PDA

View Full Version : BECK/FAWDREY/TIDMARSH/PEACHEY

Roses
17-03-2008, 4:00 PM
Hi,

I discovered this website by accident, and I'm very glad I did.

It all started about a month ago, my mother received a letter from Brian Fawdray in New Zealand, who is trying to trace his family, who originally came from Enstone. He wrote to four Fawdrays in this area.

His great great grandfather William migrated to New Zealand in 1874. The family sailed from England on the 'waimate' departing 27/10/1874 arriving in Lyttleton 25/1/1875.

My mothers family 'BECK' come from Enstone, Great Tew, and surrounding villages, my fathers side come from Kiddington, Bladon, Charlbury, Fawler.

We have a family tree but cannot locate any members of Brians family or our family on it.

My great great grandmother Eliza Peachey was born in Charlbury 29 Mar 1845, she was the daughter of James Peachey and Maria Willis. My great grandmother was the daughter of Eliza Peachey, her name was Louisa Tidmarsh, she married my great grandfather Richard Fawdrey. She already had a son Arthur Algernon who was born out of wedlock, and took her surname. I would love to trace the real father of Arthur Algernon Fawdrey.

I am very new to this game and would probably never started tracing my family if it hadn't been for Brians letter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Geoffers
17-03-2008, 6:17 PM
HiIt all started about a month ago, my mother received a letter from Brian Fawdray in New Zealand, who is trying to trace his family, who originally came from Enstone. He wrote to four Fawdrays in this area. His great great grandfather William migrated to New Zealand in 1874.

Any idea of rough year of birth for William FAWDR(A/E)Y? Does he turn up in the 1871 census?

My great great grandmother Eliza Peachey was born in Charlbury 29 Mar 1845, she was the daughter of James Peachey and Maria Willis

Just to make sure that I have the correct family, is this the group at RG10/1455 f15 p22 - Hunt's Farm, Pound Hill, Charlbury, with Louisa aged 6? (1871 census)

her name was Louisa Tidmarsh, she married my great grandfather Richard Fawdrey. She already had a son Arthur Algernon who was born out of wedlock, and took her surname. I would love to trace the real father of Arthur Algernon Fawdrey.

Any clues from the birth certificate? Arthur Algernon appears to have been born in 1884 in Steeple Barton - Have you tried running through the 1881/91 census to see if there was an adult Arthur Algernon - or just plain Algernon living in the Bartons?

Any idea where Richard FAWDREY was in 1884?

Roses
18-03-2008, 7:19 AM
William Fawdrey was born 10 July 1835 in Enstone, it could be him on the 1871 census as born at Woodstock, I think Enstone parish comes under Woodstock.? I will need to investigate this further.

Arthur Algernon (Tidmarsh) (Fawdrey) is the same one born in 1884 in Steeple Barton. Again I will check the 1881/91 census to see if there was an adult Arthur Algernon.

You probably know but 'Algernon' is a French name, the family thinks we descended from the 'Huguenots' in the 1600's when we moved to England, (don't know how true this is).

Thanks Geoff for pointing me in the right direction to check these things out.
This will keep me busy for a while.

Roses

Roses
18-03-2008, 7:30 AM
Forgot to answer your other question.

Yes I'm sure it's the family who lived at Hunt's farm in Charlbury. This rings bells somewhere.

Geoffers
18-03-2008, 7:40 AM
William Fawdrey was born 10 July 1835 in Enstone, it could be him on the 1871 census as born at Woodstock, I think Enstone parish comes under Woodstock.? I will need to investigate this further.

Census returns should show the place of birth (parish, or town) rather than district.

I think I found your ol'bor at:

RG10/1442 f43 p5
Mill St Islip
William FAWDREY, hd, mar, 35, ag.lab, bn Enstone
Eliza Fawdrey, wf, mar, 32, bn Stanton St.John
Esther Fawdrey, dau, 1, bn Islip

You probably know but 'Algernon' is a French name, the family thinks we descended from the 'Huguenots' in the 1600's when we moved to England, (don't know how true this is).

Unless the name is handed down generation after generation, I'd ignore this for the time being. Family stories can act as a distraction; in trying to show Arthur's parentage, concentrate on the direct information relating to him - keep the other information in the back of your mind for when it is needed.

In trying to establish the parentage, you will (with difficulty) need to establish where his mum was living, her job, things that may be relevant to her circumstances - try checking the banns register to see if she try to get married about this time and if there were any objections, check to see if she was admitted to the workhouse. Look all the way through the parish register to see if the vicar added any notes - bits of gossip - anywhere, some (Not many) did this in the form of a journal. Check the parish register for baptisms to see if there are any hints. It's difficult to establish who the father was, but sometimes possible.

Geoffers
18-03-2008, 7:51 AM
Roses - I've moved this thread over to the Oxfordshire forum where folks who are specifically interested in the county and just look for threads relating to it, may pick it up.

For anyone picking up this thread from new, it has another one which is associated with it and may be of interest, you'll find it here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27450)

In the second thread, you asked about Bastardy Bonds. A very short precis:

Legislation in 1733 required women to declare when they were pregnant with an illegitimate child and to give details of the father to the parish. Parish officials would then attempt to make the father cough up maintenance by way of a Bond of Indemnity which was either a lump sum or money paid over a period of time. If need be a warrant could be issued to arrest the dad. This changed with an amendment to the Poor Law in the mid-19th century, from which time the mother of an illegit chld could apply for maintenance at the court (Petty Sessions) and you do sometimes find information there.

Geoffers
18-03-2008, 8:53 AM
In case to helps to give an idea of how you can use records to eventually reach the truth about a father of an illegitimate child, have a browse of this thread which I posted in 2007. See this link (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19204)

janbooth
18-03-2008, 10:02 AM
I have had a look through The Oxfordshire FHS PR transcripts of Steeple Barton to see if there were any clues as to Arthur's parentage but he was not baptised in Steeple Barton. The family appear on the 1891 census of Shipton on Cherwell as follows:

RG12/1173, folio 80, page 1
Shipton Farm

Richard FAWDRY Head M 34 Agricultural Laborer Oxfordshire Kidlington
Louisa do Wife M 26 do Fawler
Arthur A TIDMARSH Stepson 6 do Steeple Barton
James do Lodger S 16 Agricultural Laborer do Hampton Poyle

In the 1901 census of Kiddington, he is now known as Arthur FAWDRY and living with Richard & Louisa. There is a marriage registration for Louisa TIDMARSH & Richard FAWDREY in the September qtr 1889 at Woodstock registration district, vol 3a, page 1242 - in case you do not already have it.

Louisa is in Oxford St Giles in the 1881 census working as a domestic servant in the household of a William DOLLEY.

HTH

Janet

janbooth
18-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Roses,

Further to my last post, from the OFHS PR transcripts of Kidlington:

28 September 1889 Richard FAWDRY, 34, widower, labourer, of the parish, son Richard, labourer married Louisa TIDMARSH, 24, spinster, of the parish, daughter Charles, labourer. Witnesses: John TIDMARSH Annie TIDMARSH

I also looked on Oxford St Giles for the baptism of Arthur Algernon, but no joy there either, nor was he baptised at Kidlington.

Janet

Roses
18-03-2008, 2:07 PM
Thanks Janbooth and Geoffers for all your information, it has been very helpful.

I will try and find further info on Arthur and his family. His stepfather Richard Fawdrey was previously married and had a child but they both died.

Thanks again

Roses

Roses
29-03-2008, 2:24 PM
Could someone possibly help me by looking up the 1861/1871 Census for:
William Peachey DOB: 1939 Charlbury
George Peachey DOB: 1841 Charlbury
Elizabeth Peachey DOB:1843 Charlbury

It would be nice to know there whereabouts, if they were still in Charlbury.

Many thanks

Roses

Jan1954
29-03-2008, 2:52 PM
Well, by 1861 it looks like young George has moved from the family home. He's a groom, aged 19, on Kilkenny Farm, Bilbury, Gloucestershire, the head of the household being William Garne, Farmer.

RG9/1786/37/15

Roses
29-03-2008, 3:04 PM
Thanks very much Jan.

Judy

Jan1954
29-03-2008, 3:14 PM
Haven't found George in 1871 or William in 1861 but I found William in 1871:

Kelmscott, Oxfordshire

William Peachey, Head, Mar, 31, Ag Lab, b Charlbury, Oxon
Eliza Peachey, Wife, Mar, 34, b Bledington, Glostershire (sic)
George James Peachey, son, 4, scholar, b Fawler (?), Oxon
Ann Elizabeth Peachey, dau, 7 months, b Kelmscott, Oxon

RG10/1258/41/11

And this looks like their marriage:

Marriages Mar 1864
Boddington Ann Chipping N 3a 802
Hitchcocks Henry Chipping N. 3a 802
Peachey William Chipping N 3a 802
Winter Eliza Chipping N 3a 802

Roses
29-03-2008, 3:28 PM
Thanks Jan, this is very interesting. So William has moved to Kelmscott by 1871.

A family member has found out that Williams brother John Peachey born.1836 in Langford, died after 1920 in Lafayette County Mississippi U.S.A. How would I find out more about this.

Many thanks

Roses

Jan1954
29-03-2008, 3:34 PM
Thanks Jan, this is very interesting. So William has moved to Kelmscott by 1871.

A family member has found out that Williams brother John Peachey born.1836 in Langford, died after 1920 in Lafayette County Mississippi U.S.A. How would I find out more about this.

Many thanks

Roses

You're welcome.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of the USA will be able to help with John.

Jan1954
29-03-2008, 4:29 PM
I'm having the devil's own job of finding Elizabeth in 1861 & 1871. However, if she was around then, she may have ultimately died unmarried in 1909:

Deaths Dec 1909
PEACHEY Elizabeth 55 Chipping N. 3a 583

I haven't checked the other censuses for her, though...

Roses
29-03-2008, 4:32 PM
Thanks for all your help Jan.

I hae just joined a Forum in Lafayette Co, Mississippi, and have Found John Peachey on it, am just waiting for my acceptance then I can have a look at his files.

Will let you know what I find.

Judy

geoffpowers
30-06-2008, 1:14 PM
Geoffers

Legislation in 1733 required women to declare when they were pregnant with an illegitimate child and to give details of the father to the parish. Parish officials would then attempt to make the father cough up maintenance by way of a Bond of Indemnity which was either a lump sum or money paid over a period of time. If need be a warrant could be issued to arrest the dad. This changed with an amendment to the Poor Law in the mid-19th century, from which time the mother of an illegit chld could apply for maintenance at the court (Petty Sessions) and you do sometimes find information there.

One wonders what happened in the event that the child was in fact fathered by the local squire or one of his sons, or some other member of local 'society'. Was the whole thing 'hushed up' and simply dealt with behind the backs of the Overseers of the Poor on payment of an appropriate sum, and an injunction to the young woman to remain 'stumm'?

Geoff Powers

Geoffers
30-06-2008, 2:45 PM
One wonders what happened in the event that the child was in fact fathered by the local squire or one of his sons, or some other member of local 'society'. Was the whole thing 'hushed up' and simply dealt with behind the backs of the Overseers of the Poor on payment of an appropriate sum, and an injunction to the young woman to remain 'stumm'?

The only example in my own family dates from the 19th century. It will only ever remain supposition which of course may be incorrect - but - a single woman who was my direct ancestor's sister worked as a servant for a local family (the head was a farmer and local JP) and after a couple of years she gave birth to a son.

The woman then disappeared from the face of the earth until she returned to her home parish to be buried a few years later (her death certificate records the cause as 'exhaustion'). Her illegitimate son was brought up by her father. Her father in all but one record was shown as the father of the child - in one record he is shown correctly as the grandfather.

Soon after the birth of the child, his grandfather was got a new job as a miller, a step up from his previous work. He was able to apprentice the child to a carpenter/builder (the indenture again shows the child as being the grandfather's son). By the time the son reached his early 20s, he was a builder with his own premises - his grandfather could not have afforded this.

The illegitimate child in later years told his family he knew the identity of his father - but annoyingly didn't give a name. He married (his grandfather shown as his dad on the birth certificate) and had 13 children. The first of which was a son who was given two forenames. His first name was the same as the surname of the landowing family for whom his mum had been a servant, the second forename was the same as one of the sons of the landowning family who was the same age as the illegitimate child's mum.

It may be a case of reading too much into this tale, or it may be a case of an agreement being reached - 'tis the problem with such arrangements, they were intended to be covert and I suspect often remained so; the result is that we are left with bits of the jigsaw by which we can make what appears to be sense of the overall picture, but unless we get all the pieces, we will never be sure.