PDA

View Full Version : George Augustus Middleton 1791 -1848

ginny stokes
14-12-2004, 2:35 AM
Hi there. My ggg grandfather was born in Westminster, London on 31 August 1791. His name was George Augustus Middleton. After graduating from Cambridge University he was ordained as a priest and sent to Sydney Australia in 1819 as one of the early colonial chaplains. Can anyone find a baptism for him possibly at Westminster Abbey? It is thought by his many descendants that he may have been an illegitimate son of King George 111 or 1V. Is there anyway of investigating this claim? His Cambridge University profile states that his father was Charles Middleton. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Ginny Stokes.

Trish
14-12-2004, 4:54 AM
Hi there. My ggg grandfather was born in Westminster, London on 31 August 1791. His name was George Augustus Middleton. After graduating from Cambridge University he was ordained as a priest and sent to Sydney Australia in 1819 as one of the early colonial chaplains. Can anyone find a baptism for him possibly at Westminster Abbey? It is thought by his many descendants that he may have been an illegitimate son of King George 111 or 1V. Is there anyway of investigating this claim? His Cambridge University profile states that his father was Charles Middleton. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Ginny Stokes.Ginny,

I don't think this helps you much but the following baptism is from Pallot's Baptism Index for England: 1780 - 1837:

Name: Geo Middleton
Baptism Date: 1791
Parents: Geo, Mary
Parish: Christchurch
County: Newgate, London

This is all the information contained on the original image, unfortunately.

And you've probably already seen this:

Old Westminsters, Up to 1927: The Record of Old Westminsters 1927 Vol. 2: The Record of Old Westminsters: M

Middleton, George Augustus, son of Charles Middleton of Middlesex ; b. 31 Aug. 1791 ; in school list 1803 ; B.B. 1803-9 ; St. John's Coll. Camb. (adm. pensr. March 1809) ; ordained 1819; m. twice ; d. at Morpeth, New South Wales, 1848.

Sorry, but that's about all I can dig up...

Trish

ginny stokes
16-12-2004, 2:41 AM
Trish thanks for the info re George Augustus Middleton. Thanks Ginny.