PDA

View Full Version : Name changes

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 3:10 PM
I am puzzled by an entry on the 1900 U. S. Census. Can someone help me try to figure this out? The head of the household is Stephen Aldridge and his family is listed with wife and children, included is his sister Maria Cantellow, listed as single.

Question is why is her surname different than her brother? I believe that Maria was an illegitimate child.

This one has me stumped, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 3:39 PM
Do you know what Stephen's mothers maiden name was, please ?

What are the ages of Stephen and Maria ?

An obvious explanation could be that they share a mother who's maiden name was CANTELLOW, and that Maria was born before the mother married a Mr ALDRIDGE, after which Stephen was born.

But there's a lot of assumptions there, and I'm sure you know reasons why that story doesn't work!

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 5:24 PM
Hi Allen

According to the 1900 U. S. Census Stephen Aldridge was 69, born May 1831 and Maria Cantellow, his sister, was 67, born May 1833 in England. Stephen emigrated to the U.S. in 1857 and Maria in 1870. I have found Maria on a ship manifest for June 8th that year. I have found Maria with her mother and her grandmother in the 1841 U.K. census, exactly where I expected to find her in Tunbridge Wells. I did not find Stephen with that family. I have not found Stephen on a ship manifest for 1857 but I did find a Stephen Cantello in Dec. of 1855 on a ship manifest.

I cannot find a marriage for Rebecca Cantellow to an Aldridge and I have tried many variants on the two surnames. I do not believe that Rebecca married unless her death was registered in her maiden name.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious here. I have 3 separate photographs of Stephen Aldridge, a photo of Mary (Stephen's wife) as well as one of Maria taken at the same time in Milwaukee. I know they are connected from that as well as the 1900 census.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 5:34 PM
Who is Rebecca CANTELLOW, please ?

I may be being dense, but I don't thimk it says, and I'd rather not complicate things by guessing!....

Alan

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 5:36 PM
Sorry Allen,

Rebecca Cantellow is Maria's mother. Her grandmother is also Rebecca [nee Wenman].

I also found Maria Cantellow on the 1870 U. S. Census with Stephen Aldridge and his family listed as a domestic.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 6:32 PM
You may know a lot of this, but in case not....

Maria can be tracked through two more UK censuses after 1841.

1851 Servant at Speldhurst, Kent (Age 21)
1861 Servant in Paddington, London (Age 29)
1871 Not found, (as expected!)

Rebecca is also traceable

1851 Servant at Brighton, Sussex (Age 35, Unmarried)
1861 Housekeeper at Speldhurst, Kent (Age 49, Unmarried)
1871 Domestic Servant at Tonbridge Wells, Kent (Age 59, shown as Widowed - but presumably not?)
1881 Cook, Domestic Servant at Tonbridge Wells, Kent (Age 69, Unmarried)
1891 Not found - see below.

These are presumably the deaths of both Rebeccas

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
---------------------------------------------
Deaths Jun 1861
----------------------------------------
Cantellow Rebecca Tunbridge 2a 252

Deaths Jun 1890
-----------------------------------------
Cantellow Rebecca 78 Tunbridge 2a 367

So it looks like Maria's mother never married, to me.

I'm struggling at the moment to see how Maria can possibly be Stephen's sister, unless he changed his name somewhere - but I haven't thought too closely about that bit yet..

Alan

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 6:55 PM
Do you know Stephen ALDRIDGE's birthplace, please ?

There seems to be a candidate in the same area of Kent as the CANTELLOWs are from

Do you have this 1841 ?

Name: Harriett Aldridge
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Where born: Kent, England
Civil Parish: Tonbridge
Hundred: Tonbridge Lowey
County/Island: Kent
Registration district: Tonbridge
Sub-registration district: Tonbridge Wells
Household Members: Name Age
Harriett Aldridge 30
Mary Aldridge 13
Stephen Aldridge 11
John Aldridge 6

(All born in Kent)
Class: HO107; Piece 463; Book: 7

And this 1851

Name: Harriet Haldridge
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Relation: Head
Where born: Tunbridge, Kent, England
Civil Parish: Tonbridge
Town: Tunbridge Wells
Street address: North Street
Condition as to marriage: Marr
Registration district: Tunbridge
Sub-registration district: Tunbridge Wells
ED, institution, or vessel: 4e
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 90
Harriet Haldridge 40
Mary Ann Tester 22 Dau, Single, Servant (occupation struck through)
John Aldridge 16 Son, Single, Errand Boy to Appraiser
Thomas Aldridge 2 Son

All born Kent Tonbridge.
(It really does say Haldridge for the mother but Aldridge for the two younger children).

Class: HO107; Piece: 1614; Folio: 254; Page: 21

So Harriett would appear to have been married in 1841 as well, even though no husband appears in 1841 or 1851.

Presumably her maiden name was TESTER, and Mary Ann predates a marriage to Mr ALDRIDGE, (but she is called ALDRIDGE in 1841).

This from the IGI looks like Harriet's marriage, and if so the husband absent in thhe '41 & '51 censuses appears to be William Alfred ALDRIDGE.

WILLIAM ALFRED ALDRIDGE
Marriages:
Spouse: HARRIET TESTER
Marriage: 25 OCT 1829 Speldhurst, Kent, England
(This marriage is also in the BVRI, but no additional information is recorded)

Before I go on, is this Stephens family, please ?

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 7:33 PM
Allen that does appear to be Stephen's family. It is the information that I have. I have Stephen's birthplace as Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

You are on exactly the same page as I am so far. I have fleshed out the information as you have only it took me a whole lot longer to do.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 7:46 PM
So, on the face of it Stephen's parents are William Alfred ALDRIDGE and Harriett (nee TESTER), whereas Maria is the illegitimate daughter of Rebecca CANTELLOW.

The only way I can see that Stephen & Rebecca are even half-brother and sister, is if Maria happened to know that she had been fathered by William Alfred ALDRIDGE. (Does that work ?? :confused::confused:)

As they are all from the same area, I suppose it's possible, but even if true, it would be rather surprising if that was enough for them to end up as brother and sister in the US.

I can't find Stephen anywhere in the UK in 1851, and you think he should be. I also drew a blank on finding any Stephen CANTELLO(W)s.

I wonder why William Alfred ALDRIDGE isn't with his family in '41 or '51.

Confusingly there are other William and Harriet ALDRIDGE pairings in Kent, and I was starting to muddle the families up.

Time to recheck a few things, methinks!

A.

Jan1954
13-03-2008, 7:49 PM
Hello Lynda,

What was the maiden name of Stephen's wife, Mary?
When and where was she born?

I was wondering if Maria was Mary's sister, but if the answers to the above questions don't pan out, then that idea's blown out of the water... :o

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 8:28 PM
Two baptisms from the BVRI to go with the Aldridge stuff listed above....

ALDRIDGE, Stephen Christening
Christening Date: 10 Jul 1830 Recorded in: Speldhurst, Kent, England
Father: William ALDRIDGE
Mother: Harriet
Source: FHL Film 1469565 Dates: 1813 - 1862

ALDRIDGE, John Christening
Christening Date: 10 Jan 1836 Recorded in: Speldhurst, Kent, England
Father: William ALDRIDGE
Mother: Harriett
Source: FHL Film 1469565 Dates: 1813 - 1862

It seems that William & Harriet are indeed Stephen's parents, (or at least that's what they told the vicar!)

Alan

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 8:53 PM
Right, I've even found some grandparents for Stephen, on his mother's side.

He is with his mother's parents in the 1851 UK census, but enumerated as Stephen ELDRIDGE, (It's very badly written, but I'm sure it's an 'E').

Helpfully A******y have transcribed his TESTER grandparents as GOSTAV, (yes, a lot like TESTER!).

Name: Stephen Eldridge
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Relation: Grandson
Where born: Speldhurst, Kent, England

Civil Parish: Speldhurst
Street address: Smart ???? Brook
Condition as to marriage: Single
ED, institution, or vessel: 3d
Household schedule number: 134
John Tester 70, Head, Labourer Born Kent, Tonbridge
Fanny Tester 67, Wife, Born Kent, Tonbridge
Stephen Eldridge 20, Grandson

I can see no obvious link to Maria CANTELLOWs family, unless Stephen's father William Arthur ALDRIDGE is Maria's father as well as Stephen's.

Am I missing something here ?

I'm not sure I can take this further, or think of any other explanation, without new facts.

Alan

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 9:47 PM
There's even a possible marriage in the IGI for Stephen's maternal grandparents....

JN TESTER
Marriages:
Spouse: FANNY CROWHURST
Marriage: 26 AUG 1804 Tonbridge, Kent, England

And a baptism for his mother....

HARRIET TESTER
Christening: 27 JAN 1808 Tonbridge, Kent, England
Parents:
Father: JOHN TESTER Family
Mother: FANNY

(All extracted data - needs checking, but probably good).

There are IGI baptism records for around 5 other children of John and Fanny (or Frances) - no more in Tonbridge, but 1 in Spelhurst looks likely. (Others are at Benchley, maybe 8 or 9 miles away, so probably a different family).

But absolutely nothing there to connect with CANTELLO(W).

I'm building up some ancestry for Stephen, but not, I regret, answering the original question :o

Alan

Jan1954
13-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Alan,

I know you're like a little ferret when you're trying to solve such puzzles. :D What do you reckon to my suggestion in post #10?

By the way, Rebecca had another daughter (Sarah - b abt 1838) after she'd had Maria so I was wondering if she'd gone on to have another - Mary.

Rather than sister-in-law, Maria could then have been recorded as just sister.

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Alan,
What do you reckon to my suggestion in post #10?

I think we need Lynda to fill us in on Stephen's wife.

If she were US born, any such possibilities are out the window.

If she is born in Speldhurst, Kent, I'd want to look a lot more closely ;)

It could be a spelling thing, but I can't find a UK marriage of Stephen to Mary.

Alan

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 10:44 PM
You folks are absolutely amazing. You have rounded up, in very short order, information that has taken me months to ferret out. All part of the learning process and I sincerely appreciate the help of you all here at BG Forum.

I have not been able to find a marriage for Stephen Aldridge and Mary Unknown. I suspect that Mary's name was Wraight. I don't know if Stephen and Mary married in England or in the U. S., I have not found a reference for either. I must confess that I have not tried the 'Haldridge' spelling on the ship manifests.

I suspect that her name was Wraight because the pictures I have came down through the family from a Martha Wraight who married Robert Huggett and had a sister Mary.

I don't know if this information muddies the water or clears it.

Lynda

Jan1954
13-03-2008, 10:45 PM

It could be a spelling thing, but I can't find a UK marriage of Stephen to Mary.

Alan

Neither can I. I can't see a birth of a Mary Cantellow, either. So, you're probably right.

Back to the drawing board... Ho, hum..

I did see this, though:

Births Dec 1856 Cantello Worthy N. Aylesford 2a 265

What a lovely name!

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 10:47 PM

Alan

If Mary is the one I feel she is, then she was born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent not in the U.S. The 1900 U.S. Census for Milwaukee verifies that she was born in England.

Lynda

Jan1954
13-03-2008, 10:49 PM
If Mary is the one I feel she is, then she was born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent not in the U.S. The 1900 U.S. Census for Milwaukee verifies that she was born in England.

Lynda

Do you have her maiden name?
Did she and Stephen marry in England?

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 11:04 PM
There is a Wraight /Cantellow connection in a previous generation.

Mary Cantellow, born Feb. 17, 1813 Frant, Sussex, married William Wraight born, Jan. 26, 1814 in Cranbrook, Kent, in Sept. of 1839 in Tunbridge Wells. Both of them died in Tunbridge Wells.

Mary Cantellow Wraight was the daughter of Rebecca Wenman and William Cantellow. Mary had sisters Sarah born abt 1810 and Rebecca born 1812.

Mary and William Wraight were the parents of 5 children, the first child Mary Ann and the fourth was Martha who married Robert Huggett.

Does this help?

Lynda

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Do you have her maiden name?
Did she and Stephen marry in England?

I do not have a maiden name for Mary and no I can't find a marriage for them in either the U.S. or England.

Lynda

Jan1954
13-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I do not have a maiden name for Mary and no I can't find a marriage for them in either the U.S. or England.

Lynda

If the children were born in England, a birth certificate should provide the maiden name of Mary.

If they were born in America, I know nothing about birth certificates over there that would help. :(

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I did wonder about this one....

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
-----------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1857
-----------------------------------
ALDRIDGE Stephen Ticehurst 2b 136
Lambert Emily Ticehurst 2b 136
MANKLELOW Ann Ticehurst 2b 136
Stiles Stephen Ticehurst 2b 136

Right kind of place, right kind of date.

Could MANKLELOW be a mistranscription of CANTELLOW ?

Sadly, no! - Ann MANKLELLOW is real, according to the 1851 census.

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 11:18 PM
If the children were born in England, a birth certificate should provide the maiden name of Mary.

If they were born in America, I know nothing about birth certificates over there that would help. :(

Hi Jan, at the moment I am not concerned with the children of Stephen and Mary and have therefore not investigated that link.

I am really trying to find the link between Maria Cantellow, the single sister of/and Stephen Aldridge who are listed on the 1900 U. S. Census for Milwaukee.

Do you think the birth certificate of one of the children would help me here?

Lynda

Jan1954
13-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Do you have the children's names and when/where they were born?

If you find out Mary's maiden name, it may give a clue as to her relationship to Maria.

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Did you give a year of birth for wife Mary, please ?

(Sorry if I've lost it somewhere in the middle!)

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Did you give a year of birth for wife Mary, please ?

(Sorry if I've lost it somewhere in the middle!)

April 1844

Lynda

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Do you have the children's names and when/where they were born?

If you find out Mary's maiden name, it may give a clue as to her relationship to Maria.

At the time of the 1900 U. S. Census it states that Mary had 5 children who were all living. The children were born in the Wisconsin, U. S. A.

I am not sure how the U. S. birth registration system works either, perhaps I had better find out.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
13-03-2008, 11:38 PM
April 1844

Lynda

That's a shame, as the best candidate, who also had a sister Martha, seems to be about 4 years older than that.

There was a big age difference between Stephen (1830) and Mary (1844)

When did Mary enter the US.

If it was 1857 as well, then she would only have been about 13 :confused::confused:

Whilst girls could legally marry at that age in the UK, it seldom happened in practice.

If she is genuinely born 1844, and Stephen set sail just 13 years later, I can't see there will possibly be a UK marriage.

Have I lost it somewhere ?

Lynda Marie
13-03-2008, 11:56 PM
That's a shame, as the best candidate, who also had a sister Martha, seems to be about 4 years older than that.

There was a big age difference between Stephen (1830) and Mary (1844)

When did Mary enter the US.

If it was 1857 as well, then she would only have been about 13 :confused::confused:

Whilst girls could legally marry at that age in the UK, it seldom happened in practice.

If she is genuinely born 1844, and Stephen set sail just 13 years later, I can't see there will possibly be a UK marriage.

No Alan, I don't believe you have. Mary on the 1900 U. S. states that she arrived in the U. S. in 1857 as well. If Mary is Mary Wraight, the birth year I have for her is June 1840 which would have made her 17 at the time of departure in 1857.

The 1870 U. S. census lists Stephen as 35, Mary 25 and their oldest son Albert is 12 meaning he would have been born abt. 1858 which would fit with an 1857 ish marriage for Stephen and Mary. Maria Cantellow is listed on this census as 30 years of age. She arrived just in time for the census. The 1870 census does not contain the same amount of information as the 1900 census and therefore does not give as many clues.

Lynda

Jan1954
13-03-2008, 11:56 PM
That's a shame, as the best candidate, who also had a sister Martha, seems to be about 4 years older than that. Who's Martha?

Quite possibly...

I shall now go to sleep on this and see if the sub-conscious can come up with anything.

Alan Welsford
14-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Lynda,

I'm not very familiar with US censuses, but know they often contain a lot more information than ours do.

Clearly if someone has immigrated, the year they arrived in the US is recorded.

You said it's 1857 for Stephen and 1870 for Maria.

What date is it for Mary, please ?

Presumably it would not be obvious if this was as a spinster or a married woman ?

That 1844 birth date is correct, isn't it ?

Alan

Alan Welsford
14-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Who's Martha?

It came from here....

I suspect that her name was Wraight because the pictures I have came down through the family from a Martha Wraight who married Robert Huggett and had a sister Mary.

I'm not sure we are able to answer the original question. :o

I explained it to my other half, and she said....

What if Stephen's father was also the father of Maria, (and who had possibly paid to help support her, at least for a while). If Stephen knew he had a half sister, he might have subsequently taken on responsibility for her.....

Or something like that.

Unless there is a baptism record for Maria where the father is named, or some sort of bastardry papers that name him, it's impossible to prove or disprove such a hypothesis.

It's pretty obvious that Stephen & Maria don't share a mother, so having the same father is the only possibility, it seems to me.

Alan

Lynda Marie
14-03-2008, 12:34 AM
"Herself" may have just hit the nail on the head. Is there some way to track down bastardy papers? Another avenue to explore, if explorable.

Thank you all for your help. Perhaps the subconscious will work overnight and something may hit out of the blue tomorrow.

You are all wonderful and I thank you for taking so much time to help me. A new set of eyes can often help put one on another track to success.

Have a wonderful rest, you deserve it.

Lynda

Lynda Marie
14-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Lynda,

I'm not very familiar with US censuses, but know they often contain a lot more information than ours do.

Clearly if someone has immigrated, the year they arrived in the US is recorded. Indeed it is.

You said it's 1857 for Stephen and 1870 for Maria. That is correct.

What date is it for Mary, please ? 1857 the same year as for Stephen

Presumably it would not be obvious if this was as a spinster or a married woman ? It does not give that information.

That 1844 birth date is correct, isn't it? That is what is on the form. I was really hoping to make life simpler and find that it was wrong. It definitely says 1844.

Lynda

Jan1954
14-03-2008, 7:54 AM
What if Stephen's father was also the father of Maria, (and who had possibly paid to help support her, at least for a while). If Stephen knew he had a half sister, he might have subsequently taken on responsibility for her.....

Alan,

Please tell Herself that she's a diamond!

There may be bastardy papers held in Maidstone RO or the Kent Family History Society may be able to help, but I'm not going down there anytime soon.

Jan1954
14-03-2008, 8:39 AM
Tunbridge Wells also has a Family History Society and a stand at the Parish Chest here:
http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D1757&breadcrumb=Family+History+Societies%2C+etc.:Tunbri dge+Wells+F.H.S.

As you have a fair bit of family who come from there (Huggets, Wraights etc as well as these) it may be worth investigating how they might be able to help.

Lynda Marie
14-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Tunbridge Wells also has a Family History Society and a stand at the Parish Chest here:
http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D1757&breadcrumb=Family+History+Societies%2C+etc.:Tunbri dge+Wells+F.H.S.

As you have a fair bit of family who come from there (Huggets, Wraights etc as well as these) it may be worth investigating how they might be able to help.

Thank you Jan, I will have to investigate that. Wish I could spend a lot of time there to search out all the little bits. Someday!

I certainly appreciate all of your advise and assistance.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
14-03-2008, 11:24 AM
If Mary was genuinely born in 1844, and came to the US in 1857, I'm sure there isn't going to be a UK marriage for her.

Is the only record you have of her age in a single census, or are there any other things you can cross reference to ?

A death registration, perhaps ? Do they give an age in the US ? (They would here).

Do we know when the first child was born, and how old Mary would have calculated as being then, please ? (i.e. Does the 1844 version of her birth seem credible in relation to when she first produced a child).

Other than that, I'm out of ideas about Mary.

Alan

Lynda Marie
14-03-2008, 9:11 PM
Alan

So far, I have been unable to find a marriage for Mary and Stephen in the U.S. I have not been able to find a death for them either.

The 1870 U. S. census puts Mary at age 25, the 1895 puts her age at 65 and the 1900 puts her age at 56 - no I did not reverse the ages.

Mary's first child was Albert and his dates of birth range from 1858 to 1863.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
14-03-2008, 9:52 PM
Well I didn't realise there were censuses over there as close as 5 years apart, (but I've not researched anything in the US).

I think one can only ignore the 1895 as an aberration - it's 15 years adrift of everything else.

So if we go with the 1870 & 1900, we stay on track at Mary's birth in maybe 1844 or 1845.

I'm still a bit uncomfortable here, if first child was born somewhere between 1858 & 1863, the 1858 end of that range would make her a mum at around 13 or 14. I've no idea what age someone could legally marry in the US back then - perhaps someone can educate me. I'd have thought the child born towards the other end of the range was more likely, making her more like 18 or 19.

I was hoping we could build up enough information to try and locate Mary in the UK - I'm not really sure we can, particularly as her maiden name is by no means certain.

I certainly don't feel we are any more likely to establish that Maria was related to Mary, than we are to prove her relationship to Stephen. :D

I don't have enough experience in cases of illegitimacy to know exactly what sources might survive that could name Maria's father. I can't help feeling that's where the connection to Stephen must lie. (Unless they were in no sense at all "brother" and "sister" but just used those terms :confused:)

Alan

Sheridanfine
15-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi Lynda

I am not sure if you have this...Maria Cantelow arriving New York 23rd November 1892 on the ship Teutonic.

There isn't a great deal of information on these early records but luckily this shows her last residence as opposed to the normal "England"

Maria Cantelow, age 62, F(emale). Housekeeper, English, last residence Tunbridge Wells, destination Oconomoure, Wis (spelling! Oconomowoc ?)

She appears to be travelling with a family...

Rebecca Holmwood, age 48, Wife, English, last residence Tunbridge Wells, destination Oconomoure
Charlotte Holmwood, age 17, Dressmaker
Walter Holmwood, age 14, Student

I have found this family in 1881, 1891 and 1901 living in Tunbridge Wells, husband/father is Henry Holmwood. By 1901 Rebecca is shown as widowed plus she has a Grandson, George H Searles age 6 born America, US

Henry Holmwood and Rebecca Wraight married in 1873

Year of Registration, 1873
Quarter of Registration, Jan-Feb-Mar
District, Tonbridge
County, Kent, Sussex
Volume, 2a
Page, 688

Regarding Maria there is an entry in the Wisconsin Deaths, 1820 - 1907 database

Name, Maria Cantellon
Death Date, 7 Feb 1901
County, Milwaukee
Volume, 26
Page number, 0203
Reel, 088
Image, 0261
Index Volume, 09
ImageNum: 100746
Sequence number, 054179

There is no birth date but I have searched for other "Maria Cant*l*" and haven't found anything that matches, so it could be worthwhile getting the certificate as American death certificates in my experience show mother and father's names...so you could get lucky!

You could order the film from your family history centre, again in my own experience the films arrive from Utah in approx 3 to 4 weeks

v. 26 - v. 27, 1900-1902 FHL US/CAN Film

Or there are wonderful volunteers on the site...

Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness

http://www.raogk.org/listing.htm

I have checked and there is a volunteer who will look for pre-1910 vital records in Milwaukee.

I hope this is some help to you and if you need any of the details or anything else looked up, I would be happy to do so.

Very best wishes

Yvonne

Alan Welsford
15-03-2008, 1:00 PM
Well done Yvonne, I think you are definitely on to something, here!

Here are the HOLMWOODs in 1891

(Somewhat wierd that this is Speldhurst / Tunbridge Wells, which is the locations of families in a different thread, currently running :confused:)

Name: Rebecca Holmwood
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Henry
Where born: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England

Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
Street address: 3 Hungershall
Condition as to marriage:
ED, institution, or vessel: 7

Henry Holmwood 38, Gardener, Domestic Serv, Born Sussex Ashurst
Rebecca Holmwood 47
William H Holmwood 16
Charlotte Holmwood 15
Walter Holmwood 13 Born Kent Southborough

(All others born Kent, Tunbridge Wells)

Class: RG12; Piece: 676; Folio 116; Page 3

And, as you have said, who is Rebecca HOLMWOOD ?

I agree it looks highly likely she is Rebacca WRAIGHT

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
-------------------------------------
Marriages Mar 1873
-------------------------------------
Holmwood Henry Tunbridge 2a 688
Wraight Rebecca Tunbridge 2a 688

EDIT:

Oops - missed the fact you have already posted the marriage details - must read more closely!

Alan Welsford
15-03-2008, 1:43 PM
If it all hangs together this far, this seems to be both Mary WRAIGHT and Rebecca WRAIGHT with their parents in 1851

1851 England Census

Name: William Wraight
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1814
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Where born: Cranbrook, Kent, England
Street address: Cottage N 2 Rusthall ????
Condition as to marriage: Married
ED, institution, or vessel: 3b
Household schedule number: 128
William Wraight 37, Head, Marr, Agr Labourrer, b Kent, Cranbrook
Mary Wraight 38, Wife, Marr, b Kent, Tunbr Wells
Mary Wraight 11
Ann Wraight 10
Rebecca Wraight 8
Martha Wraight 6
William Wraight 5

All children born Kent, Speldhurst & Scholars

Class: HO107; Piece: 1614; Folio: 63; Page: 37

However if this Mary is wife to Stephen ALDRIDGE, and who sailed to the US in 1857, then her indicated birth date here is around 1840, not the 1844 that seems to be the case later on.

Of course it becomes a bit more plausible if it is her, as she would have been maybe 17 when she went there with Stephen rather than 13.

As you have the WRAIGHT connection, and as the Rebecca WRAIGHT here seems likely to be the Rebecca HOLMWOOD that Maria CANTELLOW seems to have accompanied to the US in 1892, I'd have thought it quite likely we have found your Mary. (Despite age differences).

Then there's that one further snippet, already mentioned by Yvonne,

It 1901, Rebecca HOLMWOOD is back home, now widowed, and still in Tunbridge Wells.

Her household is...

1901 Census

Rebecca HOLMWOOD, Head, Wid, 56, Caretaker for House Agents, b Kent, Tun Wells
Walter HOLMWOOD, Son, Single, 28, Machinist (Cycle) b Kent, Ton Wells
George H SEARLES, Grand Son, Single, 6 b America, US (FS)

(FS = Foreign Subject)

So there seems little doubt this Rebecca is the one who travelled to the US.

Lynda,

Do you recognise the surname SEARLES in anything you have encountered please.

AND FINALLY, Back to the original question.

I find nothing here that could possibly mean that Maria CANTELLOW's quoted sister relationship relates in any way to Stephen's wife Mary (assumed nee WRAIGHT).

I can only assume that if there is a blood relationship between Stephen and Maria, it must be, as already suggested, that Stephen's father also fathered Maria.

But as to proving it, we need someone with experience of trying to ferret out such information.

Phew (again!)

Alan

Lynda Marie
15-03-2008, 9:35 PM
Yes, I recognize the name Searles. Rebecca and Henry Holmwood's daughter Charlotte married someone named Searles. I have a letter that mentions Rebecca's angst at her grandson going back to the U. S. I also have a three generation picture of Rebecca, Charlotte and George.

Maria Cantellow and Rebecca Wraight Holmwood are first cousins. I did not know that Rebecca went to the U.S. I also did not know that Maria went home and came back as she obviously has done. It seems to appear more and more likely that Mary Wraight is the wife of Stephen Aldridge despite the date discrepencies. Maria Cantellow is Mary Wraight's first cousin.

"Herself's" suggestion seems to be 'on the money'.

You folks on this forum are absolutely amazing. I can't believe the amount of information that you have found so quickly. Your willingness to help surpasses all.

Thank you so much for all your efforts.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
15-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Well thanks to Yvonne for pulling out that vital extra information which I certainly didn't have online access to.

The jigsaw all seems to fit with what you already know, leaving as I see it about 3 as yet unanswered questions.

1) Why would Mary later on shave several years off her age, if she was already (approximately) 10 years younger than husband Stephen ? (See Footnote)
2) Where did they marry ? (It doesn't seem to have been in England).
3) Was Maria really biologically related to Stephen, (which seems like it can only be by sharing a father), or did they, as a relative of Mary, just hang the title 'sister' on her as a convenient description.

I suppose it's not impossible that if you could trace a baptism for Maria that the father might be named, but I suspect it's unlikely.
Failing that some kind of parish bastardry records seems your next avenue.

At this point I'm sure Geoffers would also mention wills. Did Stephen's father leave a will that also mentioned Maria. Did Stephen have a will where she gets a mention, and which might enlarge on their actual relationship ?

Alan

Edit The Only Mary WRAIGHT birth registration I can see in Tonbridge is for Apr-Jun Qtr 1840. So if Mary is Mary WRAIGHT, I thing she was 4 years older than the age she chode to use in the US.

Incidentally she shows as 1 year old in 1841, and has a sister Ann recorded as just 3 days - not often you could more or less deduce a date of birth from a census.

Alan Welsford
15-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I guess you have them, but IGI has these baptisms to William WRAIGHT & Mary

Mary Wraight: 03 MAY 1840 Speldhurst, Kent, England
Anne Wraight: 04 JUL 1841 Speldhurst, Kent, England
Rebecca Wraight: 09 APR 1843 Speldhurst, Kent, England
Martha Wraight: 04 MAY 1845 Speldhurst, Kent, England
Sarah Wraight: 13 JUL 1849 Speldhurst, Kent, England

No dates of birth in IGI transcription.

A.

Lynda Marie
16-03-2008, 1:02 AM
Thanks Alan, I did not have Sarah in this mix but I do have a William registered in Sept. of 1846.

Also, on the 1895 Wisconsin State census Stephen Aldridge is listed (there are 5 members of his family) and the very next entry is William Wraight (only l member of that family). The 1895 Wisconsin State census only lists the name of the head of the household and a number for the members of the family - no names, no birthdates, nothing else. I tended to ignore this census because of that BUT William Wraight being in Milwaukee with Stephen and his family is significant because of Mary.

My gut feel has been that Mary born 1840 was the wife of Stephen but I could never prove it. The 1900 U. S. Census really threw me off. I tend to agree that several sets of new eyes looking at and dredging up evidence has cast that date into doubt.

I don't know how to thank you all for your help.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
16-03-2008, 1:13 AM
I think, given all you have said, that Mary, Stephens wife, is Mary WRAIGHT born about 1840. But I'm at a loss to explain why she lost those years on going to the USA, (it only increased the age difference between the couple).

Obviously you need to redouble your efforts to find a marriage, (if there was one!). I think it would have to be in the States - there's no trace of it in the UK, and even with her adjusted age she was only about 17 when she sailed. (Did her parents know she was going, I wonder!!).

If you find anything else out, please keep us posted.

Alan

Lynda Marie
16-03-2008, 1:23 AM
Yvonne, thank you so much for all of the information that you have supplied. I was not looking for Maria to go home to England and come back again. She slid between the radar on the census information. I am going to take a look at the website you recommend and see if I can find someone who would be willing to do a look up for me. I am sure that you are correct and we will find out more information.

Thank you so much for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Lynda

Lynda Marie
16-03-2008, 1:29 AM
Indeed, I shall. I need to find out the age requirements for marriage in the U. S. at that time. I also need to find out how to trace a marriage in Wisconsin. Lots of looking up to do. At least my brick wall has cracks in it and it is starting to fall down. For that I am very grateful.

Thank you again, Alan, I will keep you posted.

Lynda

Sheridanfine
16-03-2008, 6:57 PM
Hi Lynda and Alan

I do not have any further information for Maria...but at least from the search today I hopefully have been able to disprove the connection to Stephen's wife Mary.....please stick with me as this is a search that has gone on all day <LOL>

Ship "Patrick Henry" arriving New York 3rd June 1857. Port of departure London, England

Stephen Addridge, age 25, male, labourer, England, United States, Second cabin
Emelia Addridge, age 23, Female, Wife, England, United States, Second cabin

Plus this....the image is so difficult to read. I have lightened it and feel that the transcription is good.

1860 census, Milwaukee Ward 7, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Steaphen Aldred, age 30, Mason, $40 personal estate value, born England
Emily, age 28, born England
Albert, age 2, born Wisconsin
Almina, age 7 months, born Wisconsin

If you would like the image, I will send it by email

I have also found the Aldridge family in 1880

1880 census, Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

S. Aldrich 48
M. Aldrich 30
A. Aldrich 22
Julia Aldrich 19
Walter Aldrich 16
Wm. Aldrich 12
Hannah Aldrich 11
Cath. Aldrich 9
Edvers Aldrich 5
Tamas Aldrich 4

Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Roll: T9_1437; Family History Film: 1255437; Page: 438.3000; Enumeration District: 123;

You will see that there are eight children (so going by the 1900 census, I would say that the last five are Mary's.

You will remember Andrew, the marriage that you found in 1857...well I revisited (but only in a general search <Grin>)

Marriages Jun 1857

Aldridge Stephen Ticehurst 2b 136
Lambert Emily Ticehurst 2b 136
Manktelow Ann Ticehurst 2b 136
Stiles Stephen Ticehurst 2b 136

I looked at the 1851 census for a "Emily Lambert" and found a Emily age 17, born Wadhurst, Sussex who is listed as a servant in Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge, Kent.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1614; Folio: 120; Page: 12

I won't bore you with the detail because it took me ages but although I couldn't prove this at all, I did find a Stephen Lambert Aldridge born 1890 in Wisconsin whilst looking up the elder children...and he was the son of Stephen's eldest child Albert.

So on to Mary who is listed as arriving in the US in 1857 (in my experience immigration dates vary widely from census to census)

Firstly, I looked at the 1860 for a "Mary" born England, 1844 +/- 2yrs, living in Wisconsin

I found a few and one of them, Mary Chandler was in Milwaukee Ward 7, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (same area as Stephen and Emily)

...I did a search in the immigration lists for a Mary Chandler of the correct age arriving 1857 +/- 5years and found her indeed arriving in 1857. (I did check all the other Mary's that I found and was able to eliminate them from the search)

1851 census, St Marylebone, Middlesex

Henry Chandler, age 34
Mary Ann, age 30
Mary Ann, age 7, born Shoreditch, Midlands
Maria, age 3
Hepworth, age 9 months

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1486; Folio: 726; Page: 70

Arriving New York on the ship Margt Evans 22nd August 1857. Departed Liverpool, England

Mary A Chandler, age 36, England, US, Lower deck
Mary, age 14
Maria, age 10
Hepworth, age 7
Harriet, age 4

1860 census, Milwaukee Ward 7, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Maryann Chandler, age 40
Mary, age 17
Maria E, age 13
Hepworth S, age 10
Harriet M, age 7

All born England.

Although I have found lots of info on the Aldridges, I know that this is not your research and unfortunately I have not found anything else at all for Maria Cantellow but hopefully what has been found today means that you at least know that Mary wasn't a relative.

If you need any of these images or source details not written here, please let me know.

I truly hope that you are able to resolve this mystery and I would just love to hear that you have.

Anything else that you need and I can help will be a pleasure

Very best wishes

Yvonne

PS: Here is the death index entry for Stephen Aldridge (who could turn out to be a relative <G>)

Stephen Aldridge
Death Date, 16th November 1905
County, Milwaukee
Volume, 33
Page number, 0149
Reel, 096
Image, 1116
Index Volume, 10
Image Number, 100039
Sequence number, 002837

Alan Welsford
16-03-2008, 8:43 PM
Yvonne,

I'm staggered.

What brilliant detective work - it goes way beyond where we had got to thus far.

It all makes heaps more sense now, and the bits that felt uncomfortable have largely been removed.

So he did marry before he went - just not to anybody we were expecting!

And Mary WRAIGHT never shaved around 4 years off her age when she married Stephen - because, well, she never married Stephen.

And nobody got married at a very young age, after all.

So if I follow correctly, Stephen had two wives but neither of them had any known relationship whatsoever to any WRAIGHT or CANTELLOW.

It does seem a bit odd that he shipped a second wife from the UK - I would rather have expected that if he lost his UK born wife, he might have replaced her with an American one.

So, (and I may be losing it here), when Maria returned to the UK, and went back out with the HOLMWOODs, the only known family connection was her to them - they had no connection to Stephen or his wife.

I think I've got it.

Nothing's ever quite as it seems is it!

I hoped it might now be possible to also track Mary WRAIGHT after she didn't go to the States.

It's inconclusive - there is someone right in all other respects enumerated as Mary WRIGHT, (well I can't see an 'A' in it), 1861 as a servant still in Speldhurst. I can't find Mary WRIGHT prior to that date, so I assume it's her.

I can't conclusively track her after 1861, either as marrying or dying. There are quite a few Mary WRAIGHT marriages in Kent, but none in the Tonbridge district. I'm not really sure why I'm looking, other than to prove she was still in the UK all along.

So once again, congratulations Yvonne.

Pour yourself a large drink - I feel you have earned it.

I wonder when Lynda might see this - I think she thought it was kind of completed, (as I did, until you did all this great work!)

Alan

Lynda Marie
16-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Hello Alan and Yvonne.

I am having a hard time getting my head around all of this.

Stephen Aldridge worked for the Milwaukee Gas Light Company, therefore the 1900 U. S. Milwaukee census information fits. I have a picture of him in front of the building with the notation that he is Lucy Huggett's uncle. I have pictures identified as Annie and Edwin Aldridge [one picture of each child] the photographers name and Milwaukee on the frame. I also have a photo of 3 Aldridge children together identified only as "Aldridge children". There is another photo that has a notation 'either my aunt Maria or Mary Wraight, Milwaukee'. These pictures came from Lucy Huggett whose mother was Martha Wraight who married Robert Huggett. Martha Wraight is Mary Wraight's sister.

The theory I had that Mary Aldridge, wife of Stephen, was Mary Wraight born April 1840 was cast in doubt, because of the Apr. 1844 date on that 1900 U. S. Census for Milwaukee. I searched for a marriage for Mary Wraight and Stephen Aldridge and did not find one. I have found the following for a Mary Wright [which is often used instead of Wraight] but nothing for Stephen Aldridge [the spelling of that name gets severely distorted and I assume I have just not hit on the right combination of errors].

Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
about Mary Wright
Name: Mary Wright
Marriage Date: 19 Apr 1857
County: Grant
Volume: 02
Page: 0215

Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
about Mary Wright
Name: Mary Wright
Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1857
County: Lafayette
Volume: 01
Page: 0219

I have been unable to find an Aldridge or Wraight combination in the 1857 ship manifests. I did see the one with Emilia but I was reluctant to accept it because of the ages. Is it possible that Stephen and Mary got married on board ship or where ever they landed, is it possible that they used a different name? I have been searching New York, Boston, Baltimore and Philadelphia with no luck so far.

Finding Maria Cantellow on the 1900 U.S. census for Milwaukee at the home of Stephen and Mary Aldridge, blew me out of the water because Maria's mother Rebecca was Mary and Martha Wraight's first cousin. The notation that she was Stephen's sister was the puzzler in that mix. If Mary was Mary Wraight as I supposed then Maria was her first cousin. As an aside I have a picture on glass of the grandmother of all of these ladies whose name was Rebecca Wenman who married William Cantellow on Dec. 10, 1808 at St. George Hanover Square.

Am I boxing myself into a corner??

Lynda

Lynda Marie
16-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Alan,

I just thought of something else that linked Mary Wraight to Stephen Aldridge and that was finding William Wraight, Mary's brother on the 1895 Wisconsin State census for Milwaukee. That particular census does not give much information except it lists the head of the household and a number for the rest. In this case Stephen Aldridge and the number 5 and William Wraight with the number 1, directly below Stephen.

I took the advice to go to the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness website and was able to contact a lady in Milwaukee who is willing to look for the death registration of Maria Cantellow, as well as Mary and Stephen Aldridge. She is going to go next Saturday and will get back to me with her findings. I am hopeful that one or all of these documents will shed some light on this situation.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
17-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Lynda,

It's late here, and I may be losing the plot |5cups|

It would probably better to wait until morning, but I can't put this one down!

You obviously still feel quite strongly that Stephen married Mary WRAIGHT, and I agree with all you have said about links between the families.

However I was always uncomfortable about that age difference, but was prepared to brush it to one side until anything else came to our notice.

I have to say I now find Yvonne's version absolutely compelling.

There is good evidence that Stephen could have married Emily LAMBERT before departing the UK, and she seems to have been found on board ship with him.

I've not followed through the trail of the other 'new' spouse Mary CHANDLER, but the fact she can be found travelling with her family to the US seems to support it.

I don't know to what degree Yvonne proved that Emily and Mary (CHANDLER) could not be found in the UK after their arrival in the US, but it's obviously worth checking.

As Mary WRAIGHT is still very central in your thoughts, it's also worth proving (if we can!) that she is still in the UK after 1857, at least for a while. I believe she is, because I don't think there is any other candidate to be the Maria WRIGHT born Speldhurst who appears as a servant in Speldhurst in 1861. It would be worth trying to find out what happened to her after that though. Perhaps, like her sister, she did end up in the US, but not married to Stephen ?

I've not fully followed the photo thing, I must admit, but...

You have a picture labelled 'either my aunt Maria or Mary Wraight, Milwaukee'.
This seems bizarre - by any measure Mary is as much, (or more!) her aunt than Maria, so why not also "my aunt Mary". If Mary was married to Stephen, why would a niece refer to that aunt by her maiden name - it sounds wrong, (generally only family history researchers seem to put maiden names on photos of married women :D)

On the topic of anything with "aunt" or "uncle" (unless customs differ between countries) any number of people can get the label "aunt" or "uncle", who are not really. (I only ever had one real one of each, but many surrogate ones with those titles, but who had no biological connection to me at all).

I'm tempted, (until new evidence changes my mind again), to go completely with Yvonne's version, but also accept that Mary may have been in the US, either short or long term, but not married to Stephen.

I think there is still some work to be done to demonstrate anyone who we think went to the US can't then be found in the UK, (or we think didn't, still can! :confused:)

Probably the best thing is if you can explain exactly which bits of Yvonne's version you are uncomfortable with, and why.

Alan

Sheridanfine
17-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Hi Lynda and Alan

Firstly Alan...please don't....I have seen the work that you have done and mine pales in comparison!

Lynda, re the two Mary Wright's marriages that you found

Name: James T Ferrill
Marriage Date: 19 Apr 1857
County: Grant
Volume: 02
Page: 0215

Name: Luther W Devoe
Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1857
County: Lafayette
Volume: 01
Page: 0219

But I definitely see your point about Mary Wraith and the connections....

An awful lot of our searching is based on our "feelings" and nothing is conclusive until we have the proof in front of us and therefore I will do my very best in trying to help find the connection (but tomorrow if that's ok as I'm really tired right now <G>)

If you don't mind me being really cheeky!!! my feeling in this is that William Aldridge was the father of your Maria Cantellow just as Alan's better half (sorry! other half <LOL>) put forward early on.

When I very first read your thread I had this feeling but obviously until there is proof .....

I am really thrilled that you have someone who will look up the vital records, I have had such wonderful help from the volunteers in the US. I will be keeping my fingers really tightly crossed that Maria's death certificate gives you the information to resolve this mystery.

My very best wishes

Yvonne

Lynda Marie
17-03-2008, 1:10 AM
Alan and Yvonne,

You two continue to amaze me. It is getting on time wise here in Canada and having to work for a living cramps my style. I would spend more time on this research if life would let me.

Get some well earned rest.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
17-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Yvonne,

I don't have access to anything other than UK records.

Is it possible to look for Mary WRAIGHT passages into the US, without too much trouble ?

I have a hunch that she probably was there, either short or long term, but am happy that she didn't marry Stephen ALDRIDGE.

Or is it just too easily confused with Mary WRIGHT, of whom, I guess there are hundreds.

Alan

Sheridanfine
17-03-2008, 9:22 PM
Hi Alan

I am not online as often as I would like these days as my husband is very ill plus I work full time in the academic library of our local university college but Lynda's research into this family has got me completely hooked.

Knowing the US census' from years of my own New York/Irish family, Lynda's belief and feeling that Mary Wraight was Stephen's wife is a very reasonable assumption as ages, immigration years and even names are soooo widely out most of the time that we definitely have to think outside the box to flush out our families<LOL>

Well, I have tried at every available opporunity today to find Mary Wraith even with looking for wildly out search info techniques and didn't come up with anything at all.

I'm not brilliant with the british databases and have looked back at the thread to see if a search had been done in England. I did see that you had found Mary in 1861 and absolutely agree with your findings especially as Rebbecca Cantellow was in the household (I hope I've got that correct as my eyes are failing me somewhat with looking at this computer screen <G>)

Please give me your take on this and put me out of my misery.........

Marriages Dec 1867

ASHDOWN William Milton 2a 1313
BLAKE Ellen Milton 2a 1313
Garrad William Milton 2a 1313
Wraight Mary Ann Milton 2a 1313

Name: Mary Ashdown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Williams
Where born: Speldhurst, Kent, England

Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
Town: Speldhurst

ED, institution, or vessel: 7

Aaron Ashdown 6
Eliza Ashdown 2
Fanny Ashdown 2
Frederick Ashdown 5 months
Mary Ashdown 31
Williams Ashdown 28
Williams Ashdown 8

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 927; Folio: 122; Page: 20

Name: Mary Ann Ashdown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
Relation: Head (Wife) (Head)
Where born: Tonbridge, Kent, England

Street address: 27 Second St Hurst ...

ED, institution, or vessel: 5

Agnes P. Ashdown 6
Ernest W. Ashdown 12
Frederick A. Ashdown 10
George H. Ashdown 8
Julia L. Ashdown 4
Mary Ann Ashdown 47
William Ashdown 19

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 912; Folio: 87; Page: 28

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
Relation: Mother
Where born: Towmage, Kent, England

Civil Parish: Tunbridge Wells
Ecclesiastical parish: St Barnabas

Registration district: Tonbridge
ED, institution, or vessel: 25

Florence V Ashdown 7
Frederick Ashdown 30
Mary Ann Ashdown 63
William Ashdown 39
Annie Eames 21
Arthur Stanford 25
Lulia L Stanford 23

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 755; Folio: 21; Page: 34.

Death index entry

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839
Year of Registration: 1904
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 65
District: Tonbridge
County: Kent, Sussex
Volume: 2a
Page: 481

I haven't done any follow up searches for other members of this family but this really soes seem to sort out this particular mystery

Very best wishes

Yvonne

Lynda Marie
17-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Good evening Yvonne and Alan

I am fascinated that you are turning up things that I have taken a look at and left on the side because the names Lambert, Chandler, Devoe, Ferrill and Ashdown are not names that have factored in my family research at any time. Not that I want to discard them, I just set them aside.

This family was a very straight laced Victorian type with the stiff upper and all. I have had the pleasure of knowing Lucy Huggett born 1888, died 1976. Lucy was the daughter of Martha Wraight [1845 - 1921]and Robert Huggett [1814-1896]. Lucy is the primary source of all my documents and photographs. Lucy is the one who wrote on the pictures. Lucy was also very particular about keeping family relationships in order. Lucy returned to Tunbridge Wells for a visit at the age of 75. She left Tunbridge Wells at the age of 10.

Martha Wraight was Mary Wraight's [April 1840-Dec. 1888] sister. They had a brother William [b.1846] who was in Milwaukee in 1895. Martha and Mary's sister Rebecca [June 1843-Dec. 1913] married Henry Holmwood in 1873. This Rebecca Wraight Holmwood made a trip to the U.S. with her daugher Charlotte and son Walter in 1892. Charlotte married a man named Searles in the U. S. in 1893. They had a child George in April 1895 in South Carolina.

Now, I have a letter that talks about Rebecca Holmwood's grandson being in England and going home to the U. S. I have verified that in census documents. I have a photo of Rebecca, Charlotte and George taken in England. I have a photo of Rebecca and Henry Holmwood. This link to the Wraight family is firm to my mind.

The collection of photo's also contains a picture on glass of Rebecca Cantellow who was Rebecca Wenman [born about 1784 died 1861] who married William Cantellow on Dec. 10, 1808 St. George Hanover Square. Rebecca and William Cantellow were the parents of Sarah, Rebecca and Mary, that I know of so far.

Sarah Cantellow married Shuttleworth Edward Finch and had 7 children. Rebecca Cantellow did not marry that I know of BUT she had Maria in May 1833 and Sarah in 1839. This has been verified on census and other documents. Maria Cantellow [May 1833] mentioned in the 1870 and 1900 U. S Census for Milwaukee is the first cousin of the Wraight children. According to the 1900 U. S. Census Maria arrived in the U.S. in 1870 and was listed that year as a domestic BUT on the 1900 census she is listed as the sister of the head of the household Stephen Aldridge. Maria was with Stephen and Mary in the 1870 census also.

Mary Cantellow married William Wraight and was the mother of Mary, Ann, Rebecca, Martha, William and Sarah Wraight.

Mary Wraight [April 1840] is the lady in question for me.

Ann Wraight [June 3, 1841] died April 22, 1869 I have her funeral card.
Rebecca Wraight [1843-1913] married Henry Holmwood.
Martha Wraight [1845-1921] married Robert Huggett
William Wraight [b.1846] married Caroline Baker
Sarah Wraight [b. 1849] is unexplored at the moment.

My gut feel has always been that Mary [April 1840] was the wife of Stephen Aldridge because of all the pictures that I have of the Aldridge children, of Stephen himself with the caption written on the back 'Uncle Stephen Aldridge U.S.A.'. The picture that came to light and cast the shadow was the one that had the caption 'my aunt Maria or Mary' with Lucy Huggett's initials on the back of it. The 1900 Milwaukee census has the right month just the wrong year for wife Mary's birth date. The statement on the 1900 census that Maria was Stephen's sister also raised the issue of 'how could that be'.

Does any of this make sense?

Lynda

Sheridanfine
17-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi Lynda

It does make absolute sense to me without doubt and because I know that those "feelings" that we have are really important to hang on to. Years ago I found a 1910 census image that had an Elizabeth and Catherine on ages and everything were perfect for my Grandmother and Great Grandmother but I have never found a 1900, 1920 or 1930 census with my Great Grandparents on nor deaths to prove that the 1910 family were mine and my family were very famous in New York or I should say notorious <G>.....but I just know that this is mine...

Take what has been found and file it for now, something will turn up that will prove things. I personally would send for the marriage certificate even just to prove that this is not your Mary and it would be money well spent.

Hopefully the Raogk volunteer will turn something up that will help in your search for the truth regarding Maria, do let us know how you get on!

I really do wish you luck in your search and would love to know when you have a conclusion.

My very best wishes

Yvonne

Alan Welsford
17-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Hello both,

I just typed a very detailed response to you both, only to have the site time out and lose everything |computer|

A real pain, as I thought I had argued things better than sometimes, (but then you'll have to take my word for it ;))

In summary.

I am convinced that the Mary WRIGHT at the same address as Rebecca CANTELLOW in Speldhurst, Kent in 1861 in Mary WRAIGHT. Everything fit's apart from the slight surname variant, and there are no candidates actually with the Surname WRIGHT.

Couple that to Stephen shown with an Emily in the 1860 US census, and a likely marriage in the UK in 1857 to an Emily, and I've little doubt that was his first wife.

If you know Stephen's father's name, the certificate would almost certainly tell you one way or the other, and may have other corroborating information like ages.

I did try and follow the likely marriage of William ASHDOWN to Mary WRAIGHT.

I struggled here slightly.

1) The marriage is significantly later than the birth's several of the children listed in 1871
2) I couldn't easily find William before 1871 - I wondered if he might have been a Widower when he married, and some of the children were for a previous wife.
3) I couldn't easily find birth registrations for the children, which should be in Tonbridge, if Speldhurst place of birth is right. I looked both as ASHDOWN and WRAIGHT for earlier ones.

I'm not sure what I did wrong. With names like Aaron, or what look like some twins, they should be a doddle to find.

Again though I'd buy that wedding certificate too, which should either confirm it's your Mary WRAIGHT, or maybe demonstrate it is not.

I think the cost of a couple of certificates will either cement Yvonne's great work, or prove we need to go back to the drawing board.

I'm sure I said it better last time, but it's late, I'm tired, but felt I should give you both some sort of answer.

Sorry it's all been redone in haste.

Alan

Lynda Marie
18-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi Lynda

It does make absolute sense to me without doubt and because I know that those "feelings" that we have are really important to hang on to. Years ago I found a 1910 census image that had an Elizabeth and Catherine on ages and everything were perfect for my Grandmother and Great Grandmother but I have never found a 1900, 1920 or 1930 census with my Great Grandparents on nor deaths to prove that the 1910 family were mine and my family were very famous in New York or I should say notorious <G>.....but I just know that this is mine...

Take what has been found and file it for now, something will turn up that will prove things. I personally would send for the marriage certificate even just to prove that this is not your Mary and it would be money well spent.

Hopefully the Raogk volunteer will turn something up that will help in your search for the truth regarding Maria, do let us know how you get on!

I really do wish you luck in your search and would love to know when you have a conclusion.

My very best wishes

Yvonne

Thank you very much for your help Yvonne. What surname in New York are you looking for. I still have a significant amount of research in that area to do and would love to keep an eye out for your ancestors as I prowl through the census etc. Give me some background information and I will watch for them too. It appears you and I have a similar background, as I too work in libraries and this searching comes relatively easy when you have an eye for detail.

Again, thank you. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your husband and let me know if I can help you in any way.

Lynda

Lynda Marie
18-03-2008, 12:31 AM
That hammer banging the computer says it all in more ways than one. I am sorry you lost your first reply but am sure that you have done equally as well with this one. I will see what I can get my hands on to prove or disprove our theories.

I plan to keep all of this research and see what comes of it. I am hopeful that the lady in Milwaukee will have some news on the weekend that will help us as well.

This research file is not closed. I want the two of you to know that I sincerely appreciate all of your help and suggestions. It proves that two heads are better than one. I will definitely post any further findings.

Thanks a million and Alan and Yvonne please let me know if I can help you find anything on this side of the world. I would be happy to try.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
18-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Well I genuinely think the lion's share of the credit should go to Yvonne.

She has ferreted out all manner of stuff, much of which I have no access to.

I was happy to be convinced of an answer, but now I can see I didn't question things enough.

I'm still bugged by this William ASHDOWN & Mary family she has found, though. Their kids should have obvious birth registrations, and I can't find 'em.

Alan

Lynda Marie
06-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Wanted to post an update. My Milwaukee contact at RAOGK has found a death certificate for Maria Cantellow and for Stephen Aldridge. The certificate for Mary Aldridge is located in another location and she is going to try and get that for me. I did receive two images via email but was unable to read either of them. The two certificates are on their way snail mail.

Lynda

Lynda Marie
10-04-2008, 6:58 PM
Wanted to post an update. My Milwaukee contact at RAOGK has found a death certificate for Maria Cantellow and for Stephen Aldridge. The certificate for Mary Aldridge is located in another location and she is going to try and get that for me. I did receive two images via email but was unable to read either of them. The two certificates are on their way snail mail.

Lynda

The certificate for Stephen Aldridge confirms that his wife is Mary Wraight. The surprise for me is that on the death certificate for Maria Cantellow, she is the daughter of Mary Cantellow and William Wraight and therefore is Mary Wraight Aldridge's sister. Maria was born (May 8, 1831) before William Wraight and Mary Cantellow married in 1839. I realize that she could be a half sibling and that the listing of William Wraight on her death certificate could be the name of the only father she knew.

The quest continues. Thank you all for your very hard work and the directions in which you have guided me to find the answer.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
10-04-2008, 7:33 PM
Thanks for the update Lynda,

It's been a while, and I'm struggling to remember the intricacies of this complex story.

Like you, I'm surprised by Maria's parentage, as I thought you had her attributed elsewhere. Was that just on the basis of who she was with in 1841 census, (where no relationship actually shown), or was there some further source, please ?

I know you will not have been surprised to see Mary WRAIGHT as Stephen's wife, so well done for sticking to your convictions. I must admit I had become persuaded that she was not.

I don't suppose you are any closer to knowing when and where they married ?

I still feel the work Yvonne did could mean he was first married to someone else in the UK, and subsequently remarried to Mary.

What really troubles me is that Mary Wraight appears to be in the same household as Rebecca Cantellow in Speldhurst in 1861, which would seem to eliminate her from being with Stephen in the US until after that date.

But as I said, it's been a while, and I'd need to look at the whole thing, in the light of the new information, (should only need about a week, I estimate!).

Anyway thanks for the update!

Alan

Lynda Marie
12-04-2008, 12:29 AM
It's been a while, and I'm struggling to remember the intricacies of this complex story.

Like you, I'm surprised by Maria's parentage, as I thought you had her attributed elsewhere. Was that just on the basis of who she was with in 1841 census, (where no relationship actually shown), or was there some further source, please ?

The question was Maria's parentage. She was listed as Stephen Aldridge's sister on the U. S. Census. I could not determine how a Cantellow could be the sister of an Aldridge. As it turns out Maria was the sister of Stephen's wife Mary. Which was a surprise in itself. It appears that she was born in May 1831 before Mary Cantellow (Maria's mother) married William Wraight in 1839. In the 1841 Census Maria was with Rebecca Cantellow who was her grandmother as it turns out.

I know you will not have been surprised to see Mary WRAIGHT as Stephen's wife, so well done for sticking to your convictions. I must admit I had become persuaded that she was not.

All the evidence (pictures and letters) pointed to Mary Wraight being Stephen's wife. I just did not have anything concrete.

I don't suppose you are any closer to knowing when and where they married ?
No, I do not have that sorted out yet.

What really troubles me is that Mary Wraight appears to be in the same household as Rebecca Cantellow in Speldhurst in 1861, which would seem to eliminate her from being with Stephen in the US until after that date.

The actual census reads Mary Wright. I know that Wright and Wraight were interchangable. I will have to see what the BMD's have for a Mary Wright in the same time frame.

Lynda

Alan Welsford
12-04-2008, 7:30 PM
Hi Lynda,

When I looked at this quite hard before, I couldn't find any Mary WRIGHT who was candidate to be the person with Rebecca CANTELLOW in Speldhurst in 1861.

In all details, except the missing 'A' in the Surname she appeared to be a perfect match for Mary WRAIGHT.

It seems a very remarkable coincidence if it's not Mary WRAIGHT, that she just happens to be in the same house as Rebecca, (well it does to me ! :o).

Of course it's possible, I've missed something, I quite accept.

Sorry, but I still think on the basis of what Yvonne found, that Stephen may have married someone else initially, and that Mary could still prove to be a second wife. That at least would get over the fact that she would have been remarkably young to have married him before he first travelled. (That aspect has always felt uncomfortable to me).

However this story has been full of twists, so if you can prove my hunch wrong, I will not be at all surprised !

Alan

peter wraight
22-04-2008, 8:59 PM
I met Lucy Huggett when she visited TUNBRIDGE WELLS in 1963 - remarkable lady. In 1974 she sent me photos of my great great grandparents WILLIAM WRAIGHT & MARY CANTELOW. married 1839.
William had a younger brother GEORGE, both came from Cranbrook according to the Census. William died in 1896 at an age of 82.
Their fathers name was WILLIAM WRAIGHT.
I am trying to trace my great great great grandfather WILLIAM WRAIGHT of CRANBROOK. No luck so far.
Lynda, if you would like me to post you copies of what I have, please let me know. We must be related so how?

Lynda Marie
23-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the forum Peter. Yes we are related. I have not figured out the actual connection but Lucy Huggett was my great great aunt. She was indeed a very remarkable lady. I knew her well.

I am very interested in your family history Peter and would love to share with you.

Thank you for making contact.

Lynda

Lynda Marie
25-04-2008, 1:21 PM
I met Lucy Huggett when she visited TUNBRIDGE WELLS in 1963 - remarkable lady. In 1974 she sent me photos of my great great grandparents WILLIAM WRAIGHT & MARY CANTELOW. married 1839.
William had a younger brother GEORGE, both came from Cranbrook according to the Census. William died in 1896 at an age of 82.
I am trying to trace my great great great grandfather WILLIAM WRAIGHT of CRANBROOK. No luck so far.
Lynda, if you would like me to post you copies of what I have, please let me know. We must be related so how?

Peter, if the information I have on file is correct we are third cousins once removed. I would love to fill my files in accurately about your branch of the family. Was George the only sibling? Do you have parents for William 1814-1896 ?

Funeral cards for William read as follows: "In Memory o/ William Wraight,/ who died/ on Wednesday, July 8th, 1896,/ aged 82 years./ This languished head is at rest,/ It's thinking and aching are o'er,/ This quiet immovable breast,/ Is heaved by affliction no more. / This heart is no longer the seat / Of trouble and torturing pain,/ It ceases to flutter and beat,/ It never shall flutter again." In an 1896 letter to her granddaughter in Canada, Mary writes that "Willie Wraight" had the cards made for her.

Lynda

peter wraight
27-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Lynda
GEORGE R WRAIGHT is the only other sibling I know about.
40 years ago I searched for christenings/baptisms/marriages to try to get back another generation but without success. However I might have missed something because in those days it was a matter of going through the original manuscript entries usually under poor lighting in churches where the records were kept.
I searched in and around CRANBROOK which is given in the census. Cranbrook isn't far from here and is in the same county - KENT.

Poor William suffered badly at the end. "Chronic Diarrhoea 6 Months" it said on his death certificate.

Lynda Marie
28-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Hi Peter. I had found a James born Cranbrook in 1811 on the IGI and his parents James 1791 born Cranbrook who married Ann Town of Maidstone Dec. 4, 1809 at All Saints, Maidstone.

I have a letter that Mary, William's wife, wrote after the death of William, to whom she was married 57 years according to her letter. She said that William had died of 'consumption of the bowel' and she herself had a bad leg. Apparently she had been put out of her home after William's death and was receiving 1 pound 6 from the parish starving work. The letter was written from 10 Beech Street, Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Lynda

peter wraight
29-04-2008, 7:22 PM
Linda
Thanks,James could be connected but I've been spending my time looking for another WILLIAM, because MARY CANTELLOW's Marriage Certificate records that William's Father's Name was also "WILLIAM WRAIGHT". I suggest that you hold back until you receive my snail mail which includes copies of various certificates.
Poor Mary, I feel sorry for her. I believe her son was abroad and never came back. I'll check the address. One side of Beech Street was demolished several years ago.
Peter

Lynda Marie
30-04-2008, 1:12 PM
Linda
Thanks,James could be connected but I've been spending my time looking for another WILLIAM, because MARY CANTELLOW's Marriage Certificate records that William's Father's Name was also "WILLIAM WRAIGHT". I suggest that you hold back until you receive my snail mail which includes copies of various certificates.
Poor Mary, I feel sorry for her. I believe her son was abroad and never came back. I'll check the address. One side of Beech Street was demolished several years ago.
Peter

Thank you for your response Peter. I eagerly await your snail mail. I think Aunt Lucy was checking out Beech Street also.

William was in Milwaukee with Stephen Aldridge.

Lynda

baldy
09-07-2008, 4:06 AM

Hi Peter.
I read with some interest about your William Wraight.I do have some information on the Wraights (family) from Cranbrook
One wonders if your William & mine are the same people ?
My William was born C:- 1789 in Cranbrook--he married Ann Dungey
They had numerous children (which I have not found --as yet),one was Charles ,he married Sarah Jenner.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Regards Baldy (au)

Lynda Marie
30-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Peter.
I read with some interest about your William Wraight.I do have some information on the Wraights (family) from Cranbrook
One wonders if your William & mine are the same people ?
My William was born C:- 1789 in Cranbrook--he married Ann Dungey
They had numerous children (which I have not found --as yet),one was Charles ,he married Sarah Jenner.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Regards Baldy (au)

Hello Baldy, yes it does sound familiar. I would love to compare notes with you. I have 5 children for the union of William and Ann so far. My research is far from complete and in fact is only in the preliminary stages.

Lynda