PDA

View Full Version : Workhouse Query.

busyglen
05-03-2008, 2:47 PM
A year or so ago, I found a record relating to my gt. gt. grandfather John JARVIS, in the records of Winslow Workhouse Bucks. It didn't really tell me much at the time, and I have now found that the records have been updated somewhat. The information is basically the same, but I wonder if anyone could clarify something for me. The record states:

Record Detail

ID Name Age
1475 John Jarvis 11

Location BRO. Ref Date
Dunton G6/1/1 Aug. 1835

Notes:
Illegitimate - no allowance

Now, Dunton is a short distance from Winslow but I don't think that Winslow comes, under Dunton. Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong.

So.....what does this record mean? Did young John go to ask for money and was not given an allowance? Or was it just stating that as he was illegitimate he wasn't getting any allowance from the father? As the record shows Dunton on the record....does that mean that he wasn't in the Workhouse, but had just applied for some money and was living in Dunton?

I have checked previously to see if mother Ann Jarvis was in the workhouse on the 1841 Census, but she wasn't...possibly she was elsewhere and young John was trying to help out? So many queries, but I hoped that someone would be able to explain the notes on this record, in case it gives more clues, than I am able to read into it.

Glenys

Alan Welsford
05-03-2008, 3:54 PM
Now, Dunton is a short distance from Winslow but I don't think that Winslow comes, under Dunton. Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Glenys,

According to the excellent

workhouses.org.uk

site, Dunton was part of the Winslow Poor Law Union after 1834.

The relevant part is extracted here....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
After 1834

Winslow Poor Law Union was formed on 9th June 1835. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 18 in number, representing its 17 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):

County of Buckingham: Drayton Parslow, Dunton, East Claydon, Grandborough [Granborough], Great Horwood, Hogston or Hoggeston, Hogshaw-cum-Fulbrook, Little Horwood, Mursley with Saldin, Nash, North Marston, Shenley Brook End, Stewkley, Swanbourne, Tattenhoe, Whaddon, Winslow-cum-Shipton (2).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan

Peter Goodey
05-03-2008, 4:47 PM
I don't think that Winslow comes, under Dunton. Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Don't forget that when civil registration came in, the registration districts were simply based on the existing poor law unions. So, if in doubt about which poor law union a parish was in, simply look up the 19th century registration district. ;)

So.....what does this record mean?

You've got me there. I don't think I'd like to hazard a guess without seeing it in context. Presumably G6/1/1 is a category in the BRO catalogue. But what its title? What does it include?

busyglen
05-03-2008, 6:00 PM
Glenys,

---------------------------------------------------------------------
After 1834

Winslow Poor Law Union was formed on 9th June 1835. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 18 in number, representing its 17 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):

County of Buckingham: Drayton Parslow, Dunton, East Claydon, Grandborough [Granborough], Great Horwood, Hogston or Hoggeston, Hogshaw-cum-Fulbrook, Little Horwood, Mursley with Saldin, Nash, North Marston, Shenley Brook End, Stewkley, Swanbourne, Tattenhoe, Whaddon, Winslow-cum-Shipton (2).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan

Thanks Alan.....since posting the message, I have been doing some more searching and found the above as well. The record I found related to August 1835 of the same year that the Winslow Poor Union was formed, so it's possible that John tried to obtain some money from the Union, although I wouldn't have thought that possible being a minor.

Thanks for the trouble you have taken...at least it's answered some of my questions about Dunton/Winslow. :)

Glenys

busyglen
05-03-2008, 6:07 PM
Thanks for the tip Peter. ;)

Showing my ignorance...what would BRO stand for? Buckingham Register Office?? That's the only thing I can think of. **Just found a post I made ages ago, whereby the above answered my query***
Sorry!

When I originally found this bit of information a year or so ago, I pretty sure it didn't have a reference number quoted, so it looks like it has been categorised since, within the Winslow records.

Glenys

AnnB
05-03-2008, 6:37 PM
Hello Glenys

Did you find the ref on the Buckinghamshire Family History Society web site? If you go to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_winslow it will take you to a search thingy where, if you put in Jarvis, you will eventually get to the info you have. I think BRO is Buckinghamshire Record Office (now the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/index.jsp?contentid=-746638797), so they may be able to give you some help if you drop them an e-mail.

Best wishes
Ann

busyglen
05-03-2008, 6:53 PM
Hello Glenys

Did you find the ref on the Buckinghamshire Family History Society web site? If you go to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_winslow it will take you to a search thingy where, if you put in Jarvis, you will eventually get to the info you have. I think BRO is Buckinghamshire Record Office (now the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/index.jsp?contentid=-746638797), so they may be able to give you some help if you drop them an e-mail.

Best wishes
Ann

Yes Ann...thank you. I did find the ref for the Bucks. FHS, and that is where I found the updated record of John Jarvis on the Winslow Workhouse records.

I have also found the BRO and will drop them a line tomorrow, I've run out of time now.

Thanks for your help! |hug|

Glenys

busyglen
06-03-2008, 1:39 PM
Well guys & gals, I just don't know how to say this, but I have just had a major breakthrough, thanks to my posting, replies and trains of thought!!

Because I recognised one of the replies as being made before (see `old posts' thread) I went back and searched for Winslow, which led me back to a reference of Maria Cuff. To cut a long story short, Ann Jarvis had John, illegitimately as we know, she went on to marry Job Moore, and then Thomas Cuff. In 1851 I found John, wife Emma and daughter Emma, with a sis-law called Maria Cuff in London where John was a Policeman. At a later date, Jeeb kindly picked up the fact that Maria could be a step-sister and found not only Thomas & Ann's marriage, but found her marriage before to Job Moore which gave her nee name of Jarvis. So....I had a lead, but couldn't find one in Bucks. where she would have been in 1841. (Or so I thought) Thanks to Bo-Peep's competition prize voucher (which I won by default) I did a search for Maria Cuff on 1841 as she would have been a young child then, and YES!!!! I found her with Mum Ann, and Thomas Cuff in London. No wonder I couldn't find her in Bucks. So my searches of the 1841 disks were to no avail, and she wasn't in Winslow on 1851.

So....John was born in Dunton in 1823, he went for assistance to Winslow Workhouse in 1835, and married Emma in Buckingham, in 1842, when he was a Soldier and they had a child Alfred Strong Jarvis in 1846 in Bucks. Mother Ann, married Job Moore in Feb 1837, he died 1838, and she then married Thomas Cuff in 1839. He then falls over a year later I think, and Ann I believe dies shortly afterwards.....which is why Maria ends up with half brother John and family in the 1851.

I also did a search for Maria on the 1861 Census....there was only one, and she was a Cook in Acomb Hall, Yorkshire. She was 22 and unmarried.

So new readers join here.....a lot of mysteries solved by asking questions, and remembering to go back and check on old posts.

Well done everyone for your help and support....it's been really appreciated!|hug|

Now I've just got to find where Ann was born...I know her father was Richard so it should be easy shouldn't it? ;)

Glenys

AnnB
06-03-2008, 2:02 PM
That's great Glenys........now if you could just solve the mystery of the Jones's ;)

Best wishes
Ann

busyglen
06-03-2008, 2:42 PM
That's great Glenys........now if you could just solve the mystery of the Jones's ;)

Best wishes
Ann

Don't go there Ann!! I get too stressed out with them! |scold|

Glenys

Davran
06-03-2008, 4:41 PM
Well done, Glenys. How very satisfying. Isn't it great when you fill in a patch of jigsaw like that?

busyglen
06-03-2008, 6:07 PM
Well done, Glenys. How very satisfying. Isn't it great when you fill in a patch of jigsaw like that?

Yes it is, although I couldn't have done it without a lot of help from the Forum! I think one is liable to get stuck in a rut, thinking one way, whereas a new face comes in with different ideas and knowledge. You can't beat this formula can you?

I've been trying to find John in the 1841 this afternoon, but no luck so far. Quite a few with the same name, but as he was in the Army then, he could have been anywhere. I don't even know the regiment, but never mind. I am happy with what I have for the moment, and am going to see if the BRO had any more info on the Winslow/Poor Union payouts or records.

It does help that there are so many more records available since I first started, as then I thought it would take years....er what am I saying...it has taken years!! :D

Glenys

Jan1954
06-03-2008, 7:11 PM
Excellent news, Glenys. I'm chuffed to little mintballs for you. |jumphappy

Always said that this was a great forum and this is a perfect example.

Treat yourself to a few bevvies |5cups|and a long hot relax in the bath http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee187/Jan_07/bath.gif

Actually, thinking about it, perhaps the other way round... :o

busyglen
07-03-2008, 9:53 AM
The bevvies would be ok, but the bath would be a problem....we only have a shower! |biggrin|

Glenys