PDA

View Full Version : ADELINA DE LARA- CONCERT PIANIST- CRAWCOUR FAMILY LINKS

phillip
15-03-2008, 8:26 PM
Adelina De Lara the famous concert pianist is related to my Crawcour lines via her maternal grandmother Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour and her husband David Laurent De Lara c1806-76 from Amsterdam. In addition, Sarah c 1804-79 was the daughter of Isaac Crawcour and Simha Cohen De Lara ( her parents were Abraham and Mary).
David De Lara and Sarah had 5 children- Simharia,Alfred, Rachel, Anne, Hannah.
Anne De Lara was both a vocalist and pianist who married Joseph Laurence when she was 16. He was a solicitor but left her and her children destitute. Anne married George Matthew Tilbury c 1839-1883 ( he was also known as George Preston an engraver). Their daughter Lottie Adelian Preston b 1872 adopted her mother's maiden name Adelina De Lara and began a musucal career but her father died age 43 and her mother Anne died one week later leaving Adelina and two very young siblings. Interestingly in Adelina's memoir ' Finale' she describes her maternal grandmother as 'a Polish Jewess of the name Cracour, that of an important Polish military family who lived in Kracow, in that part of Poland then under Austrian rule'.

Samuel Crawcour b 1748 d 1816 ( my 5 x great grandfather) the father of Isaac Crawcour was an apothecary/surgeon dentist who arrived in England circa 1760s- the name Crawcour ( also spelt Cracour ) is derived from Kracow Poland.

If any researchers are interested in further details egarding the lines they are welcome to contact me.
Phillip

KitHain78
17-11-2018, 3:17 PM
Hi, I was researching Adelina de Lara as I couldn't remember her eldest sister's name, and came across this letter. I too am a descendant of hers, her great-granddaughter. Her son Denis Eward Bernard Kingston-Shipwright was my grandfather.

Denis's son, my father, was also a musician, a fine singer, as was (reportedly) his mother, Denis's first wife Kate Hain. For most of my professional life I too have been a musician (singer and song writer), as are my brother and several cousins, and I have one particular great-niece who is an extraordinary talent at the piano! So the gene lives on...

I'm also particularly alert to family history at the moment as, on my father's side, his uncle Capt. Edward Hain was just honoured by being the soldier whose image was drawn in the sand at St. Ives, Cornwall as part of Danny Boyle's Armistice Day "Pages of the Sea" centenary event. My brother and I were both there with 2 of our cousins, so family history is at the forefront of our consciousness at the moment!

All best to whoever's reading, Kit Grindstaff, née Hain

phillip
17-11-2018, 6:56 PM
Hi Kit
It's good to hear from a distant relative. I wrote this message 10 years ago. My Uncle Ted remembered Adelina visiting( probably my grandmother or 2x great grandmother Amelia Hart 1841-1928) and playing the piano when he was a young boy. Ted died a few years ago in his 90s. My distant cousin Patrick Coppel in Melbourne and I researched Adelina and our Crawcour lines in great detail and we have a very large data base( including you) on the lines worldwide. My direct line is via David Crawcour who died 1882 St Helier Jersey my 4x great grandfather and youngest son of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816.

I may well post more on Thomas Johnson Shipwright and the lines.
Very best wishes

Phillip

phillip
17-11-2018, 7:24 PM
I wrote a very brief post some years ago headed Hannah de Lara and Henry Russell. This line relates to my own Crawcour/Hart lines and in the case of Sir Landon Ronald Russell 1873-1938 he was a 1st cousin to Adelina De Lara. I have also explored the Henry Russell line in some detail because of his connection to both of my 2 separate Hart lines who married into each other.
Phillip

phillip
22-11-2018, 4:25 PM
This post is the initial part of future data and records on the family relationships between the famous Victorian musician and song writer Henry Russell and his first wife Isabella Lloyd and their daughter also Isabella aka Isabel who married John aka Isaac Davies aka Davis. My research will also include data on John aka Isaac Davis aka Davies son of David Davies aka Davis and Ann Crawcour.
The research will show that the Davis aka Davies family was closely related to Henry Russell through the marriage of his daughter Isabella to John aka Isaac Davies and in addition through John's mother Ann Crawcour to Hannah De Lara who married Henry Russell.
Ann Crawcour b circa 1802 was the daughter of Isaac Crawcour and Simha Cohen de Lara. Anne's sister Sarah Abigail Crawcour b circa 1804 was the daughter also of Isaac and Simha. Sarah married David Laurent Cohen De Lara in 1828.

To add to the interrelationships between the Crawcour/De Lara/Russell lines both my two separate paternal Hart lines married into the Davis/Davies and the Crawcour lines. Amelia Hart daughter of John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs married Maurice Davies son of David Davis/Davies and Ann Crawcour. John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs being my 3x great grandparents.
In addition, Henry Chapman Hart brother of Amelia married Amelia Hart daughter of Aaron Hart and Ann Rebecca Crawcour- my 2nd and 3rd great grandparents respectively. Ann aka Rebecca Crawcour was the daughter of David Crawcour died 1882 my x4 great grandfather and brother of Isaac, Ann and Sarah Crawcour the children of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 my 5x great grandfather.
Catherine aka Kate Crawcour daughter of John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs had also married Abraham Crawcour.

All of the above data is relevant to Adeline de Lara aka Preston aka Tilbury because of the relationship and marriage of Hannah de Lara to Henry Russell and not least because of the shared Crawcour relationship I have with Adeline.

I will post further on the Laurence aka Lawrence/Tilbury/Russell and other lines because the data on the lines has been unclear and not fully recognised.

Phillip

phillip
22-11-2018, 4:55 PM
The data and information on Adelina De Lara should be read in conjunction with previous threads on the various lines:
Abraham Cohen de Lara d 1829 London 24.5.2011 see #18 and onwards in particular; Maurice Davies-Amelia Hart 22.4.2013; Hannah De Lara and Henry Russell 29.8.2009; Amelia Hart 1843-1907-Davies-Wileman-Coopman 28.4.2018 and the numerous Crawcour and Jacobs posts.

In the previous post I wrote about the marriage of John aka Isaac Davies aka Davis to Isabella Russell the daughter of Henry Russell and Isabella Lloyd.

As will be shown, there appears to have been a 'falling out' between the Davis and the executors of Moses Crawcour will which referred to John aka Isaac Davis/Davies and a bequest.
The Law Journal Reports 1862 ( see online Google Books) refers to the Court case Davis v Angel in 1862. Angel was Moses Angel Headmaster of the Jew's Free School who had married Rebecca Godfrey daughter of Godfrey Levy aka Levy Godfrey and a Crawcour (I will post the link to previous threads on the lines).
Moses Crawcour 1781-1858 was the son of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 and Rebecca and a very close friend of Moses Angel.
In his will Moses Crawcour had stated that one part of his residuary estate should be held in trust for his nephew Isaac Davis son of David and Ann Davis in case he should marry Moses niece Esther Godfrey.. in case the said I Davis did not marry Esther then the bequest would not take effect. On the 13 June 1857 Isaac aka John Davis aka Davies married Isabella Russell.

The Davis sought to have the bequest honoured but the Court rejected the case.

I will post on Isaac/John Russell.

Phillip

phillip
22-11-2018, 6:14 PM
In my previous post I stated that I would provide further data on Isaac/John Davis aka Davies and Isabella Russell. I will post later on in this thread. However, for the moment I have been reviewing the comment by Adelina De Lara in her book 'Finale' that her father Joseph Lawrence was a solicitor.
I have looked at the UK Articles of Clerkship 1756-1874 and see no evidence that he was articled or ever became a solicitor. Indeed on the GRO Marriage Certificate for Joseph Lawrence and Anne De Lara he is a Commission Agent:
Parish Church St.Andrew Holborn Middlesex
19 May 1857
Joseph LAWRENCE Bachelor Gentleman Bedford Street Bedford Row -father John Lawrence
Anne de LARA spinster full age no occupation Parish of St George Bloomsbury-father David De Lara Gentleman
Witnesses Charles George Brett; Rachel de Lara;Charles Richards

The 1861 Census shows:
RG9 103 124 20 (Copyright TNA)
26 Burton Street Tottenham Middlesex
Joseh LAWRENCE H M 28 Commission Agent b Lincs Grantham
Ann wife 32 vocalist b Middx St George
Sarah A dau 2 b Middx St Martins
David D son 5 months b Middx St Pancras

The 1851 Census provides data on what sort of Commission Agent Joseph might have been:
HO107 1499 454 30 (Crown Copyright TNA)
2 Upper Brunswick Terrace Islington
Elizabeth Groom H Widow 64 fundholder b Derbyshire Walton
Wlliam J Son 30 warehouseman Hosiery b Middx Bloomsbury
JOSEPH LAWRENCE U 18 Wholesale Bookseller b Grantham Lincolnshire

I will post further data which suggests that Joseph Lawrence father was John Lawrence a Sexton.

Phillip

phillip
22-11-2018, 7:03 PM
Rootsweb November 2008 -Lawrence and De Lara Middlesex has a range of posts relating to the Lawrence and De Lara line.
The 1841 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 6251 27 2
Alm Lane Grantham Lincolnshire
John Lawrence 45 Sexton born in county
Joseph Lawrence 8
John Lawrence 6
Charles Lawrence 1
All born in county

1851 (Copyright TNA) HO107 2103 264 22
North Street Little Gonerby Grantham Lincs
John Lawrence H M 55 Sexton b Grantham
Ellen wife 49 b Grimsby
John Henry son 16 teacher b Grantham
Charles son 11 b Grantham
+1 servant

1861 (Copyright TNA)
RG9 2351 67 1
4 North Street Manthorpe Cum Little Gonerby Grantham Lincs
John Lawrence H N 65 Apparitor and Sexton b Grantham
Ellen wife 62 b Grimsby
John Lawrence grandson 3 b Bayswater Middx
+1 servant

I will post on Joseph Lawrence/Anne de Lara further.

Phillip

phillip
23-11-2018, 9:04 AM
I am aware that there is a Hain family tree on Ancestry.Com in the Public domain. This tree contains a range of data on the lines but is incomplete regarding some of the associated lines through marriages. In this thread I will fill in some missing gaps based on my current research and the records available.
By 1871 Anne aka Annie aka Ann Lawrence was living with her parents and recorded as a widow. There is a GRO Death Index record for a Joseph Lawrence June qtr 1870 age 37 Grantham 7a 267.

I have not seen a copy of this certificate nor does it appear in on the Hain family tree or data base. It would useful to obtain the record to confirm whether or not it does show the death of Joseph Lawrence husband of Anne.
1871 Census RG10 339 4 1 (Copyright TNA)
3 Torrington Square St.George Bloomsbury
David Laurence De Lara H M 64 Illuminating artist to the Queen b Amsterdam Holland
Sarag wife 65 b London
Annie Laurence dau widow 31 Musician b London
Sarah dau 12 b London
David son 9 b London
Penelope dau 4 b London
+1 servant

I will post later on the children born with parents Joseph and Anne but Penelope Jane Lawrence b 10 May 1865 was baptised Canwick 2 Sept 1866.

By 1881 Adelina aka Lottie had been born and is recorded with her parents George and Anne aka Anna:
I will post later the full reference for the census- (Crown Copyright TNA)
73 Spring Hill Birmingham Warwickshire
George TILBURY HM 42 Engraver b Middx London
Anna wife 39 Professor of Music b Middx London
Helen dau 20 Engraver's daughter b Middx London
Penelope dau 14 Engraver's dau b Middx London
LOTTIE dau 8 scholarb Cumberland Carlisle

Currently, I have not seen a marriage record between George Tilbury and Anne.

George Tilbury had married Ann Newell FULTON in 1857- GRO Marriage Index Oct qtr 1857 Hampshire 2c 65- George Matthew Tilbury-Ann Newell Fulton

They appear in the 1861 Census:
RG9 77 114 30
30 Adam..? Street Marylebone Middlesex
George M TILBURY H M 25 Heraldic Engraver b Hampshire Southampton
Ann N wife 24 b Gloucestershire C..??
Frank W son 3 b Hampshire
Percy A son 1 b Middx Pimlico
Rodney G son 1 mth b Marylebone

I will post further on George Matthew Tilbury with his parents and siblings.

Phillip

phillip
23-11-2018, 9:17 AM
The 1851 Census record appears to include George Matthew Tilbury with his parents and siblings:
1851 (Crown Copyright TNA)HO107 1669 55 8
30 Mortham Street Southampton Hampshire
William Tilbury H M 48 Policeman b Hants Micheldover
Sarah wife 43 b Hants Weston
William J son 20 ? assistant b Kent Woolwich
Jane dau 16 Dress Maker b Hants North Waltham
GEORGE M son 13 Errand boy b Southampton

William and Sarah Tilbury appear in the 1861 Census but William is no longer a Policeman:

1861 Census (Copyright TNA) RG9 674 127 28
43 Mortham Street Southampton Hampshire
William Tilbury H M 58 Store keeper ( Oil Stocks) b Hants Mickleclever
Sarah wife 53 b Hants Woolston

More data to follow.

Phillip

phillip
23-11-2018, 11:56 AM
George Matthew Tilbury aka Preston's first wife was Ann Newell Fulton. She was baptised 10 January 1834 Parish Church Chipping Campden-parents George and Mary Fulton- George was a Seedman.
Ann appears as an unmarried servant age 17 in the 1851 Census born Gloucestershire Chipping Campden in the household of John Field a Master Baker ( full reference for record to follow)

By 1871 Ann is living alone with her 3 sons and recorded as a widow. However, George was still alive and possibly living with Anne aka Anna because Adelina aka Lottie was born in 1872.
1871 Census (Copyright,TNA) RG10 4044 101 12
120 Red Barr? Road Manchester Lancashire
Thomas Mullin H M 35 Miller b Hampshire
Esther wife 44 b Reading Berks
Edward Simmonds nephew u 20 Miller b Reading Berks
ANN NEWELL PRESTON Lodger widow 33 Engraver's wife b Gloucestershire Campden
Frank R Preston son 14 b Southampton
Percy Augustus son 11 b London Pimlico
Rodney George son 10 b London

Why George Tilbury changed his surname to Preston is unclear- Criminal and Bankruptcy records may provide an answer.

George Matthew Tilbury was recorded in the GRO Death Index as dying in 1883- George Matthew TILBURY Death Jan qtr 1883 b abt 1838 age 45 Liverpool 8b 140.

Why his surname at death reverted back to Tilbury is also not clear.

There is no current data to indicate what happened to Ann Newell Tilbury aka Preston nee Fulton and further research is required.

I will post further data on the lines.

Phillip

phillip
23-11-2018, 12:23 PM
George Tilbury aka Preston appears in the 1871 Census (Copyright TNA) RG10 2867 54 5
He is a Boarder in an Inn:
Roebuck Inn Shelton Hanley Staffordshire
The head of the property is John Cope H M 49 beer seller
GEORGE PRESTON Boarder 32 Married Engraver b Hants Southampton

By 1891 Adelina aka Lottie appears as a visitor in the household of William Priestly. She is incorrectly on Ancestry.Com recorded as Priestly but the census record is clear and shows her surname as PRESTON:
1891 Census (Copyright TNA) RG12 2263 4 1
229 Gloster House Birchfield Road Handsworth Staffordshire
William H Priestly H M 50 Music Seller b Birmingham
LOTTIE A D PRESTON visitor s 19 b Carlisle Cumberland

Phillip

phillip
23-11-2018, 6:05 PM
Death-
In her 40th year Anna PRESTON 83 Mount Pleasant wife of the late G P De Lara
Weds 21 February 1883 Liverpool Mercury Lancashire.

The 1861 Census previously posted on showed George Tilbury and Ann Fulton with children Frank William b 1858;Percy Augustus b 1860; Rodney George b 1861.
The 1861 Census for Joseph Laurence aka Lawrence and Ann De Lara shows children Sarah A b 1859; David D b 1861
The 1871 Census showed Ann aka Annie Laurence with her parents David/Sarah and children Sarah b 1859;David b 1862;Penelope b1867
The 1881 Census recorded with George Tilbury/Ann De Lara show Helen b 1861; Penelope Jane b 1867 and Lottie b 1872 (Penelope was born 1865 based on her baptism record).

In earlier threads Percy Augustus Lawrence aka Tilbury aka George Tilbury was shown to have had several prison sentences as a hawker without a licence and drunk/disorderly.

Rodney George Lawrence aka Tilbury was aka George De Lara actor and I will post data showing him living with Adelina De Lara.

Penelope Jane was to marry and I will post on her.

Phillip

phillip
24-11-2018, 9:26 AM
This posts contains further data on the marriage of Adelina aka Lottie to Thomas Johnson Shipwright 1870-1911:
Marriage Certificate
Parish Church St.Mark Regents Park
July 30 1896
Thomas Johnson SHIPWRIGHT 26 Bachelor Actor 5 Clouth..?wry Road father Thomas Shipwright Gentleman
Adelina de Lara PRESTON 24 Spinster no occupation recorded 9 St.George Square-father George PRESTON Deceased
Witnesses ? Birt; Geo..? Row?
The parents of Thomas Johnson Shipwright were Thomas Shipwright 1842-1916-Elizabeth Johnson 1848-1891

The 1871 Census (Copyright TNA) RG10 194 30 53
58..?Road Hampstead London
Thomas Shipwright H M 28 Master Perfume/ Employing 12 men and 2 boys b Soho
Elizabeth wife 23 b Finsbury
Thomas John son 1 b Middx Hampstead
+2 servants

I will post further on the parents of Thomas Johnson Shipwright.
Thomas Johnson Shipwright was to change his surname to KINGSTON.
His Probate Record shows:
Thomas Johnson Shipwright otherwise Thomas KINGSTON 5 Elsworthy Road Primrose Hill Middlesex died 2 August 1911 Probate to Sir Henry Francis Herbert Thompson Baronet Effects £2393 13s 6d

His Burial record- See Findagrave;
Thomas KINGSTON Birth 1870 death 1911
St Mary's Roman Catholic Cemetery Kensal Green London Borough of Brent
Grave 4092

I will post further on the children of Adelina and Thomas. For their son Denis here is part of his WW1 Service record.
The WW1 Pension Records show:
Denis Shipwright 4.12..1914-10.4.1916 Mother Adelina Shipwright Holmscroft Betchworth Surrey
Age 18 years 6 months Kent Cyclist 9Reserved Battalion)Dec 1914

The UK Incoming Passenger Lists January 1897 show:
Adelina KINGSTON 25 musician and Thomas KINGSTON Actor 26 Landed London on 'Manitoba' from New York

There are various London Electoral Register records for Adelina which include her half sibling Rodney George Tilbury who lived with for part of the time of the records:
1919 Barnet Hendon 19 The Park Lottie SHIPWRIGHT
1921 19 The Park Barnet Hendon Lottie Adelina Shipwright
1945 Surrey Electoral Registers
Adelinas Cottage Cinder Path Farnham Lottie A Shipwright; Rodney G Tilbury

1939 Register (Copyright TNA)RG101 1930A
5 Hook Heath Woking UD Surrey
Lottie A SHIPWRIGHT b 23 Jan 1872 widow Pianist, composer, Teacher of Piano
Rodney G TILBURY b 11 March 1861 Actor (Retired)

1951 Electoral Register
Adelina Cottage Woking
Eric S V BROWN;Jessie BROWN;Lottie A Shipwright;Rodney G Tilbury

Death:
Rodney G Tilbury age 91 b abt 1872 Dec qtr 1961 Surrey 5g 689

I will post further data.

Phillip

phillip
25-11-2018, 9:35 AM
The two sons of Adelina and Thomas Shipwrigt aka Kingston were:
Alan aka Thomas Alan Kingston Shipwright b 1897 who married Eileen M Watts July qtr 1951 Kensington 5c 2771. He had served in the RAF WW1 as a Flt Lieutenant and in the 1939 Register (Copyright TNA) RG101 2639 H was recorded as Alan T Shipwright b 10 May 1897 Squadron Leader RAF Retired single living in Worthing Sussex
There are RAF service records for him.

His brother Denis Ewart Bernard Kingston Shipwright b 20 May 1898 died 13 Sept 1984 Plym Lea Triggs Lane Worthing. He was married 3 times:
March qtr 1918 Chelsea 1a 953 to Kate HAIN
March qtr 1934 Kensington 1a 309 to Lilian M SCHMITZ/WALTER Nb The FREE BMD Record gives the same reference for Lilian as Schmitz and Walter so this maybe a married and maiden name on the record.
Dec qtr 1947 Surrey NW 5g 1374=Margaret Haynes.

The family records show Joy Lilian Marjory Walter 1901-1948; Kate Hain 1885-1954;Margaret Ethel Haynes 1907-1977.

I will not add further on the above lines because of living relatives.

I will post on Penelope Jane Laurence aka Lawrence the daughter of Joseph Lawrence and her marriage.

Phillip

phillip
25-11-2018, 10:01 AM
In 2007 my Australian distant cousin Patrick Coppel wrote about our Crawcour lines in the Australian Jewish Historical Society Journal Vol XV111 2007 Part 4- Crawcour Stories. This article was based at the time on our research into our lines which we had shared ( including other distant cousins). I have continued over the past 11 years to do further research and post data where relevant plus developing my own data base on the respective lines.
In his article Pat included a section entitled Adelina De Lara and the Polish Military.In this section we had explored whether or not Adelina De Lara's comments about our mutual lines 'of the name Cracour, that of an important Polish military family who lived in Kracow, in the part of Poland then under Austrian rule' ( in her book Finale) was based on any actual evidence.
We have not found any such proof but we were aware of the involvement of the Jewish Regiment under Colonel Berek Josielewicz during the wars against Russia in 1794.
Whether or not our lines ( Pat and I descend from Isaac father of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 as does Adelina; her line comes through Isaac Crawcour c 177-1837=

phillip
25-11-2018, 10:29 AM
My apologies- the site appeared to 'freeze' during my last post hence an incomplete previous post. I will continue with the data posted earlier.
Isaac Crawcour c 1777-1837 =Simha Cohen De Lara 1776-1851 and their 7 children of whom Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour c 1804-1879 =David Laurent De Lara c 1807 1876. Anne their daughter married Joseph Lawrence aka Laurence and then Anne had a relationship and children by George Tilbury aka Preston which included Adelina.
Hannah the 5th child of Sarah and David was the mistress and later wife of Henry Russell 1812-1900 and as previously posted on in this thread this Russell line connected through marriage to John aka Isaac Davies and his mother Ann Crawcour who had married David Davies aka Davis. My own paternal Hart line had also married into the Crawcour/Davies as posted on.

Pat and my own Crawcour line descends through David Crawcour c 1791-1882 brother of Isaac 177-1837.

Following the death of George Tilbury aka Preston and his wife Anne within a week of each other Adelina was living with her two half sisters Nellie and Penelope who were older than her. Nellie apppears to have threatened to kill her self following the death of George and Anne and disappeared. There is no record currently to indicate what happened to her and one theory is that she committed suicide by drowning. She was the eldest sister.
Penelope Jane born 1865 appears to have supported Adelina with patrons assistance touring with Adelina in her piano recitals.

Penelope was later to marry Arthur Theobald a widower and retired army officer.

The GRO Marriage Certificate for Penelope is particularly interesting because it sheds a small amount of light on what her father may have been employed as at the time of his death. Importantly, the 2 witnesses at her marriage were Henry and Hannah Russell showing that the Russell were involved with the family.
GRO Marriage Certificate
July 3 1897 St Marys Church Paddington
Arthur THEOBALD full age widower Lieutenant Colonel late of Her Majesty's Army Parish of St Mary father James Theobald deceased Gentleman
Penelope Jane LAURENCE spinster no occupation St Mary father Joseph LAURENCE deceased Private Secretary
Witnesses HENRY RUSSELL; HANNAH RUSSELL
I will post further

Phillip

phillip
25-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Following their marriage in 1897 both Arthur and Penelope were dead by 1902. Penelope died first.
1901 Census (Copyright TNA) RG13 260 35
2 Warwick Road Paddington London
Arthur Theobald H M 54 Retired Army Officer b Winchester Hants
Penelope Jane wife 35 Living on own means b London
+2 servants

Probate
Penelope Jane Theobald 2 Warwick Road Maida Hill Middlesex (wife of Arthur Theobald) died 28 October 1901 Admin to Arthur Theobald retired Colonel H M Army £1896 18s 6d

Probate
Arthur Theobald Retired Colonel in her Her Majesty's Army 2 Warwick Road Maida Hill Middlesex died 30 April 1902 Probate to Rev Frederick Theobald Clerk Effects £579 13s 4d Re sworn £679 13 4d

Arthur's parents are likely to be James Theobald 1794-1871 and Sarah Richards 1808-1873.

I have yet to identify who the first wife of Arthur Theobald was.

Phillip

phillip
27-11-2018, 9:48 AM
In this post I will provide data on Ellen Waldron b abt 1855 Liverpool the wife of Percival aka Percy Augustus Tilbury. They were married Sept qtr 1878 Sheffield 9c 482. The 1911 Census reveals that they had 7 children 3 of whom were dead.
I can't locate the family in 1881 census but here are the family without Percy in 1891 and 1911.
It appears that Percy was separated from the family and this may have been because he was an itinerant hawker but also in prison for some of the time.
1891 Census (Copyright TNA) RG12 3937 46 19
4 Hipponas Cottage Hull Yorkshire

Ellen Tilbury H M 36 Artificial flower Hawker b Lancs Liverpool
Francis son s 15 errand boy b Yorkshire Sheffield
Annie dau 6 b Hull
Mary dau 4 b Hull
Josephine dau 8months b Hull

1901 Census (Copyright TNA) RG13 4498 131 22
1 Henry's Place Kingston upon Hull
Ellen Tilbury H M 46 Living on own means b Lancs Liverpool
Frank son s 24 Organ builder Importer musical instruments worker b Scotland
Annie dau s 15 Dressmaking b Yorks Sheffield
Mary dau 12 b Yorks Hull
Josephine dau 10 b Yorks Hull

1911 Census (Copyright TNA) RG14 28758
6 Knowles Place Booth Street Hull

Ellen Tilbury H M 57 Married 37 years 7 children 3 dead 4 alive Hawker Paper flowers b Liverpool
Josephine dau 18 single Confectioner Needlers Tweed works b Hull

Ellen died in 1913 -Ellen Tilbury b abt 1854 age 59 Oct qtr 1913 Hull 9d 310

Percy maybe the individual recorded as dying in 1925- March qtr 1925 Beverley 9d 123 age 65

Phillip

phillip
27-11-2018, 11:27 AM
The following is from The Times Monday Nov 27 1961 regarding the death of Adelina De Lara:
"The death of Miss Adelina de Lara in a Woking Hospital on Saturday at the age of 89... She have her last public recital at the Wigmore Hall on June 15,1954 at the age of 82 but continued subsequently to lecture on the teaching of Clara Schuma, whose pupil she was for six years at Frankfurt..."

The following also from The Times relates to the engagement and marriage of Denis Ewart Bernard Kingston Shipwright to Kate Hain in 1918:
The Times 7 March 1918
"An engagement is announced between Denis Ewart Bernard Kingston Shipwright second lieutenant RFC, younger son of the late Thomas Johnson Shipwright and Mrs Shipwright ( Mme.Adelina De Lara) and Kate, daughter of the late Sir Edward Hain and Lady Hain of Treloyhan, St Ives Cornwall."

The marriage took place in 1918.

The Obituary in The Times Friday Sept 21,1917 for Sir Edward Hain:
"Sir Edward Hain who was well known in shipping circles as the head of an important steamship fleet died at his residence Treloyhan St Ives Cornwall yesterday at the age of 65.. His only son Captain E Hain of the Devon Yeomanry was killed at Gallipoli in 1915. He was the eldest son of the late Mr Edward Hain of St Ives, his family having been connected with the shipping and fisheries of that port for centuries. He was the principal of the firm Edward Hain and Son ( St Ives) and a member of the firms Foster, Hain and Read (London0 and Foster,Hain and Co (Cardiff).. he was Sheriff of Cornwall, member of county council..six times..Mayor of St Ives..20 years member of Town council..He received a knighthood in 1910. In 1882 he married Catherine daughter of the late Mr James Hughes of Whitehaven Cumberland.."

Phillip

phillip
27-11-2018, 12:18 PM
GRO Death Index Record for Adelina Tilbury aka Preston aka De Lara aka Shipwright aka Kingston:
Lottie A SHIPWRIGHT age 89 Dec qtr 1961 Surrey NW5g 689

I have yet to discover her burial place.

The London Gazette 7 June 1951
Officer of the Order of the British Empire Medal
Madame Adelina De Lara ( Mrs De Lara-Shipwright) Pianist

Phillip

phillip
05-10-2022, 1:07 PM
Following recent contact by a descendant of Adelina De Lara I am revisiting this link. In the last post I said that I could not locate the burial site for Adelina.

I am seeking help trying to locate her burial place.

Her husband Thomas Shipwright aka Kingston died in 1911 and is buried in St.Mary's Roman Catholic Church,Kensal Green, Brent Grave 40 92.

Adelina De Lara's GRO Death Index record has Lottie A SHIPWRIGHT Dec qtr 1961 Surrey NW5gt 689. She died in Woking Hospital. Was she buried under that name or under Adelina De Lara? I don't know the answer.

Any assistance locating her grave/burial place would be appreciated.

phillip
09-10-2022, 8:19 AM
I have ordered the GRO Death Certificate for Lottie A Shipwright aka Adelina De Lara and will post data on receipt.

In reply to the researcher who contacted me regarding the lines here is data on the Christabel Pearl Parkes the 1st wife of Denis Ewart Bernard Kingston Shipwright son of Adelina De Lara aka Lottie Shipwright and Thomas Shipwright aka Kingston.

1901 Census (Copyright TNA) RG13 593 23 4 15
8 The Alley Byfleet Surrey
Charles W Parkes H M 24 Bricklayer b Surrey Lambeth
Grace I wife 23 b London
Grace U 2 dau b Surrey Lambeth
CHRISTABEL dau 3 months b Surrey Byfleet

1911 (Copyright TNA)RG27 6 17
155 Linden Grove Nunhead SE
Charles William Parkes H 34 Married Compositor Printer b Lamberth London
Grace Isabella wife 34 Married 13 years 2 children both alive Laundress-laundry b Lambeth
Grace Maria dau 12 b Lambeth London
Christabel Pearl dau 10 b Byfleet,Surrey

In the WW1 British Army Records
Charles William Parkes shows him married 23 April 1898 age 39 married 107 Fernlea Road Balham Compositor. There is only 1 child recorded Christabel Pearl b 25.
12.1900 Chertsey

Records show that his parents were Charles a plasterer -paper hanger b Lambeth and Maria Jane Chitty a dressmaker b Ripley Surrey. 1891 Census.

Christabel died in 1929 and had a daughter Wendy Mary 1929-1970. Denis was to re-marry a further two times- Kate Hain 1885-1954; Margaret Ethel Haynes 1907-1977. Nb This information is based on Ancestry public family trees and I have not fully checked all data

phillip
12-10-2022, 12:55 PM
This is the GRO Death Certificate for Lottie Adeline Shipwright aka Adelian De Lara.
Registration District Surrey North Western.Sub district Woking Surrey
25 November 1961
Woking Victoria Hospital Woking
Lottie Adeline Shipwright 89 years Adelina's Cottage Wych Hill Woking widow of Thomas Johnson Shipwright an actor Cause of Death Pulmonary embolism; Deeep veneous thrombosis Informant
Denis E.B.K.Shipwright- son Plym Lee Tripps Lane Woking

To date I have found no record to indicate where she is buried.