PDA

View Full Version : Look up Army overseas marriage & death

Duckies
27-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to track down a possible marriage of Pte John Cameron 300912 with the 2nd/8th Bt, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, he enlisted on 10th January 1915 and served with the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders from 1st January 1916.
(He was sent home in April 1917 having been wounded at Arras, and returned to France in September of that year. He died at no.47 General Hospital, Le Treport, 25th October 1918 and is buried at Mont Huon Cemetery).

I wonder whether anyone would be able to look up a death cert & let me know whether any next of kin is mentioned.

I am also trying to track his marriage to Mary Jamieson which isnt on the normal BMD reg, so wondering whether it happened overseas as she too was in France for part of the war. The only clues I have to when it may have happened is that she had 2 children in Jan 1916 & June 1918, on both certs the father's name is blank & the children take her name Jamieson. However in Oct 1920 she has another child and this time the fathers name is given as Reid & the child takes this name aswell, mothers name is given a Mary Cameron. It seems strange that she would bother to note a change of name had a marriage not taken place, bearing in mind her history.Working on the fact that John Cameron died 25 Oct 1918 & her daughter was b.14 June 1918 in London, I'm guessing that it happened somewhere inbetween these dates, but this may not be the case

Another point of interest to add into the mix was apparently he was a catholic.

If anyone could come back with any further information or suggestions that would be great. It could always be aswell that we have latched onto the wrong soldier...but hopefully not.

Thanks
Duckies

Geoffers
27-02-2008, 1:52 PM
I wonder whether anyone would be able to look up a death cert & let me know whether any next of kin is mentioned.

It is unlikely unless the next of kin was the informant. However the only way of checking the death certificate would be for me to buy a copy.

This entry on CWGC (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/Son of Angus and Margaret Cameron, of Oban) records his next of kin as his parents, Angus and Margaret Cameron, of Oban.

I am also trying to track his marriage to Mary Jamieson which isnt on the normal BMD reg, so wondering whether it happened overseas as she too was in France for part of the war.

I couldn't find it in the Army marriage index, have you tried Scotland's People as well as the GRO?

The only clues I have to when it may have happened is that she had 2 children in Jan 1916 & June 1918, on both certs the father's name is blank & the children take her name Jamieson.

This indicates that she was not married and the children were illegitimate.

Do I take it that one of these chidlren is your direct ancestor?

Duckies
27-02-2008, 6:04 PM
OK I'll try & order a cert & see what that brings.
Yes I'm assuming the 2 children were illegitimate as the father isnt named on their certs, However, its a little mysterious that her surname has changed to Cameron when she has her third in 1920, as her partner by this time was Reid & she was called Reid from then on, despite the fact she didnt marry him until 1948.
Unfortunately I only knew 1 of her illigitmate children and she wasn't very forth coming with anything to do with her family, as many of that age wont, and now she has died.