PDA

View Full Version : SOUTH SHIELDS Mariners

HelenW
15-12-2004, 3:29 PM
Hello, this is my first posting to this Forum & apologies in advance for any errors in my queries.
Have recently discovered my maternal ancestors were originally from Whitby NRY with surnames FEARD and BRIDEKIRK. BRIDEKIRK surname then moves to South Shields with my line intermarrying with STOREY(variant STORY/STORIE/STORYE). I've recently downloaded a Proven Will dated 1833 from London & unfortunately it is practically illegible, not only due to the clerk's tiny writing but the quality of what appears to be a rough photostatted copy - however beggars can't be choosers & I felt lucky to have downloaded it. Question 1 is: after having paid for this download & received a receipt nbr, can I approach Nat. Records for a clearer copy to be mailed to me in Australia ?
Question 2 is: I've managed to track my ex Westoe Sth Shields mariner BRIDEKIRK to Cape of Good Hope Sth Africa where he became Dpty Port Master/Harbour Capt. with 2 grandsons arriving Cape Town ex South Shields, elder grandson residing Cape as Gazetteer/printer (however dying aged 48yrs) & younger grandson (my line) requesting "colonial pass" in Sth African records and possibly departing Cape Town circa 1825 for Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) which at that time was a harsh penal settlement with few settlers. Does anyone know how I can discover Harbour Capt BRIDEKIRK's occupation (i.e. Army, Merchant Marine/Master Mariner?) prior to his arrival at The Cape?
Lastly, does anyone know how and why my direct ancestor, the youngest grandson, came to request a "colonial pass" - would he have had to be in the military or was this a prerequisite for all people departing Sth Africa under the British Colonial Office's rules at the time ? I would very much appreciate any guidance and/or comment from anyone with knowledge of NE England's mariner history - thank you in advance & Season's Greeting to all.
Helen W Australia circa 1825 for Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) which at that time was a harsh penal settlement with few settlers. Does anyone know how I can discover Harbour Capt BRIDEKIRK's occupation (i.e. Army, Merchant Marine/Master Mariner?) prior to his arrival at The Cape?
Lastly, does anyone know how and why my direct ancestor, the youngest grandson, came to request a "colonial pass" - would he have had to be in the military or was this a prerequisite for all people departing Sth Africa under the Briti African records and possibly departing Cape Town circa 1825 for Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) which at that time was a harsh penal settlement with few settlers. Does anyone know how I can discover Harbour Capt BRIDEKIRK's occupation (i.e. Army, Merchant Marine/Master Mariner?) prior to his arrival at The Cape?
Lastly, does anyone know how and why my direct ancestor, the youngest grandson, came to request a "colonial pass" - would he have had to be in the military or was this a prerequisite for all people departing Sth Africa under the British Colonial Office's rules at the time ? I would very much appreciate any guidance and/or comment from anyone with knowledge of NE England's mariner history - thank you in advance & Season's Greeting to all.
Helen W Australia circa 1825 for Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) which at that time was a harsh penal settlement with few settlers. Does anyone know how I can discover Harbour Capt BRIDEKIRK's occupation (i.e. Army, Merchant Marine/Master Mariner?) prior to his arrival at The Cape?
Lastly, does anyone know how and why my direct ancestor, the youngest grandson, came to request a "colonial pass" - would he have had to be in the military or was this a prerequisite for all people departing Sth Africa under the British Colonial5 for Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) which at that time was a harsh penal settlement with few settlers. Does anyone know how I can discover Harbour Capt BRIDEKIRK's occupation (i.e. Army, Merchant Marine/Master Mariner?) prior to his arrival at The Cape?
Helen W Australia |banghead|