald, 1898 to 1905.
The 3rd Battalion would probably be a militia unit, part time, but he seems to have had take a step down when transferred to the full-time. There was a good deal of changing about while the Boer War was on - some went to great lengths to get involved.
Daggers

ladysmith
12-09-2008, 9:21 PM
Dear David,

You have been so helpful in the past which I thank you for enormously with a mind full of information, you are so good at finding out facts and ansers where I would not know where to start.

What I really wish to find out is: What year did Captain Humphrey Weaver transfer to the 114th Mahrattas Indian Army? Important: Where and what was Weaver doing from 22 Oct 1905? Had he been transferred to the 114th Mahrattas Indian Army by 1905 if so what date exactly where can we find this information?

This is what I know: 4862 Private Weaver H 17 Lancers DOB August 1881 he was with 17th Lancers 2nd Lieut. 28 Jan 03. Lieut. Last regiment: S. Staffs. Regt. 2nd Lieut. 28 Jan 03. Lieut. 22 Oct 05.
Does this mean the 17th Lancers with the South Staffordshire Regiment?

WEAVER, Capt. H. (Ind. Army) Served in the S. African War, 1901-2. Took part in the operations in Cape Colony, July 01 to 31 May 02. Queen's medal with 3 clasps. In brackets above (Ind. Army) what does that mean?

Humphrey was and made a Captain. 26 Dec 1910. Weaver, Captain and Double Company Officer, but where was he in 1910 which Regiment?What year did Humphrey transfer to the 114th Mahrattas Army could it have been as early as 1905?I would like to know where he was and what he was doing up to 1911 when I know then he was in the Himalayas.
Humphrey was Killed in action 1916 Mesopotamia.

I would much appreciative it if you, or someone could help with this big quirey.

Thanking you Joanna

Hi Joanna - I'm afraid that I can't help you too much as I don't have any reference material for the period in question and nothing at all on the Indian Army. However, Daggers has already given some information.

I can add that the 17th Lancers (a cavalry regiment) was totally unconnected with the South Staffordshire Regiment (infantry). Your man simply transferred from one to the other. Such transfers, either on a permanent or temporary basis, weren't uncommon especially with officers.

The (Ind Army) reference means that the officer was on the establishment of the Indian Army when he went to South Africa. The Indian Army didn't serve in the Boer War as an organisation so he would have been attached to another regiment or possibly the General Staff.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards, David

Joanna1
13-09-2008, 8:02 AM
Thank you so much. I think Humphrey must have been somehow connected to an Indian Regiment while in South Africa. If Indian Regiments did not get involved with the Boer War I wonder how this came about? If you come across anything regarding Humphrey and his where abouts from 1905 please let me know. I know he was in Hong Kong in 1906/7 where and what would any regiments be doing there, or was this a base for some regiments as it was a British Colony then? I think Humphrey must have been earlier than I think with the 114th Mahrattas Army and could well have been in the Himalaya's from 05 through to 1915 when he then went to fight in WW1 in Mesopotamia with his regiment 114th Mahrattas Indian Army and sadly was killed by the Turks. Is there anything in the London Gazette saying the facts. This is what I have but not sure if it is correct. It is a bit confusing did he join the Indian Army with the 114th Mahrattas 1910? If not which regiment was he with until then and what was he doing if anyone knows how to find out.
These are the facts I have:
Regt. 2nd Lieut. 28 Jan 03. Lieut. 22 Oct 05. Captain. 26 Dec 10. Lieut H Weaver was promoted to Capitan 26 Dec 1910 He joined the Indian Army with the 114th Mahrattas. From The London Gazette, Tuesday, Feb. 7 1911 114th Marathas and was made a Captain. 26 Dec 10. Weaver, Captain and was in the Double Company Officer.

Thank you so much again for your time interest and help.

Kind regards Joanna

Joanna1
13-09-2008, 8:34 AM
I have arrived late at this thread and may be duplcating previous posts: London Gazette, issue no. 27188, 1 May 1900, p.10: Humphrey Weaver to be 2nd Lieutenant, 3rd Battalion South Staffordshire Regt, from 20 April 1900. Issue No.27519, 27 Jan 1903, p.4: Lieut Humphrey Weaver from 3rd Battalion to be 2nd Lieutenant (vice [ie in place of] GH Townson, resigned). I did not look beyond 1905.
The 3rd Battalion would probably be a militia unit, part time, but he seems to have had take a step down when transferred to the full-time. There was a good deal of changing about while the Boer War was on - some went to great lengths to get involved.
Daggers

Dear Daggers,

I thank you for you interest, any information you may find is much appreciated.

It is very important to me to find out if CaptainHumphrey Weaverspent time in the Himalayas before he went for sure in 1911 with or without the 114th Mahrattas Indian Army. I feel Humphey was doing something of importance.

You will see my reply to David of today again he’s been mostly helpful and am most greatful to the facts I have.

Would you please be so kind and have a look in the London Gazette to see if you can find anything beyond 1903/5 to what Humphrey was doing? and see if the facts I do have are infact correct.

Regarding Oswald Weaver. Oswald he was killed in S Africa Boer war. I wrote to his school who had records on him. Sadly Humphrey (Brothers) did not go to the same school so I have not managed to track any information fromHumphrey's School. For your interest this is what I found: Clifton College is a public school not too far from Bedminster. Its Register has been published for the period 1862 - 1912 and contains the following:> > Weaver, O.J. Son of Mrs. Weaver, Clifton...left April 1891. Farming in Assiniboia. Served in S. African War with Canadian Mtd. Rifles, killed at Nooitgedacht, Oct.22, 1900, while on dangerous scouting for which he had volunteered.

Looking forward very much to hearing from you, or anyone who can kindly add to the unknown cap from 1903/5 to 1911 regarding Humphrey Weaver

Kindest regards

Joanna

Joanna1
13-09-2008, 9:52 AM
Daggers

Just thought this News Paper Article may help, Humphreys notice in Times regarding his Wedding two days later in The Times announcements, Thursday, Jan 12, 1911; pg. 1; Issue 39480; col A

(If they were married 10th Jan 1911 and the artcile quotes 114th Mahrattas it proves Humphrey must have been with the Regiment from at least 1910).

Marriages
Weaver : Wheeler
On the 10th Jan. at St Mary Abbot's, Kensington by Canon Owen Williams, Chancellor of Bangor Cathedral, assisted by Rev. Canon Childe D.D. and Rev. F.E. Overton, vicar of St. Saviour's, Sunbury Common. Humphrey Weaver. 114th Mahrattas younger son of the late James Homer Weaver and Mrs. Weaver of Chew Stoke, Somersetshire, to Clytie, eldest daughter of the late Henry Wheeler and Mrs. wheeler, Middleton lodge, Cheltenham.

Hope this helps

Regards Joanna

daggers
14-09-2008, 6:53 AM
London Gazette has three entries, 1906-1919:
#27900 publ 3 Apr 1906: Indian Army, to be Second Lieutenant - 2nd Lieutenant H... W..., 114th Mahrattas, from the South Staffordhsire Regiment; dated 22nd October 1905 but to rank from 28th January 1908***.
#27914, 18 May 1906, India Office - promotion 2nd Lieut to Lieut, dated 22nd Oct 1905.
#28463 7 Feb 1911, Lieut to Captain, dated 26 Dec 1910.
*** I shall recheck that 1908 and repost if it is wrong.

The India Office collection at the British Library [[email protected]] has two catalogue refs, one to HW's memorial inscription at Basra, the other to a biographical file, which should be available at the BL, St Pancras if you contact them. I do not know how much it will contain.
Daggers

daggers
14-09-2008, 10:17 AM
The 1908 date I posted above should have read 'to rank from 28th Jan 1903'. The figure was slightly blurred in the LG image.

A final thought on tracing more on Humphrey W - there might have been an obituary in a local paper or even a parish magazine, if you know where the family lived in 1916. Otherwise I can only suggest the India Office files at the British Library, as I have suggested in the p.m. sent earlier.
Daggers

Joanna1
15-09-2008, 6:54 AM
Dear Daggers,

This is a marvelous break through. Thank you so so much.

If I understand it correctly this is as follows:
Humphrey was with the 114TH Mahrattas Indian Army transferred from the South Staffordshire Regiment.

From 28th January 1903 Humphrey was then promoted to 2nd Lieut on 22nd Oct 1905.

May 18th 1906 Humphrey was promoted by the India Office - promotion 2nd Lieut to Lieut, dated 22nd Oct 1905

7 Feb 1911, Lieut to Captain, dated 26 Dec 1910.

I am now presuming and hoping that Humphrey was in fact in India from 1903 all the way through to 1915 if so a very very interesting piece of history will unravel. But first we have to find out more of his career if possible on record.

There could well have been something in the local news papers/ magazine, do know how to search and would be kind enough to do so? I would be so delighted and aprrecaite it.

This is where the family where living the year Humphrey was born Humphrey's father died the following year 1882. then this is where the family where living 1911

RG11 2451/19
Raglan House, Bedminster, Somerset

1911 In the Times the announcement of Humphrey’s marriage 10th Jan1911 printed Jan 12th 1911. It said Humphrey Weaver was from: ‘Weston-in-Gordano’Chew Stoke, Somersetshire.

No address known as yet where the family where living the time of Humphreys death 1916.

All the best and thank you again Joanna

daggers
15-09-2008, 8:40 AM
I had not realised you were so far away. Next suggestion: try posting a request for a look-up in a Bristol paper, 1916, after the date of Humphrey's death, in case any obit. was printed. Start a new thread with Bristol in the title, so that it catches the right eyes. Using this thread will probably not do the trick.
D

daggers
15-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Here again.
I have spoken to the British Library section dealing with Indian records. They suggest you email to apac-enquiries AT bl DOT uk and ask about any records available on Humphrey Weaver, 114th Mahrattas, 1903-1916. They will do a free search of up to 30 minutes and if they cannot find anything they may suggest other sources.
That exhausts my own ideas; I hope they can produce something for you.
D

Joanna1
15-09-2008, 3:21 PM
Here again.
I have spoken to the British Library section dealing with Indian records. They suggest you email to apac-enquiries AT bl DOT uk and ask about any records available on Humphrey Weaver, 114th Mahrattas, 1903-1916. They will do a free search of up to 30 minutes and if they cannot find anything they may suggest other sources.
That exhausts my own ideas; I hope they can produce something for you.
D

How very kind of you to speak to the British Library for me thank you very very much. I presume this is the email address: apac-enquiries AT bl DOT
You have been amazing thank you again so much Wishes Joanna

Joanna1
15-09-2008, 3:24 PM
I had not realised you were so far away. Next suggestion: try posting a request for a look-up in a Bristol paper, 1916, after the date of Humphrey's death, in case any obit. was printed. Start a new thread with Bristol in the title, so that it catches the right eyes. Using this thread will probably not do the trick.
D

Thank you again, will do this tomorrow. You have been really incredibly helpful marvelous Hiho Joanna

Joanna1
16-09-2008, 9:10 AM
Sorry to bother you busy members. Does anyone have the email address of the BL.

The one I have is returned to me: [email protected] is there another one?
should I gone to a forum if so, where is that?

Many thanks. Kind regards

Joanna :)

daggers
16-09-2008, 10:57 AM
enquires should be enquiries. The i was missing.
D

ExDevonport
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
How can one find out by name only which regiment an officer was in who fought in the Boer War?...... By the age of 19 yrs he was 2nd Lieutenant.. Names were Humphrey Weaver survivor.....

London Times May 02, 1900, quotes from The London Gazette, Tuesday, May 1.
3rd South Staffordshire Regiment, to be 2nd Lieutenant, H. Weaver.

Unfortunately only first name initial printed.

James.

Joanna1
05-10-2008, 5:38 AM
London Times May 02, 1900, quotes from The London Gazette, Tuesday, May 1.
3rd South Staffordshire Regiment, to be 2nd Lieutenant, H. Weaver.

Unfortunately only first name initial printed.

James.

Thank you James Joanna

kaigs
02-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Hello Joanna1,
There is a 326 Private Oswald James Weaver, 2nd Battalion Canadian Mounted Rifles who was killed in action 22 October 1900 at Middleburg Mpumulanga and his name is on the following monuments; Middleburg Mpumulanga Blinkwater-Brugspruit/Angican Church Calgary Alberta Canada.
Regards
Brian Kaighin

Joanna1
03-09-2009, 1:56 PM
Brian thank you so much this is so wonderful. Is there a picture of this do you know of the monument at: Middleburg Mpumulanga Blinkwater-Brugspruit/Angican Church Calgary Alberta Canada?
Many thanks again.
Kind regards
Joanna

kaigs
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Yes there are, try eggsa.org for the SA monuments and the Canadian one I wrote to the Anglican Church in Calgary, you will find them on the web.
regards
Brian