PDA

View Full Version : Which newspapers would have covered Fatfield?

Mandie
15-12-2004, 12:40 PM
I'm trying to trace a Dora BELL who drowned in the River Wear at Mount Pleasant/Fatfield. Now know it to be Penshaw I have been unable to locate her date of death as yet. I do know she was with her older brother Eleazer Cuthbert BELL, who was born in 1906, and that he was a child himself when Dora's death occurred.

I'm guessing that newspapers will provide me with the best source of information, but I'm not sure which County Durham newspapers would have covered the Fatfield area. Can anyone suggest the most likely newspapers to look at? Thanks.

Geoffers
15-12-2004, 1:45 PM
I'm trying to trace a Dora BELL who drowned in the River Wear at Mount Pleasant/Fatfield....I'm guessing that newspapers will provide me with the best source of information, but I'm not sure which County Durham newspapers would have covered the Fatfield area. Can anyone suggest the most likely newspapers to look at? Thanks.Newspapers are likely to record such accidents, your best bet is to locate a date of death using the GRO index to apply for a certificate.

The BL newspaper library catalogue has a very simple and quick search engine
http://prodigi.bl.uk/nlcat/welcome.asp
I doubt that you'll find a newspaper for Fatfield, try searching under Chester-le-Street, or Durham

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Murtonia
17-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Mandie, You could always try the Sunderland Echo. The Newcastle Journal could well have covered Fatfield as well. Good luck

Mandie
18-12-2004, 7:43 AM
Mandie, You could always try the Sunderland Echo. The Newcastle Journal could well have covered Fatfield as well. Good luck

Thanks Murtonia, I wasn't sure which newspapers where the most likely without having to wade through them all! I'll try those two first.

Murtonia
30-12-2004, 4:04 PM
Mandie - another thought about Dora's death. Presumably there would have been an inquest. At that time Fatfield was part of County Durham. You could always contact the Durham County Council Records Office at County Hall to see if they have retained the inquest record. They may even do a search on local newspapers for a report. Happy hunting.

Mandie
23-04-2005, 9:45 PM
As an add on to this, I found her death at Durham Records Office on Wednesday. :)

Dorothy Elizabeth Bell aged 2, 23 Mount Pleasant, Buried March 25th 1912 at Penshaw.

I checked through the newspapers, which DRO had, but nothing that covered that area/or that date and they haven't the inquest details for that period either. But I now at least now when she was buried, so can send for her death certificate.

Kevinb8165
27-09-2007, 2:53 PM
I'm trying to trace a Dora BELL who drowned in the River Wear at Mount Pleasant/Fatfield. Now know it to be Penshaw I have been unable to locate her date of death as yet. I do know she was with her older brother Eleazer Cuthbert BELL, who was born in 1906, and that he was a child himself when Dora's death occurred.

I'm guessing that newspapers will provide me with the best source of information, but I'm not sure which County Durham newspapers would have covered the Fatfield area. Can anyone suggest the most likely newspapers to look at? Thanks.

Mandie;9302 I'm the youngest son of William Mowbray Bell who was Eleazer Cuthbert Bells oldest brother. i have just stumbled across your initial enquiry from way back in 2004, very interesting, hope to hear from you. Kevinb8165

Mandie
27-09-2007, 6:07 PM
Mandie;9302 I'm the youngest son of William Mowbray Bell who was Eleazer Cuthbert Bells oldest brother. i have just stumbled across your initial enquiry from way back in 2004, very interesting, hope to hear from you. Kevinb8165

Hello, I think you're my partner's second cousin. :)

I'll PM you my email address so you can get in touch. I have lots of information I can share with you about the Bell's.