PDA

View Full Version : RICHARDS - CHEPSTOW - 1841

mjkisxo
07-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Can anyone please help with any information on Samuel Lewis Richards or his family. He was a native of Chepstow in 1841 when convicted and sentenced to life in Tasmania. Would love to trace his family. Any type of information would be great

Many thanks karen

John Nicholas
07-03-2008, 9:44 AM
Hello Karen,

If you mean that Samuel was native to Chepstow (rather than just living there), the following might be of help.

A Samuel RICHARDS was christened on 19th March 1823, the son of Lewis and Mary. They were living in the workhouse and Lewis was a razor grinder. On the same day, Edwin RICHARDS was also christened, the son of the same parents.

I also noted a burial of Edwin RICHARDS, aged 16, a pauper of the workhouse on 27th May 1840.

I did not notice death records for Lewis or Mary and I could not find convincing census records for them or Samuel in 1841, although there is a Mary RICHARDS aged about 50 living in Chepstow (HO107 / 745 / 6 folio 18 page 29).

The Monmouthshire transcripts are quite extensive but do require a bit of searching. Anyway, it's a line of enquiry to consider and perhaps to follow up if it matches anything else you know about Samuel.

Good luck!
John

Geoffers
07-03-2008, 9:52 AM
This thread is partially covered by one on the Black Sheep forum, to help prevent someone posting the same suggestion twice, also see this link (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27062)

mjkisxo
10-03-2008, 6:52 AM
That's fantastic John, it does seem like them, I have just found his parents and brothers names and it is a match to what you found...many thanks.
Could you explain what the "workhouse" is please...karen

Geoffers
10-03-2008, 7:17 AM
Could you explain what the "workhouse" is please...karen

A place where the poor who could not provide for themselves, lived...........A refuge of the last resort. They were set up and goverened by various Poor Laws.

This web-site is the definitive online resource - Workhouses (http://www.workhouses.org.uk/)

mjkisxo
11-03-2008, 9:55 PM
Many thanks Geoffers,...karen