PDA

View Full Version : ATS WW2

elizabethjones1
02-03-2008, 5:49 PM
Does anyone know any on-line resourses for the ATS 1939/1945 Also with reference to the posting 'Old Army Photo's' I have a picture of my Mum taken at Laindon Militia Camp a mixed group group on a 'Radar Course' May 1944.Would love to know who some of the others were in the photo it would be such a good idea for a web-site,Old photo's re-united maybe!!
I think Laidon is near Basildon Essex does anyone have any memories of the camp?Eliza.:confused::confused:

plotland
07-12-2011, 4:49 PM
Hello Elizabeth,

I've just found your posting during a general search for Laindon Militia Camp. My late mother Jessica Humphrey (nee Walker) was stationed at Laindon camp around this time, she was in the ATS and attached to the AA training division. I have recently found a diary that she used in 1944; in it, she mentions a few activities and reports on some air raid activity. I have two photographs taken whilst she was stationed there, one is of a party that was being held in a large hall, I assume that it was the NAFFI building, the picture shows service personnel in a group shot; I believe that the occasion was New Year Eve 1943/44. The other photograph shows the ATS Company in an official group.
I would be happy to email you copies of the photos.
Although the camp was called Laindon it is actually in Langdon Hills which to the south of Laindon.

Kindest regards

Colin Humphrey
Langdon Hills
Basildon
(Just a couple of miles away from the camp)

IsabelleH
27-04-2017, 1:25 PM
Hello Elizabeth & Colin

It is a while since you posted but i have only just found your posts.

My Mum (still alive at 96) was posted to Laindon & served on radar in ATS. I too have photos - from May 1943.

Mum served in Kent & later in Belgium. At that time she was known as "Mac" - Honorah McManus & my late father was also in radar.

Mum is the pretty one in the middle !

Isabelle

Hello Elizabeth,

I've just found your posting during a general search for Laindon Militia Camp. My late mother Jessica Humphrey (nee Walker) was stationed at Laindon camp around this time, she was in the ATS and attached to the AA training division. I have recently found a diary that she used in 1944; in it, she mentions a few activities and reports on some air raid activity. I have two photographs taken whilst she was stationed there, one is of a party that was being held in a large hall, I assume that it was the NAFFI building, the picture shows service personnel in a group shot; I believe that the occasion was New Year Eve 1943/44. The other photograph shows the ATS Company in an official group.
I would be happy to email you copies of the photos.
Although the camp was called Laindon it is actually in Langdon Hills which to the south of Laindon.

Kindest regards

Colin Humphrey
Langdon Hills
Basildon
(Just a couple of miles away from the camp)

https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/5d95a454-e2c5-4a44-a548-af6850e08281.jpeg