PDA

View Full Version : My Names so far

Delphinus
06-03-2008, 7:46 PM
Hi, I am hoping that somebody may be able to help me, I am looking for my 2x great grandfather John Corkill and all I know about him was he was born on the Isle of Man in about 1856c he married my 2x Great Grandmother Elizabeth Reading in 1878 in Barrow in Furness I know all about him from the marriage to the 1901 census I just need to find his birth, when he was in Barrow he was a Baker and Confectioner and also employed people.

I am also know his father was also called John, Corkill which could have had an H in as well Corkhill.The father was noted on the marriage certificate of John and Elizabeth as a farmer.

I am also finding it very hard to find his wife Elizabeth Reading's birth certificate she was born in about 1855c in Shirley Warwickshire I also know all about her until the 1901 census. Her father Thomas Reading on her marriage certificate to John Corkill he was noted as being a Butcher.

I have looked at all the births of Elizabeth Reading's in Warwickshire but can not find one whoose father is called Thomas.

I have not been able to go to the Isle of Man yet but I have looked at the 1861 census and have found a few John Corkill's whoose father was also John but as I have know idea where on the island they lived I don't know how to start.

Many thanks
Delphinus |help||banghead|

Jan1954
06-03-2008, 9:37 PM
Elizabeth in 1871:

RG10/4245/49

Goodness knows what the street is called but they lived at number 6, in Dalton, Barrow.

Thomas Reading, Head, Wid, 42, Gas Works *** ?, b Warwickshire
William Reading, son, unm, 21, Ironmonger's Assistant, b Birmingham
Elizabeth Reading, dau, unm, 15, Housekeeper, b Solihull
G (could be George?) Reading, son, unm, 14, Labourer, b Solihull

There is a Shirley in Solihull.

Elizabeth in 1861:

RG9/2144/101/13

323 & 326 Bradford Road, Birmingham (St. Martin's)
Warwick Arms, Stabling & Shoeing Forge

Thomas Reading, Head, mar, 33, Licenced Victualler, b Ashorne, Warwickshire
Elizabeth Reading, wife, 39, b Wellington, Warwickshire
Ann, Reading, dau, 13, scholar, b Birmingham
William, Reading, son, 11, scholar, b Birmingham
Thomas, Reading, son, 10, scholar, b Throwle (??), Warwickshire
Joseph Grisold Reading, son, 8, scholar, b Beausell (??),Warwickshire
Elizabeth Reading, dau, 6 , scholar, b Solihull, Warwickshire
Geo Reading, son, 4, b Solihull, Warwickshire
Frederick Reading, 1, b Birmingham, Warwickshire
Also:
Elizabeth Atkins, visitor, unm, 15, Farmer's Daughter, b Oxfordshire (?), Great Burton
Rebecca Grisold, visitor, unm, 24, Farmer's Daughter, b Oxfordshire (?), Great Burton
Emma Perry, servant, unm, 24, Waitress, b Birmingham
Charlotte Dolby, servant, unm, 24, Cook, b Oxfordshire, ***???
Elizabeth Stanton, servant, 16, Nurse, b Oxfordshire, ***???
William Cherry, servant, 19, Boots, b Long ***???, Warwickshire

Someone who is better at reading the script and who has a knowledge of where these places may be might be able to help out.

Jan1954
06-03-2008, 9:45 PM
And just to complete the picture:

Marriages Dec 1846
Adkins Mary Ann Banbury 16 29
Bourton Temperance Banbury 16 29
French Josiah Banbury 16 29
Grisold Elizabeth Banbury 16 29
Hall Sarah Banbury 16 29
Reading Thomas Banbury 16 29
TAYLOR Charles Banbury 16 29
Upton Richard Banbury 16 29

Hope all this helps,

Delphinus
07-03-2008, 8:07 PM
Many thanks Jan 1954 for your help. I will look into what you found out I do know that Shirley is near Solihull in Warwickshire but as yet have been unable to find the correct birth certificate.

Thanks again
Delphinus |cheers|

Jan1954
07-03-2008, 9:55 PM
Have you tried this one?

Births Jun 1855
Reading Elizabeth Solihull 6d 423

KateJones
07-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Look at the census for 1891 - your John Corkill Baker had Samuel Castell - Master Baker, boarding with him. This is my great grandfather! Talk about a coincidence!

Husband is gobsmacked!

Stunned
KJ

Delphinus
08-03-2008, 5:05 PM
Thanks Kate Jones,

Do you happen to know where on the Isle of Man, your great grandfather came from?.
I was wondering if they had known each other before they came to England, if they didn't, I thought it might be somewhere to start.

Many thanks
Delphinus :cool:

KateJones
08-03-2008, 7:27 PM
Hi Delphinus,

I assume they must have known each other before Barrow, I think the Manx families stuck closely together.

Samuel was born in Douglas, and is listed in the census of 1861 in his father's home in Parade Street and 1871 in Bath Place. His father Daniel was a shipwright and was listed twice in 1861 (at home as well as on board ship in Liverpool), and not at all (as far as I can find) in 1871 - I assume he was at sea.

The family also have a long association with Onchan, where Daniel's father (also Daniel) was a farmer, and where his older brother James continued farming at Glencrutchery after their father's death.

In 1881 Samuel is shown as Samuel CASTLE (a common alternative) in Everton, Liverpool.

I'll have a look at the censuses later on, and see if anything strikes me about any Corkill families living close to any of my Castells.

Cheers

KateJones
08-03-2008, 8:12 PM
Delphinus,
is John's father John shown as 'deceased' on the marriage certificate, as that might help to narrow things down?

Oh, and does John show as having any other names or initials?
Cheers

Delphinus
09-03-2008, 8:22 PM
Hi Kate Jones,
The information I have for John Corkill is this,

27.02.1878 married Elizabeth Reading at St George's Church Barrow, he was a 23 year old bachelor, occupation Baker living at 27 Manchester St Barrow, His father John Corkill's occupation was a farmer.

He had three children with Elizabeth;
John Frederick born about 1878 in Barrow, Baptised 08.12.1878 St John's Church Barrow.
Thomas George born 10.09.1880 at 8 Byron St Barrow, Baptised 03.11.1880 at St Matthew's Church Barrow. (my great grandfather)
Elizabeth Grisold born about 1882 in Barrow, Baptised 31.01.1883 at St John's church Barrow.

I have the family on the 1881 census at 8 Byron St Barrow.
the 1891 census at 211 Duke St Barrow
and the 1901 census again at 211 Duke St Barrow.

It would appear that John did not have any other name or at least never used it on official records.

Many Thanks again for your help
Delphinus|wave|

KateJones
09-03-2008, 9:03 PM
Hi Delphinus,
I think I’ve found your John Corkill on the Isle of Man. I’ll PM you the detailed argument and evidence for this, so you can follow it through in your own time.

I now think that your ancestor and mine did not know each other before Samuel was a boarder in John’s home, as they were from different parts of the island.

There are 20 John Corkills shown in the 1861 census as born between 1850 and 1860. I tracked as many of them as I could through the 1861, 71 and 81 censuses (I know, I know, but genealogical problems keep me awake). This becomes very difficult as they leave home, and move around. However, I did eventually find John Corkill, baker’s apprentice in Maughold (almost unreadable, and miss-indexed). I’ve found a family for him, and although the father is a lead miner in 1861, (which put me off the scent), he becomes a farmer between 1871 and 1881. I’ve checked this every way I can think of, but I would advise you to go through it again, to make sure I haven’t made any mistakes. I’ll give you details of my reasoning in the PM.

There are huge numbers of Corkills in the North East of the island in the censuses, and tracking further back than John senior won’t be easy. I suggest that you start to look at wills. On the Manx Lawson site, there are lists of all Manx wills.

www.
lawsons.ca/home.html

Some of these have been transcribed, either by Brian Lawson, owner of the site, or by people who have posted wills that they have transcribed. Unfortunately none of the ones that have been transcribed yet look like they are much use to you. But there are quite a lot of wills for John Corkills listed for the correct period. From my own family history I know that quite lowly people wrote wills on the Isle of Man, so it’s worth looking at these. Don’t forget to look for wills of wives too, women had greater rights on the Island than in England, and many made wills – it was the will of a wife that knocked down a big brick wall in my family history. There is a good chance that a farmer would write a will. This is likely to contain bequests to children, who those children are, and where they live. It may also contain bequests to grandchildren, or other relatives, even those abroad. But – there are considerable numbers of wills, so unless you want to pay for a researcher to do it, you probably need to make a trip to the Island yourself.

Cheers
KJ

manxy1
24-05-2008, 9:16 AM
I don't know if you were successful, but I have a John Corkill c1856 married to Mary Wade bapt. 29/11/1857 Jurby, Isle of Man They were married on 07/09/1885 and had 3 children to my knowledge; John James b.1880 Andreas, Isle of Man, Mary Ann b.1886 Andreas, Isle of Man, Jessie b.1892 Douglas, Isle of Man