PDA

View Full Version : NEW PLACE, CATTON

judipete
01-03-2008, 10:29 PM
For some years I have been searching to find the county for an address in the ship's register "Navarino" of 48 New Place Catton in 1837. On the same page of the ship's register is another family with the address 59 Canning Place Catton. New Place Catton was the address against the names of my GG grandparents James QUINN and Elizabeth GOODMAN. We know that James Quinn came from Newry in Ireland. They were 19 years old and married when arriving in Adelaide South Australia at the end of 1837. Their marriage is not recorded in the 1837 GRO record. Some time back I enquired of the address via the Norfolk Registry Office who responded that they could not find the address there. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan1954
01-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Could this be the place?

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Catton.htm

Don't forget to click on the links on the sidebar on the left for photographs and manuscripts etc.

judipete
02-03-2008, 1:33 AM
Thank you. Yes the Catton in the ship's register could be the Catton in Northumberland but the real question is whether there was an address in Catton Northumberland called New Place and Canning Place in 1837. Would anyone have access to addresses in Catton in Allendale Northumberland in the 1841 census that might list such an address? Thanks again for responding to my question.
Judith

emjay
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Catton in Northumberland is too small to have streets with the numbers you have given.

I think there must be a mistake in the reading of the place name. Can I suggest you try looking for "Calton" instead?

I think your best bet is to check Glasgow - there is an area called Calton parts of which were demolished many years ago, and there was also a Canning Street and Canning Place in the Calton area.

Geoffers
02-03-2008, 1:53 PM
Could it be Catton in Norfolk?

Searching the 1841 census there are addresses - New Place in

Alresford, Hants
West Derby, Lancs
East Grinstead, Sussex
Horncastle, Lincs
Ipswich, Sfk
Kidderminster, Worcs
Peterborough, Northants
Romford, Essex
Rye, Sussex
South Molton, Devon
Thakenham, Sussex
Tiverton, Devon
Uckfield, Sussex
Worthing, Sussex
Channel Islands

1861 census address search shows CANNING PLACE at the following locations;

Camberwell
Kensington
Leicester
Liverpool
Manchester
West Derby

judipete
02-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Thank you so much for your responses regarding the address 48 New Place. This is the information I have been wanting for some years and I think the answer lies in identifying the writing in the register as Calton which it could well be. You have also identified the counties where there is a "New Place" so I can follow these up. Many thanks
Judith

judipete
03-03-2008, 8:12 PM
Thank you again. After many years of searching, I have found a GOODMAN family with similar christian names and the right ages living at New Street in Calton (Glasgow) on 1841 Census. The parents were born in Ireland, which all fits with the family history. I have learned to keep an open mind about these searches, but I am fairly convinced that this is the family of my GG Grandmother. So thank you for helping to solve this puzzle.
Judith