PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Badges and Unit?

The_Oakster
12-12-2004, 8:47 PM
I have posted some pictures of my Grandad on my website and I was wondering if any one could tell me what his badges and ranks were.

The first picture would be a Corporal nowadays but I'm not sure for the 2nd World War. The second picture is the most confusing, I have no idea what they are. And the third one just shows his cap badge.

As far as I know he was in the Rotal Engineers and I know he received the Military medal but thats all I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The pictures are medium size to help with identification so please give them time to load. According to Frontpage it should take 24 seconds for all the pictures to load....

Uniform Pictures (http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/Oakley_Central/altoft.htm)

Ben

Alanh
14-12-2004, 3:05 PM
Ben

2nd picture shows your grandad as a sergeant ( 3 larger stripes halfway up sleeve) with service stripes(smaller stripes near cuff awarded for X years service) there are, what looks like Divisional flashes above Rank Stripes , but can't see what division they are.

3rd picture Capbadge is Royal Engineers

Alan

The_Oakster
14-12-2004, 3:14 PM
Thank you very much Alan,

Are the ones in the top picture Lance Sergeant stripes?
Does any body know how many years he has done by the service stripes on his cuff?

Ben

Ladkyis
14-12-2004, 3:28 PM
The top one of the Divisional Flashes - I am taking your word for that title Alan cos I don't know enough - looks to me like the All seeing eye that the Royal Engineers used. Now I don't know if the eye was RE or whether it was RMRE (Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers(Militia) ) but I do know that my dad had it on his uniform in WW2 and he was RMRE.

I hope this helps a little

Ann
proud to be a sappers daughter

Alanh
14-12-2004, 3:29 PM
Ben

Top picture is Corporal's stripes. Should have said that Overseas service stripes were awarded one for each year served overseas.

Alan

bubblious
15-12-2004, 8:21 PM
ben

Just had to say your website is brilliant ... all the photos look great :-)

x