PDA

View Full Version : Organ Builders

Browniescorner
09-03-2008, 2:56 AM
|help| I am trying desperately to find some record of an Organ Builder. Does anyone know where I can find lists of the people who chose this occupation.
The Organ Builder I'm looking for was born in Liverpool in c.1858, he went to Australia sometime before 1891 where he married a girl from Yorkshire. They had their family in Sydney, Australia & then all moved back to Liverpool, England.
|banghead| I have scoured all Census records & can find no trace of any organ builders let alone the one I'm looking for. I suspect it might have been a 'family occupation', his son worked in the same field, therefore I suspect his father or some other member of the family did so also.

Peter Goodey
09-03-2008, 7:37 AM
The 1881 census has a number of Organ Builders including several born in Liverpool.

Geoffers
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I am trying desperately to find some record of an Organ Builder. Does anyone know where I can find lists of the people who chose this occupation.

As well as census returns, have you tried directories? - Kelly's, White's, Post Office, etc, etc. Lots are available from The Parish Chest (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/www.parishchest.com).

My crystal ball is a bit mirky - does the organ builder have a name?

Browniescorner
09-03-2008, 1:36 PM
As well as census returns, have you tried directories? - Kelly's, White's, Post Office, etc, etc. Lots are available from The Parish Chest (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/www.parishchest.com).

My crystal ball is a bit mirky - does the organ builder have a name?

Sorry, I thought I had put his name in, it was George Alfred Forster b.c.1858
His son, Edward Arthur Forster also worked with Organs.

Browniescorner
09-03-2008, 1:52 PM
The 1881 census has a number of Organ Builders including several born in Liverpool.

Thank You! I looked for my person in the Liverpool 1881 census, but no luck. But you gave me an idea to search the entire country for Organ Builders & guess what, I found him! We were led to believe he was born in Liverpool, but guess what, he wasn't!
I had tried the whole country before but with the wrong details!
Thank You for the inspiration to look again. |jumphappy