PDA

View Full Version : What happened to James Goble?

Sheila1
28-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I am trying to find what happened to my great grandfather,( James GOBLE) born 5/11/1851. 26. Pimlico.Brighton.He married Mary JEFFERY in 1871.at St.Nicholas Church .Brighton.Sussex. l can not find anything on him between 1884 and 1890, when they had my Grandfather Thomas GOBLE in 1884.Mothers home address. 17.Carlton Court. Brighton.Sussex.
I have looked for death certificate but have had no luck.
On the 3/5/1890 Mary GOBLE(formerly JEFFERY) remarried as a widow, to Henry NUTLEY,at St.Johns.Brighton.Sussex.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Sheila1

Geoffers
28-02-2008, 11:34 PM
I am trying to find what happened to my great grandfather,( James GOBLE) born 5/11/1851

Different people record dates differently, to me 5/11 is 5th November, to some it would be May 11th. To avoid confusion, it is usually best to refer to spell the month, or just abbreviate it.

l can not find anything on him between 1884 and 1890, when they had my Grandfather Thomas GOBLE in 1884

Just to make sure - do you have the Birth Certificate for Thomas and does this show his mother's maiden name as JEFFERY?

Do you know what James did for a living? Did he leave a will?

Sheila1
29-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Yes l do have Thomas's birth certificate, he was born in the Brighton.Workhouse.and yes his mothers name was Mary Goble (Formerly Jeffery) and his father was stated as James Goble.
James was a Bricklayers Labourer
Regards
Sheila

Geoffers
29-02-2008, 7:44 AM
Yes l do have Thomas's birth certificate, he was born in the Brighton.Workhouse.and yes his mothers name was Mary Goble (Formerly Jeffery) and his father was stated as James Goble.

Excellent - it puts your research on a firm footing. It's also helpful that you are at least in the same county as where you need to research.

You might try the County Record Office and see what they hold in the way of workhouse records. There may be details as to the circumstances under which the mother was admitted which will help to clarify what happened. Was she already widowed?

From the James' marriage certificate - how old was he when he married, was he a bricklayer's labourer then?

Have you tried to search for a death certificate for James? - If not sure how to seearch the GRO index, please ask.