PDA

View Full Version : Publishing with FrontPage 2003

uksearch
29-02-2008, 6:58 PM
Oh dear, it's that time again when I ask to pick you pick your brains|banghead||banghead||banghead|. In other words, I'm on the beg AGAIN.

Since May last year I have quite happily been using FrontPage 2003. I have been updating and republishing the site several time a week with no problem. I have been adding or correcting material to pages, saving it, and then publishing. All quite painless really. The last time I successfully published was 20th Feb.

Last night (and tonight) this was not the case. I have not knowingly change any settings. When I click on publish, instead of the normal requirement to confirm that I want to publish appearing, I get an instruction to click "Remote Website Properties..." to set up a remote website.

When I click on properties, the FrontPage or SharePoint Services is checked. When I press ok I get an error message listing 4 possible faults.

I have it in my mind that it should be the FTP option that should be used.

It's always remembered my log me in previously. Any ideas before I launch the 'puter through the window????

UK

Neil Wilson
29-02-2008, 7:42 PM
Hi UK
Have you tried it today to see whether it is the same? Sometime (well mostly) the IT techs always says turn it off, wait a while and then turn it back on.

Can't help you with publishing, I never used it on FP, I either use a paid FTP program or the free downloaded one with my Firefox browser.

uksearch
29-02-2008, 7:45 PM
Yes Neil, I tried to publish just before I posted the thread.

UK

Neil Wilson
29-02-2008, 8:01 PM
I have had a play with mine and it comes up with 'Publish Destination' first where I entered the ftp address of the site, then it asks me for my username and password. I can't replicate your problem. Sorry.

uksearch
29-02-2008, 8:42 PM
I can send you a screen shot via email, if it may assist?

UK

Neil Wilson
29-02-2008, 9:09 PM
Go on, I will have a look.

Mutley
29-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Uk, this is probably nothing to do with your problem but all day I have been talking to people that have found they can suddenly do something they could not before or cannot do something they have always managed OK without knowingly changing any settings.

One could not access a program she has been using for years, she phoned the help line and finally to cut a long story short her password had reverted back to one used 2 years ago. Some others had password problems.

Another had a news program emailed to him, he cancelled it last year and used it as his home page instead, suddenly this week the emails are appearing again.

I have never been able to stay logged on to BG, for the first time ever, I now can without being chucked out after half an hour!

There are all sorts of other strange happenings all connected with the internet. We have had massive gales and thunderstorms, you had an earthquake. Are there superior forces at work here, does anyone else have unusual problems :confused:

busyglen
01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
UK, I use FP and am in the process of building a new website. As you have a problem, I decided to test it out using my old site (on Freepages RW) which is under Genealogy. My new site will be under the History section. Bearing in mind that I haven't as yet published anything under that section, I decided to just update the date on my current .index page to see if everything was working ok. I published to the Genealogy site, but for some reason, it kept showing under the History section, yet I haven't done anything yet. All of my files for the Genealogy site don't appear to be there either......? So there is definately something going on somewhere.....even if you are publishing elsewhere.

There is probably a simple explanation, and I am now going to see if I can sort it out.

Hope you manage to sort your problem out as well! :confused:

Glenys

busyglen
01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Forget what I said UK.....I've solved the problem....it was my error as usual!!
So FP is still working for me at the moment!

Fingers crossed that you can sort your problem out.

Glenys

Barbara Wilkinson
01-03-2008, 12:28 PM
all day I have been talking to people that have found they can suddenly do something they could not before or cannot do something they have always managed OK without knowingly changing any settings.
We had problems at work (electronic registration - I teach in a secondary school) - the software did not expect 29 February ...!!! Why not, we asked, when it was obviously a leap year - never thought about it was the reply!! Not saying this has anything to do with any of your problems - but - you never know ....!! :confused:

uksearch
01-03-2008, 4:37 PM
We had problems at work (electronic registration - I teach in a secondary school) - the software did not expect 29 February ...!!! Why not, we asked, when it was obviously a leap year - never thought about it was the reply!! Not saying this has anything to do with any of your problems - but - you never know ....!! :confused:

Sadly my problem started on the 28th...so that is not the problem...and I still can't publish. Oh well must get back to work.

Thanks to all posters for ALL your comments.

UK

uksearch
03-03-2008, 5:17 PM
I have just managed to grab a few spare moments to get in touch with 1and1 and have been told that they can no longer support FrontPage Extensions (as from 26th Feb)...hence why I can't republish my site. The man who I spoke to was very difficult to understand so I have requested the instructions via email. Apparently. I should already have received notification of these changes.

UK

Peter_uk_can
03-03-2008, 7:14 PM
I use Front Page to create my pages but publish via an FTP program and have had no problems. Some time since I tried via Front Page but could never get it to work

I use CORE FTP.. it is a freebie download and I have used it for ages.

Neil Wilson
03-03-2008, 7:16 PM
I have just managed to grab a few spare moments to get in touch with 1and1 and have been told that they can no longer support FrontPage Extensions (as from 26th Feb)...hence why I can't republish my site. The man who I spoke to was very difficult to understand so I have requested the instructions via email. Apparently. I should already have received notification of these changes.

UKIt looks like you will have to move your site to another provider. I will PM you with a company that does support FP extensions.

uksearch
03-03-2008, 7:40 PM
Thanks for that information Neil...I will certainly look at that alternative. Apparently I can upload my site via an FTP program. I've pasted the relevant details. Typical of this firm the links aren't live.

UK

To deactivate Frotpage extension in the 1and1 Control Panel, go to the
Domain Overview by clickin Domain, click the arrow next to Destination,
click Edit Frontpage settings. Click Deactivate on Frontpage server
settings. It will take fifteen minutes in our system to deactivate
FrontPage extensions.

Please follow the instructions on the link below on how to uplaod your
files using a FTP client.

I don't have an FTP Program, how can I get my web site onto the
Internet?
http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/website_building/website_publishing/ftp_file_
transfer_protocol/13.html

What is the required information for FTP connection?
http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/website_building/website_publishing/ftp_file_
transfer_protocol/4.html

uksearch
20-04-2008, 6:46 PM
Well for reasons that I won't go into, this problem was put on the back burner. The site was/is already up and running so I was in no great rush. Now the time has arrived when I would like to publish all the updates. I've re-read all the various bits and pieces and (I think) managed to get my head around the information. I have just made a back up copy of all the new site files.The problem with the links on the previous message was that they were on two lines. Once I pasted them into the address bar, they worked fine.

So okay, one final question (and possibly only 1and1 users will know the answer). Do I HAVE TO deactivate the Frontpage extensions before switching to an FTP?

UK

Neil Wilson
20-04-2008, 7:58 PM
Well for reasons that I won't go into, this problem was put on the back burner. The site was/is already up and running so I was in no great rush. Now the time has arrived when I would like to publish all the updates. I've re-read all the various bits and pieces and (I think) managed to get my head around the information. I have just made a back up copy of all the new site files.The problem with the links on the previous message was that they were on two lines. Once I pasted them into the address bar, they worked fine.

So okay, one final question (and possibly only 1and1 users will know the answer). Do I HAVE TO deactivate the Frontpage extensions before switching to an FTP?

UK
Hi UK
I am thinking that if you have deactivated once you shouldn't have to do it again.
Are you using Explorer instead of a FTP or are you using FrontPage?

uksearch
20-04-2008, 8:03 PM
Hi UK
I am thinking that if you have deactivated once you shouldn't have to do it again.
Are you using Explorer instead of a FTP or are you using FrontPage?

Neil,

I haven't changed anything yet, the Frontpage extensions are still, there although obviously I am unable to update anything.

UK

Neil Wilson
20-04-2008, 8:57 PM
Let us know what happens.

Have you thought about putting the new data in to another folder on the site to test it out first? If it works OK, upload to the correct location and delete the test folder. I did this for one of my sites, running a test along side the live site, just have to remember which is which when it comes to the deletion of files.

uksearch
21-04-2008, 4:11 PM
Let us know what happens.

Have you thought about putting the new data in to another folder on the site to test it out first? SNIP.

I'm not sure that I would know how to do, that as I'm fairly IT illiterate. I’ll switch to FTP when I muster the courage. I’ve just place an ad in a magazine, so I want to see if I get any response before I switch, knowing me I’ll probably make a pig’s ear of it.

UK

Neil Wilson
21-04-2008, 4:38 PM
I'm not sure that I would know how to do, that as I'm fairly IT illiterate. I’ll switch to FTP when I muster the courage. I’ve just place an ad in a magazine, so I want to see if I get any response before I switch, knowing me I’ll probably make a pig’s ear of it.

UK
Its a bit hard explaining how you make a new folder without knowing which software you are using to upload the files. Normally I right click on the upload side of the screen and select 'Create Directory' and then name it Test or whatever I need it to be. I then click on that and upload to that location.

uksearch
21-04-2008, 8:29 PM
I've been advised (by 1AND1)to to use IE although some others have advised me to use something else. When you say putting the data in an other folder, is that another way of creating a new file or I am being thick?

UK

Neil Wilson
22-04-2008, 6:08 PM
I've been advised (by 1AND1)to to use IE although some others have advised me to use something else. When you say putting the data in an other folder, is that another way of creating a new file or I am being thick?

UKA folder is another name for a directory.
i.e. your documents folder on your PC, you might have a picture folder and a media one as well. Is that explained to you better than I did before? Hope so, as I get confused by the difference names given to the same thing.

uksearch
22-04-2008, 8:21 PM
Yes Neil,

I think that I now understand. It wasn’t you explanation, but as I said, me being thick when it come to IT:o.

Cheers,

UK

PS I have already saved it…in three different places.

Neil Wilson
22-04-2008, 8:33 PM
Yes Neil,

I think that I now understand. It wasn’t you explanation, but as I said, me being thick when it come to IT:o.

Cheers,

UK

PS I have already saved it…in three different places.
Good on you, keep us posted.

uksearch
22-04-2008, 8:39 PM
Well, I have made the decision to leave it until the end of the month...for two reasons. The first is that I want to see the effect of the ad, which if the site was suddenly to disappear would make the expense a waste of money. Secondly, I keep finding material that I want to publish and at the moment I haven't got the time to add it to FP:).

UK

uksearch
01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Good on you, keep us posted.

Well...after a little bit of trouble, I managed to do it. I've had a quick check through it is seems to have transferred okay. There were a few problems involving old files that were still on FrontPage, but not on the website.Fingers crossed|5cups|. Many thanks for all the help and advice.

|cheers|

UK