PDA

View Full Version : Childrens home/or Workhouse

Eiton
07-03-2008, 6:11 PM
In 1871 the family I am researching for a friend split up. Three girls are all described as inmates in Bristol, the boy we think went to sea giving a false age; the parents have disappeared.
Hurley family all born Bristol but according to family father had Scotish blood and it is said his parents were still in Scotland,
Jessy Hurley, Ellen Hurley and another girl all in a Bristol home what I am hoping to discover - ?Were these girls sent to live in Canada along with many other children which apparently happened in Bristol around this time?
If so how do I go about discovering this. The area was St James Bristol then Gloucestershire 1871; I cannot trace the parents deths either.

Eiton

(The Hurley family ended up in Barnstaple in Devon and some are still there now):confused:

Alan Welsford
07-03-2008, 6:39 PM
If you use Google to search for something like "British Home Children", you will turn up databases of children shipped to Canada, from dates around 1870 up until as late as about 1950. I don't really know how these lists work, as there seems to be multiple databases

Here are some examples extracted at

http://
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~britishhomechildren/

for surname HURLEY, but I suspect you would get different results at other sites.

As I understand it, identities of children shipped under these scemes were often altered, so someone might have been given a different identity in Canada from what they were born with.

SURNAME First Middle Birth Place Ship Date Age Contributor
---------------------------------------------------------
HURLEY Alexander 1869 Eng Circassian 1886 17 Unclaimed
HURLEY Alfred 24/05/1876 Eng Parisian 1890 17 Unclaimed
HURLEY Alfred Eng 1890 Unclaimed
HURLEY Arthur 1869 Eng Circassian 1886 19 Unclaimed
HURLEY Beatrice 1880 Eng Labrador 1893 13 Unclaimed
HURLEY David 1871 Eng Polynesian 1888 17 Unclaimed
HURLEY Frank 1865 Eng Ontario 1882 17 Unclaimed
HURLEY J 1874 Eng Circassian 1885 11 Unclaimed
HURLEY J 1896 Eng Corsican 1909 13 Unclaimed
HURLEY James 1890 Eng Bavarian 1905 15 Claimed
HURLEY Jasper 1898 Eng Royal Edward 1913 15 Unclaimed
HURLEY John 1864 Eng Sarmatian 1872 8 Unclaimed
HURLEY John 1897 Eng Corinthian 1913 16 Unclaimed
HURLEY John 1860 Eng Sarmatian 1874 14 Unclaimed
HURLEY Joseph 1899 Eng Tunisian 1914 15 Unclaimed
HURLEY Mary 1901 Eng Pretorian 1902 1 Unclaimed
HURLEY Mary Ann 1891 Eng Bavarian 1905 14 Claimed
HURLEY Minnie 1876 Eng Peruvian 1884 8 Unclaimed
HURLEY Patrick 1863 Eng Moravian 1876 13 Unclaimed
HURLEY Sophie 1895 Eng Tunisian 1906 11 Unclaimed
HURLEY Timothy 1861 Eng Parisian 1887 16 Unclaimed

Peter Goodey
07-03-2008, 8:09 PM
Why do you think they were sent to Canada?

The institution appears to be described as a convent. Would you agree? Did RCs go in for that sort of thing?

Alan Welsford
07-03-2008, 9:53 PM
Yes, it's clearly a Convent with an attachrd Orphanage.

If this link works, it's referred to in this book.....

http://
books.google.co.uk/books?id=RSGjl6JsWBMC&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=%22dighton+Street%22+bristol+convent+%22our+lad y+of+mercy%22&source=web&ots=_Pv39yLE3_&sig=IsbtDaiTwbSKD9d_8sm6Mrugljo&hl=en#PPA157,M1

Look at the bottom of pge 157, continuing on to the top of page 158.

I don't think it's inmates sound like obvious candidates for shipping abroad, but I'll freely admit to being in an area where I can contribute very little.... :o

Alan

Peter_uk_can
07-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I am currently researching Catholic Schools/Convents/Childrens Homes,,, call them what you will.

I have come across a fair number who have European countries as their birth place but as yet I don't have the why's and wherefores.

I have two know Canadians who are missing from Census returns during the years when family legend says that they were in a convent /etc.

Hence the close look. If and when I find anything I will get back on this post.

Alan Welsford
07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I reckon I've found Mary & Ellen together in 1891.
Admittedly mary has "lost" 3 years in the 20 years since 1871, but that isn't at all unusual, (particularly if she is still hopefull of finding a husband ;))

Close enough, do you reckon ?

Alan

Name: Mary Hurley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Relation: Servant
Where born: Bristol, Somerset, England
Civil Parish: Kensington
Ecclesiastical parish: St Jude
County/Island: London
Street address: 27 Harrington Road
Registration district: Kensington
Sub-registration district: Brompton
ED, institution, or vessel: 20
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Catherine Asner 51
Alice Blach 21
Sarah Hunter 31
Ellen Hurley 26 Servant, Single, Age 26, Schoolroom Maid, Born Somerset Bristol
Mary Hurley 30 Servant, Single, Age 30, Lady's Maid, Born Somerset Bristol
Sarah G MacLean 19
Walter Richardson 23
Betty Romer 47
Frank Romer 19
Robert Romer 50 (Justice of the High Court)
Kate L Romer 14
Mark L Romer 24
Robert L Romer 25
Rulph C Romer 22
Thomas F Thorne 30

Class: RG12; Piece: 33; Folio 47; Page 86

Peter Goodey
07-03-2008, 10:32 PM
The website of the Merseyside Maritime Museum says that Roman Catholic organisations did send children to Canada.

So contrary to my initial thoughts, being in a convent did not preclude them being shipped away.

However, the question remains - is there any evidence that this is what happened to them?

Alan Welsford
07-03-2008, 10:33 PM
However, the question remains - is there any evidence that this is what happened to them?
Not for at least 2 of them, I think - see post above yours.

Alan

LESLEY S
08-03-2008, 4:55 PM
Although it may seem these children did not go to Canada, there was an article in the Bristol Evening Post this week about this very subject. It says about 3,000 Bristol children were sent there between 1867 and 1917 and up to 80,000 altogether from Britain. Many of the boys were given very hard and demanding work on the farms.

It seems the Evangelicals started it followed by the Roman Catholic Church then the Church of England and even the Salvation Army.

There is a book on the subject called "Uprooted: The Shipment of Poor Children to Canada, 1867-1917 price £70

Peter Goodey
08-03-2008, 5:03 PM
Not for at least 2 of them, I think - see post above yours.

Alan

Noted, Alan. Your message appeared while I was still thinking about my three lines ;)

Alan Welsford
08-03-2008, 5:53 PM
Although it may seem these children did not go to Canada, there was an article in the Bristol Evening Post this week about this very subject. It says about 3,000 Bristol children were sent there between 1867 and 1917 and up to 80,000 altogether from Britain.

It seems the Evangelicals started it followed by the Roman Catholic Church then the Church of England and even the Salvation Army.

Yes,

Having checked some other sites, the total number of children involved is thought to exceed 100,000.

Certainly Catholic organisations are listed amongst those sending.

Dr Barnados seems to be one of the key players.

But, as you say, the evidence seems to be that at least 2 of these 3 girls were not involved.

Alan

Eiton
09-03-2008, 1:51 PM
Hello all,
Thank you for your input. To Peter Welsford - The info i read described poverty oin Bristol and stated many children were sent to Canada by the local government to 'give them a better chance in life' Some were orphans some had parents unable to look after them. To all you other folk intersted. I also found the two girls together in London and wondered if it was them, I was about to add it to my tree sites when i read the info about the canada thing. I beleive maybe you are right and this is the two girls but where is Jessy I cannot find her even on the death register. These things are sent to try us i am sure and iwill keep slogging on. thank you all for your help and thanks also for the book link i will try it today. eiton|idea|

Alan Welsford
09-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Hello all,
Thank you for your input. To Peter Welsford ...........

Well we have an Alan Welsford or a Peter Goodey, so not quite sure which of us you are after!

I think we have both agreed that Catholic organisations were included amongst those shipping children to Canada. However I don't think that's what's happened here.

I'm fairly confident the two I have found are the right ones, (I'd have been less confident, had I not found both together).

I am disappointed I can't find the third, but she is playing hard to get.

It's strange really, because Jessy ought to be an easier name than the other two to track. I can't help wondering if she subsequently went by some other name, or we have some how failed to find a death.

For the other two, once they are in London, it's going to be very hard to track them, if they married after that census. The names are rather to common to give a good chance of easily finding them thereafter.

Best wishes,

Alan

Lynda Marie
15-05-2008, 1:23 AM
Eiton
I have found a Miss Hurley born about 1865 in the Home Children archives on the Canadian government site. The 1891 census information that Alan found has Mary born about 1861, is it possible that this lady is Mary's sister Jessy?

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/index-e.html
scroll down to Home Children (1869-1930)
go to Immigration Search on the left hand side
type in the name "Hurley" and there are 27 results
Number 21 is a 34 year old Miss Hurley

Name: HURLEY
Given Name: Miss
Sex: F
Ship: Dominion
Year of Arrival: 1899
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 13 April 1899
Arrival Port: Quebec
Arrival Date: 23 April 1899
Party: Hon. Mrs. Joyce, Winchester
Destination: Various places
Comments: 24 young women as domestics and one boy who went to Winnipeg
Source: Library and Archives Canada
Reference: RG76 C 1 a
Microfilm: C-4542
Type of Record: Passenger Lists
Group of Children Traveling Together

If you go back to the index page as above and scroll down to Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 and click search on the left hand side, type in the name of the ship and the port of arrival as well as the date April 23, 1899 you will get the ship name (Dominion), click on that name and you will get the following information.
Passenger Lists, 1865-1922
Detailed Description
View Image Results | Search
Ship: DOMINION
Departure Port and Date (yyyy/mm/dd): Liverpool, England - 1899-04-13Londonderry, Ireland - [1899-04]
Port and Date of Arrival: Montreal, Que. - 1899-04-23Quebec, Que. -
Remarks: List Number: 1
List includes: Mrs. Joyce's party Mr. Wallace's group of children to Belleville Mr. Fegan's boys
Reference: RG 76
Microfilm: C-4542

If you click on 'View Image' (top left) you can see the actual ship manifest and scroll through it to page 4 and 15 entries from the top of the page is the name Miss Hurley age 34 a servant bound for London, Ontario. She is travelling with Mrs. Joyce's party.

Lynda

susan-y
15-05-2008, 1:50 AM
Many of the boys were given very hard and demanding work on the farms.

:( Not only the boys had hard lives. I once knew a lady that came to Canada at about 12 years of age in the late 1800's. The people she went to treated her terribly. She carried 2 cans of milk to the nearest town, balanced on a long stick over her shoulders for a distance of 6 miles in all kinds of weather... that would be very extreme cold and heavy blowing snow in the winter months.
Finally, in her "old age" she married a fellow resident in the care facility and they moved to an assisted living apartment..her first home of her own.|hug|

Sue

Eiton
19-05-2008, 4:40 PM
hi there, I am sorry I have only just got back, but first i was ill then i forgot all about the post i had set.
I am sorry but after reading this through i have come to the conlusion that they did not go and are the family in Kensington; Thanks for your input guys; eiton