PDA

View Full Version : Coram in Wellington?

Di&Trev
15-12-2004, 7:24 PM
I would appreciate thoughts on this:-
In my family tree, this would be my g/g/grandfather, there is a John Talbot Coram b circa 1828. Place unknown. Talbot as a middle name seems to be a family tradition as it surfaces throughout the family (including the women). Male first names in next couple of generations are John, Herbert, Reginald & Hugh all with Talbot as a middle name.
John Talbot Coram surfaces in Tasmania in 1861 when he marries.
I am trying to pin point where the family came from originally to try to work out who, when/where either voluntarily or involuntarily left the UK.
In the transcripts of St John's Wellington there are several Corams including a Hugh Talbot Coram baptised 19 Sept 1827. Father Henry , mother Eliza. I can't find this Hugh on IGI or Henry & Eliza so can't do a parent search to see if by some miracle they had a John the following year.
I'm going to try to order the film from FHL next week as the stuff on the genuki site dosen't cover the years my John would have been born but in the meantime can anyone suggest where (assuming John was a convict) he would have been sentenced to deportation? If he wasn't a convict are there any records for migrations to Tasmania?
And finally (Sorry bout this folks!) does anyone have access to any records i.e.early census's that might pinpoint the Corams a bit more.
Any help, ideas, much appreciated.

Peggy
15-12-2004, 8:44 PM
Hi Diane,

Don't know if this is any help. Found on Ancestry:

Wills Proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
1622 Coram, John, Wellington, co. Somerset 78 Savile

Cheers,

Peggy

barrie wise
16-12-2004, 8:01 AM
Hello Diane,

I had a quick look for Coram at the State Archives today and found the following, which you may already know:

i no John Talbot Coram on the Convict register

ii no Coram's mentioned on the Free Arrival card index [this doesn't mean a great deal]

iii John Coram, aged 33, married Eliza Zelley, aged 26, on the 21st August 1861 at Port Sorell [district] ref: RGD 37/446

iv John Coram, aged 60, died on the 26th May 1890 at Glamorgan [district] ref: RGD 35/759

note: Port Sorell is on the North West coast near Devonport, while Glamorgan is on the East coast near Swansea.

Hopes this helps,
Barrie

Di&Trev
17-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Hi to you both.
Thanks for looking for him. Yes he was married to Eliza Zelley nee Byron. :)
He died in 1890 at Glamorgan
Have just found out from another source that John Talbot Coram was a Warden at Sorrell. Do you know if there is any archive to search for the Wardens records, I almost wish he'd been a convict I might have found him on the Convicts lists then but I have no idea where to look on-line or in the UK for details of Wardens.

barrie wise
18-12-2004, 10:08 AM
The town of Sorell is just South East of Hobart, and not far from where I live. Next time I am at the Archives, I will see what I came find on the Wardens, if nothing I could try the Sorell Council for you to see if they still hold any old records.
Will be in touch,
Barrie.

Di&Trev
18-12-2004, 8:45 PM
Thanks Barrie.
Much appreciated