PDA

View Full Version : Boer War 1899-1902

BettyL
28-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Everyone, I am hoping with all the information out there someone may be able to help me;-
I am looking to find my Grandfather William Charles Lamping who I am told died in the Boer war. He would have been about 24, born in Bristol but would have been in the Birmingham area at the time of the war. I have looked on Kevin Asplin's site but can only find a H. Lamping which I am sure is not him. Do hope someone can help. thank you in advance.

Geoffers
28-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

I am looking to find my Grandfather William Charles Lamping who I am told died in the Boer war.

Do you mean that he died whilst serving in South Africa during this war - or he just died at the same that the War was being fought?

I've searched the GRO Natal and South African Forces Deaths Index without success.

BettyL
29-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi many thanks for replying I was told he died in the war my grandmother told one of my cousins I'm afraid that is all I know, he just does not seem to be anywhere. thank you

Geoffers
29-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Clutching at straws - do you have birth certificates for any of his children in which his occupation is shown as a soldier and if so, does that mention a regiment?

Do the marriage certificate(s) of any child(ren) show him as being deceased? Do any of them by any chance record 'William Lamping, Pte Borsetshire Regt (deaceased)"??

Does he appear in the 1901 census?

You might try searching for a will - the calendar of probate and admon (annual index to wills) has been copied onto film and can be found at most county record offices/local studies libraries.

Could he have joined the RN? Try searching documentsonline to see if a naval record is there. (Naval Brigades landed and fought in the South African War)

BettyL
29-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Hello again, I have not got my fathers birth certificate, but do have his marriage cert, also my grandfathers marriage cert. It shows my grandfather as a groom at his wedding and a coachman at my fathers wedding.
and also shows he was deceased (1924) I will send for my fathers birth cert and see what it says.
He is not on the 1901 cenus. my grandmother and my father are, showed living with her parents and said she was married, so it may mean he did not die until after 1901.There was no other children after my father who was born in 1898.
I have not tried the R.N but will see what I can find.
Many thanks for information he is the only one at the moment I am having trouble with, even found his father(my gr,grandfather) will keep hoping, thanks again BettyL

Alan Welsford
29-02-2008, 12:37 PM
It shows my grandfather as a groom at his wedding

Well I wouldn't have expected him yo be the bride!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :o

neil1821
29-02-2008, 6:21 PM
Lamping is not a very common name I'm guessing.
Let's see what we can find.

As Geoffers says, no-one of that name on the Natal Forces casualty list.
So let's turn to QSA medal rolls:
No Lamping in the Imperial Yeomanry
No Lamping in the British cavalry
No Lamping in the Royal Engineers
No Lamping in the Loyal North Lancs Regt (Kevin Asplin's site)
H.Lamping in the Middlesex Regt (ditto, but this isn't him)
No Lamping in the Lancs Fusiliers (ditto)
No Lamping in the Royal Navy or Marines

So that eliminates several to get you started.
Will do some more checking

BettyL
29-02-2008, 9:32 PM
Hi Neil many thanks for your efforts it is much appreciated,I thought Lamping was an uncommon name till I put it in Google, they are all over USA and Europe, but from what I have found they came from Devon. via Bristol, i have gone Back to late 1700's but William is the one that I'M stuck at. Anyway once again many thanks BettyL

BettyL
29-02-2008, 9:35 PM

Should have seen that one coming

BettyL
29-02-2008, 9:36 PM

I Should have seen that one coming!!

BettyL
29-02-2008, 9:42 PM
Sorry about that but it blowing a gale here and my computer keeps going down like now BettyL

BettyL
09-01-2014, 5:03 PM
:Just had a break through on this my grand fathers army attestation papers have come to light and show him as 3608 W Lamping joined the Worcesteshire regiment in December 1892 aged 17y 6mths but he was actually 15 . I was wondering if it is now possible to find where he died, my cousin still says it was the Boer war, but is there any where else abroad that he could have died. Hoping someone may be able to help, been looking for him for over 20 years thanks . Betty

Peter Goodey
09-01-2014, 5:26 PM
That's a Militia attestation!

christanel
09-01-2014, 8:40 PM

Hello Peter
For us military challenged people can you 'please explain.' (look up Pauline Hanson onetime OZ politician)

Christina

BettyL
09-01-2014, 10:34 PM

yes description of W. Lamping on enlistment

kaigs
10-01-2014, 8:27 AM
Hi Bettyl, no person of that name died during the Boer War so I suggest you visit the National Archives at Kew in London where they keep records of those who served.
Regards
Brian

BettyL
11-01-2014, 12:16 PM
:thank you Brian, afraid i shall have to wait until more info comes on line live to far away and age problems. Was wondering if there was other action going on around that time that he might have been involved in, thank you again.Betty