PDA

View Full Version : Hair Weaver?

blopeman64
02-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a young female ancestor in Acton, nr Sudbury, Suffolk who was a hair weaver. Horse hair? or Human hair? and does anyone have any ideas for what purpose?

Carole

ChrisKelly
02-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I think it's safe to assume it is horse hair, presumably for upholstery but maybe there were other uses. The occupation is listed here (http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/search/lists/labels/index_h.html) just below horse boiler! (Well someone had to do it.)
:)

suedent
02-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I have a young female ancestor in Acton, nr Sudbury, Suffolk who was a hair weaver. Horse hair? or Human hair? and does anyone have any ideas for what purpose?

Carole

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Victorians would sometimes wear brooches made of woven human hair, generally the hair of a loved one. Perhaps this is what the occupation related to.

Jan1954
02-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Victorians would sometimes wear brooches made of woven human hair, generally the hair of a loved one. Perhaps this is what the occupation related to.

Mourning brooches. I have a couple :eek:

Peter Goodey
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Hair weaver is used in two senses -

1. in weaving hair cloth. Hair cloth has a warp of cotton or linen and a weft of hair (usually horse hair)

2. in wig making.

The context may clarify what is meant.

margarita
02-03-2008, 2:50 PM
According to this Index of Old Occupations

http://tinyurl.com/3asl45

Hairweaver / Hairman = Weaver of horsehair cloth

Maggie

blopeman64
02-03-2008, 3:23 PM
Thank you all.
I think the horse hair weaving for its various uses is more likely since these families were largely aglabs and it sounds as though the weaving of hair for memorial jewellery is rather delicate and artistic. This young woman and her sister came to London in the late 1890s and went into service so I'm supposing that there wasn't much opportunity for young women in those rural areas.

Carole