PDA

View Full Version : GREEN, Riachard and Harriet (nee Gardner) - WOODSTOCK, WOOTON

RuhaMD
17-03-2008, 3:09 AM
Kia Ora
I am quite a newbie to researching my UK ancestors - I am from New Zealand -- so can't just pop down to the chapel and check out parish reocrds - or to the county regsiters. I have had a lot of access to the BMD and Census records from post 1837 -- but not to any records (parish ) before that.
Richard Green was born in Woodstock in 1832, his father was Thomas Green - 1800. His mother was Rosehannah (someone) He had a sister called Lydia Ann and two bpothers called Woilliam (we think) The oldest William died as a young child -- and it seems Rosehannah also passed away around 1837 / 1841 - seems the bay was cared for by relatives.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Deni

ChristineR
17-03-2008, 4:12 AM
Hi Deni

Looking at the catalogue of the holdings of the Latter Day Saints, they do not have filmed register records either. They have some transcripts publications but not for circulation to the family history centres which they have all over the world.

I see that the Parish Chest has a cd on offer from Archives CD Books Ltd.

http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php

A Marriages cd for Oxfordshire, includes Wootton 1564 -1837.

Or you could check out the Parish register publications on the Oxfordshire Family History Society's web site.

ChristineR :)

Peter Goodey
17-03-2008, 8:21 AM
Thomas GREEN married Rosanna SMITH at Wootton on 13 Sep 1830.

There's no denying that Oxfordshire can be a problem because the Mormons didn't film much - they were sent packing as soon as the church authorities twigged what they were up to.

You'll have to resort to the transcriptions published by Oxon FHS and quite possibly using a local researcher.

Oxfordshire is one of the counties I'm interested in but at least I have access to the collection of the Society of Genealogists.

RuhaMD
17-03-2008, 10:57 AM
THank you so much -- how do you know this? - and how do I reference it in my family tree? (told you I was a beginner) I have been advised to buy a resource on Woodstock marriages (Wooton) - however once I find a marriage -- how then do I know parents and children -- are there also resources around christenings etc Then -- once I find people, sometimes there are 2 people with the same names born around the same time -- and married around the same time - how do we link the right partners or right parents and not head off in the completely wrong direction -- what are the safe guards?? it would be ever so helpful if we could get a bit of what is probably very basic advice. Cheers

Peter Goodey
17-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Very wise questions. The source can probably be cited as the "Oxfordshire Marriage Index, 1538-1837", published by the Oxfordshire Family History Society.

Note that this is an index so you really need the parish registers to confirm. However that particular index does include the marital status and "home" parish, if shown. Nothing is shown in this case, so a reasonable assumption is that they both were bachelor/spinster and both of the parish of Wootton.

If you buy the transcript for Wootton, Oxon FHS are not very informative about the coverage. I'd advise you to enquire before buying.

To find parents and children, you need to search the baptism registers.

Peter Goodey
17-03-2008, 12:21 PM
About coverage, I've had a look at the Society of Genealogists library catalogue which shows:

WOOTTON : C 1564-1966, M 1564-1986, B 1564-1889, banns 1755-1835 [Microfiche.]
Published Oxfordshire FHS 1994
Author Goadby, F R L (trans.)

If that's the same product, the coverage would probably be OK for your needs.

I can't guarantee how long the families had been in Wootton ;).

christopher_n_lewis
18-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Very wise questions. The source can probably be cited as the "Oxfordshire Marriage Index, 1538-1837", published by the Oxfordshire Family History Society.

Note that this is an index so you really need the parish registers to confirm. However that particular index does include the marital status and "home" parish, if shown. Nothing is shown in this case, so a reasonable assumption is that they both were bachelor/spinster and both of the parish of Wootton.

If you buy the transcript for Wootton, Oxon FHS are not very informative about the coverage. I'd advise you to enquire before buying.

To find parents and children, you need to search the baptism registers.

A number of points here...

Yes, the Oxfordshire Marriage Index is just that, an index. It does not include all the material from the original source, so you should look for that.

OFHS has transcribed the Wooton registers, including marriages, baptisms, and burials. The transcript can be purchased on CD. The coverage is as described on the SOG website. Many of the surrounding parishes are on the same CD; see the listings and map produced by OFHS which is available for download. Most of the OFHS CDs include scans of the booklet "Oxfordshire Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Seventh edition 2006" by Colin Harris, which lists in great detail which registers exist, which have been fimed and/or transcribed, which library they can be seen in, what is available to purchase etc. etc. Very useful for anyone researching Oxfordshire relatives. You can buy the booklet separately from OFHS.

Once you know the details from the transcript, you can often get copies of the relevant pages from the Record Office concerned (usually for a fee). Or employ an agent.

As you are newcomers to the hobby, here are some tips-

Welcome, it is great fun. You've made a good start by finding Oxfordshire; there are far more transcripts, indexes, MIs and the like for Oxfordshire than some other counties.

Get a good book about tracing your family history, I imagine there are some in New Zealand about tracing English forebears. Personally I would suggest that it need not be completely up-to-date and with all the internet whistles and bells, it just needs to be clear on technique. You can get internet based books later from FFHS. A good book will pay for itself rapidly by saving wasted time, effort, and purchases.

Always check the web pages of the local FHS, they may have exactly what you are loooking for. Try publications and search services, but just roam about the site to get a feel for what is available.

Check out the relevant GENUKI pages for the counties of interest. Again, roam around, there is much original material tucked away.

Sometimes, yes, there are two possible sets of parents, and sometimes you will have to follow both in an attempt to distinguish them. Also try to trace siblings, cousins and descendents, you may find those lines give you the answer. Check that you know when everyone died. Wills are very useful. Eventually you may conclude that you are not able to pick the 'right' line, but by that time you may have decided they people you are tracing are interesting in their own right, and not solely because they may be your great, great-something.

You may have discovered this already, but the 1861 census pages for Wooton and surrounding area were lost many years ago.

HTH
Christopher

RuhaMD
18-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Thank you -- that explains a lot -- I could not find them in 1861 and thought it was of more signifigance than it actually was. I knew they came out in 1875 on the Gala. Following the New Zealand line has not been too diffcult as our family has long generation gaps and I am only 3 generations removed foroom the originals (well 4 from Richard Green -- but Frederick came over with him) -- and the other real benefit is my mother -- she is 91 years young and still of very sounf mind -- she is remembering heaps -- she even remembers her Grandfather -- the orginal Borthwick who came out in the Gold Rush.

It is so interesting finding out the stories -- last wekk I uncovered 1 great great grandmother and 4 greart grandmothers of mine enrolled for the first ever election in which women were able to vote - 1893 - I obviously come from a strong line of pioneering women -- my own daughter was very proud of this discovery (she is 20)

Anyhow -- the next big question is to ask for some help to find my forebears 'brother" -- William Green.(b, abt 1837, Old Woodstock)

The story goes like this -- we think his mother (who I now know to be Roseanna Smith) died when he was a baby - and that he was brought up by relatives.

Roseanna was obvioulsy alive when he was born, however is not on the 1841 census -- the family seems to be split up (there were 2 other children). There is no death record in ancestry.com BMD for Roseanna.

By 1851 the two oldest were again living with their father. (RTchard B. 1832, and Lydia Ann b. 1835)

BUT -- on arrival to NZ with his family of youngish children Richard did not enrol them in school himself -- it is a 'William Green" who is cited on the Queenstown school register for 1875.

Given I can't find -- or identify him with certainty in the census records -- and have trolled thru the passenger lists to no avail thus far -- how would you suggest I go about confirming this (or not as the case may be) and if it wasn't him - I am at a loss to think about how to identify who this William Green who was not on the boat - but who was in Queenstown in 1875 .

Cheers