PDA

View Full Version : Graves of Lt Thetford

worrals
03-03-2008, 3:41 PM
Hello,
I am looking for any descendants of James Graves and Sarah Tharby (nee Meeks) They married 23 July 1843 at Lt Thetford. James was born at Ely but I can't find Sarahs baptism according to the census she came from Wilburton but I haven't had any luck tracking her down.|banghead|
James and Sarah had moved to Stretham by 1881.

Elley
03-03-2008, 3:54 PM
The Cambridgeshire FHS site has an online Baptism index. There is a Sarah Meeks listed and it is indicated that there is more information on the Parish Record.

Regards,

Elley

worrals
03-03-2008, 4:06 PM
Hi Elley,
Thanks but this is not my Sarah as she had just married her first husband William Tharby on 4 mar 1833.
But looking on the baptism index the Sarah baptised in Manea in 1811 looks promising. Thanks.

Elley
03-03-2008, 4:13 PM
I realised that there was only 10 years between the marriage of James and Sarah. Being as it is indicated that there is more information on the original Parish Record it may be worth checking just in case. Many of us have late Baptisms in our trees, sometimes even adults.

Elley

worrals
03-03-2008, 4:57 PM
Hi Elley,
I have checked Wilburton parish records which I have at home but the Sarah Meeks baptised on 28 April 1833 is listed as Sarah Ann Gotobed alias Meeks Dau of John and Sarah.
But Sarah married William Tharby on 4 Mar 1833.
Having checked the baptism index I have already researched the Sarahs born in Gamlingay and Chesterton and ruled them out. But Sarah baptised in 1811 in Manea does look more promising. I have just ordered the parish records from CFHS:D
The Sarah baptised in Manea is not on the IGI as the others were so thats why I'm hopeful!

davidcarca
05-03-2008, 4:59 PM
Sarah Meeks was baptised on 19 May 1811 at Manea, daughter of William and Susannah (BVRI). The age is fairly close to the 42 which she claimed in 1851, and not far from the 48 in 1861, but Wilburton is 10 miles from Manea

What was the name of her father from her marriage certificate? Without that it will be difficult to prove conclusively which Sarah Meeks is her.

Who were the witnesses at her two marriages?

David

worrals
05-03-2008, 5:28 PM
Hi David,
Thanks for the information.
On her marriage entry in Lt Thetford no parent is listed. The witnesses were William and Mary Ann graves.
Sarah married for the first time to William Tharby 4 Mar 1833 at Witchford and the witnesses were Sophia Sizer and William Haylock.
The Sarah baptised in Manea is the only one listed on the baptism index that I havent looked in to and I have researched the others thoroughly to rule them out.
There are several Meeks in Wilburton maybe she moved there as a young child.
Worrals

davidcarca
05-03-2008, 8:29 PM
Sarah was the only Meeks baptised in Manea. There's a William Meeks who married Susannah Clay in nearby Sutton in 1805. They seem to have moved to Chesterton Cambs c1817 as they appear there in 1851 (and 1841), both born Sutton, but oddly there are no baptisms on the Baptism Index 1810-37 in Chesterton. But there is a Sarah Meeks aged 20 buried in Chesterton in 1831. It needs more research but I don't think the Sarah baptised in Manea is the Sarah who married in 1833.

The lack of a named father in the 1843 marriage makes me wonder if she could have been illegitimate

David

worrals
05-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi David,
Thanks for the information although it seems my hopes are dashed!
Thinking about it, it is quite likely she was illegitimate.
Oh well, back to the drawing board|banghead|
Worrals