PDA

View Full Version : C company The Buffs

sandiep
29-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about

"C" Company 29th Training Reserve Battalion The Buffs please

On a birth cert I have in 1916 this is occupation given also says father was a Corporal and has in brackets (a photoographer journeyman)

This man Richard Walter Howe my Gran said in a letter died in 1918 but I have looked at all BDM and Military deaths for time and can find nothing I wondered if I could find anything out about the regiment I might be able to find some info............he was Grans 1st husband and I know she loved him dearly and so I am sure of his death and I know it was Flu not a war death...........its a puzzle I have looked a few years either side in case the date was wrong because she had lost twins in 1916.

sorry to waffle!!

sandie

Geoffers
01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
"C" Company 29th Training Reserve Battalion

I cannot find reference to this battalion and the Buffs did not have 29 battalions in WW1. Could it be the 2/5th? - Weald of Kent battalion which stayed in England in the War.

The Buffs regimental museum (http://www.canterbury.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=601) may have some records of use

I could not find a death under the name HOW or HOWE using the details you provided either in the GRO index, the Army (other Ranks) deaths or in the Soldiers Died in the Great War Database.

When your gran remarried was it using the surname HOW(E)?

keith9351
01-03-2008, 3:55 PM
From http://www.1914-1918.net/buffs.htm

9th (Reserve) Battalion:

Formed in Dover in October 1914 as a Service Battalion of K4 and attached to 95th Brigade, original 32nd Division.

April 1915 : became a Reserve battalion.

September 1916 : became 29th Battalion of 7th Reserve Brigade of Training Reserve and lost connection with regiment

Keith

sandiep
01-03-2008, 4:52 PM
Thank you for info

Geoffers when Gran re married it was as Howe the family started out years ago as How but had been and still are Howe...............I am a bit at a loss to know where to look next I have his birth and marriage but just cant find his Death.

Keith
that does sound a possible doesnt it ........the info I gave was taken from a birth cert in Dec 1916 for his twins and was given by his sister,

could I please ask where I might find this regiment might have been c 1918 , would a training reserve battalion have been used overseas?

sandie

keith9351
02-03-2008, 3:45 PM
Hi Sandie

It looks like the 9th (Reserve) Bn, the Buffs became the 29th Training Reserve Battalion
on 1 September 1916, based in Dover and losing there connection with the Buffs.

In May 1917 they then became the 255th Graduated Battalion.

The web site I gave you has a forum of very knowledgeable people, hopefully they will be able to expand on this.

Keith

sandiep
02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
thanks Keith................have joined forum and posted thanks for advice and info

sandie

v.wells
03-03-2008, 3:35 AM
http://www.gibraltargenealogy.com/ - you may be able to track thru here. And there is this one www.maltafamilyhistory.com

sandiep
04-03-2008, 10:05 PM
thanks V cant see anything but interesting sites

sandie

v.wells
04-03-2008, 10:09 PM
And I just remembered this one www.regiments.org. - I just tried it though and site is temp down.