PDA

View Full Version : Look Up - New York Passenger Lists

KateJones
03-03-2008, 6:29 PM
I'm once again trying to dig out a bit of a mystery about someone who disappears off the radar after 1810. James Castle (they were very lax about how they spelled the name - including Casteel and Castril), was born in 1788 then is mentioned in his mother's will in 1810. I haven't been able to find anything further about him, I did wonder if he headed off to America, as other members of the family did later. There is a tantalising record of a James Castle born at about the right time in "A*******y", but I don't want to get involved with getting a further subscription, especially as I think it's very unlikely to be my Manxman - it's hardly an uncommon name.

Is there any kind soul out there who could look up: James Castle, born 1786 +/- 2 years? in the New York Passenger lists. I haven't stipulated Isle of Man, as in my experience so far, no-one in the US seemed to know where it was. I've seen it listed in American Censuses as England and Scotland (it is of course neither - it's outside the UK, and not part of the EU).
Cheers

Geoffers
03-03-2008, 8:21 PM
The bad news about outward passenger lists prior to 1890 is here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=106)

Unless some Manx archive has better records.

suedent
03-03-2008, 9:47 PM
It's not a lot of help but here is the entry from the manifest

James Castle Male 64 Ag Lab England
Arrival Date: 28 Oct 1850
Port of Departure: London, England
Ship Name: Ocean Queen
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_94
List Number: 1230

KateJones
03-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Cheers, Thanks for your help,
It is as I expected - it could be anyone, and probably is, but I'll keep a note of it, in case I manage to dig something else out about him at some stage and it fits together.
I do sometimes wonder if some of these ancestors and their relatives actually went to some trouble to make themselves difficult to find - but having spent several hours re-attacking the dead ends, I would think that way, wouldn't I.
Regard