PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Shipping info Quebec 1880 Lost Norwegian

kerrie
01-03-2008, 6:41 AM
My Great Grandfather left Norway in 1880 for Canada aboard "Golden Horn" as a sailor he was contracted to this ship until April 1880 where I lose him. The ship was in port in Trois Riviers but by the time April rolled around it was enroute to England. The next time he surfaces is in Australia in 1886 where he was married and remained until his death in 1905. He never immigrated to Canada and he does not appear on the 1880 census for USA, 1881 census for Canada nor 1881 census for England and he never returned to Norway either.

What I need help in looking for is newpaper information regarding crew movements in Quebec so that I can see where I look for him next. It is a big gap from 1880 to 1886 and a long distance from Canada to Australia. Although I do feel that he perhaps went back to England and then on to Australia from there.

The Golden Horn was a ship that sailed from Norway to Australia before doing the England Canada route and it was owned by a Norwegian before being sold to Houlders.

If any one can give me some idea as to how I find newspaper information regarding crew movements would be more than greatly apprecited and if someone could also advise who I could get to look for them for me as I am in Australia would also be more than greatly apprecited. I would like to thank you all very much for your time and please accept my apologies for the long post but I thought I had to provide as much information as possible. His name was Johan Marinius Hansen Meyer he was born 29 June 1860 in Moss Norway to Hans Christensen Meyer and Ellen Marie Jensdatter. He had cousins living in both Yorkshire and Lincolnshire on the 1881 census but he is not there.

Regards

Kerrie Myers
Sydney Australia

Geoffers
01-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I can't help directly - however - many 19th century British Merchant Seamen records have been transferred to the Maritime History Archive at the Memorial University St John's, Newfoundland, Canada A1C 5S7.
See their web-site (http://www.mun.ca/mha/) - perhaps they have records for seamen from other countries too?

Do Norwegian Archives (http://www.arkivverket.no/english/about.html) hold any helpful records, similar to the Board of Trade (BT) records at The National Archives?

kerrie
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
not that I am aware of Geoffers. It was the Norwegian archives that I got the information from in the first place about him being in Canada and he obviously signed on with another ship in either Canada or England and this is what I am trying to establish.

Once they signed off with the Norwegian ship there was no further record of him. Although he spoke English probably very broken I am not sure he would have been classed as English or Canadian for that matter. I just don';t know but thanks for replying to me.

Regards

Kerrie

Geoffers
01-03-2008, 3:16 PM
I think your best hope then may be the Memorial University of Newfoundland, link previously given. They do charge for research.

kerrie
02-03-2008, 6:10 AM
Many Thanks Geoffers