PDA

View Full Version : help!!!

michelleellis6
26-02-2008, 5:08 PM
hi this is my 1st time so not sure wot to do!!!
ive been searching for my family tree for quite a while and up til now ive been lucky but im stuck on 2 'branches', the 1st is my great great grandfather george NOLAN, he enlisted in the rmli in 1893, i have his orignal parchment certificate and i would like to know more about him particularly his wifes name!!!
he left the rmli in 1902 so hes not on the 1901 cen, does any1 know if i can get more info?tried looking on the royal marines website but found it confusing
michelle x

ChrisKelly
26-02-2008, 6:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)
You can almost always get more information, but to get the best results you need to provide a few more details, even if you're not 100% sure about them:

When was George born?
Where was he born?
Does he have any other names?
Where did he live?
Where did he die?
Did he fight in any wars?
What other documentation about him do you have?
And so on ...

Geoffers
26-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

hi this is my 1st time so not sure wot to do!

Your'e doing fine so far

ive been searching for my family tree for quite a while and up til now ive been lucky but im stuck on 2 'branches', the 1st is my great great grandfather george NOLAN, he enlisted in the rmli in 1893, i have his orignal parchment certificate and i would like to know more about him particularly his wifes name!

The birth certificate of one of his children would provide his wife's name and maiden name

he left the rmli in 1902 so hes not on the 1901 cen, does any1 know if i can get more info?tried looking on the royal marines website but found it confusing
michelle x

Records relating to him will be held at The National Archives at Kew.
Have a look at their research guides, click on the links prefixewd 'Royal Marines' (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp#r)

The bit of information you need to find his record, is the division in which he served.

Do read Chris's message above this as he asks important questions.

michelleellis6
02-03-2008, 3:46 PM
thanks guys
ive had a look on the national archives site but im having a blonde day and cant seem to find what im looking for, ive got loads of info but seem to be drawing blanks, im going to feel very silly if its staring me in the face!!!!!
george NOLAN dob 22-09-1871 born in lambeth
enlisted in the rmli at chatham on the 17-10-1893 aged 22 he was private no. 6728
he was invalided out on the 11-12-1902 at plymouth and his said place of residence was 56 essex street in reading berks
i cant apply for his birth cert because i havent got an index no. for him and when ive tried to order his daughters birth cert im told i need to know where she was born which sadly im not sure of
please help x

michelleellis6
02-03-2008, 4:37 PM
thank you for taking the time to read my plea of help again!!
the next bit of my puzzle is my grandmothers side of the family, well her mothers side really, my nan was born and raised on the isle of wight and ive been able to trace her fathers family back to 1659, still living on the island!!! thats all great but its left me frustrated that her mothers side has not been as easy to trace!!!!
my grandmothers mother was dorothy elizabeth lilian BARRY dob 01-12-1901 born in woolwich london, her father was joseph charles george BARRY born in 1880 in india, on the 1901 census he is the eldest child of lucy THOROGOOD dob 1861 and she also was born in india, she is a widow at this time and the rest of her children have the surname THOROGOOD, in 1901 the family were living in plumstead london
could anyone guide me in the right direction or shed light on why joseph has a different surname?im guessing mr. THOROGOOD could have been lucys 2nd husband?????
also, on josephs death cert it says he died on the 04-06-1911 aged only 31, he died on the isle of wight (which is another puzzle!!!!) having spent his last years as an army pensioner in netley hospital
netley hospital have no records, i cant seem to find him anywhere, i would love to know more about his days in the army and im desparate to know what happened to his widow elizabeth WHITE and daugther dorothy when he died
flipping hell thats alot to read but i would be gratful if anyone could help
michelle x

Geoffers
02-03-2008, 5:11 PM
my grandmothers mother was dorothy elizabeth lilian BARRY dob 01-12-1901

In the hope that you trace lots of family all over the world, it's best to spell out or abbreviate the month in letters - e.g. 01 Dec 1901 as this avoids confusion when you get dates such as 01-05-1901 - to you and me that might read 1st May, to others it is Jan 5th. It just helps to ensure that accurate information is exchanged.

born in woolwich london, her father was joseph charles george BARRY

Do you have her birth certificate?

Do you have her dad's marriage certificate?

born in 1880 in india, on the 1901 census he is the eldest child of lucy THOROGOOD dob 1861 and she also was born in india, she is a widow at this time and the rest of her children have the surname THOROGOOD, in 1901 the family were living in plumstead london

So do you have

Lucy THOROGOOD, 40 widow
Joseph BARRY, 21, mar

then loads of other THOROGOODS?

She could well have been married twice, first to Mr BARRY, then to Mr THOROGOOD.

There are two sites with good seachable databases.

FIBIS (http://www.fibis.org/)
India Office Library (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/www.bl.uk/collections/orientaloffice.html)
(click on the link about searching for family history)

also, on josephs death cert it says he died on the 04-06-1911 aged only 31, he died on the isle of wight (which is another puzzle!!!!) having spent his last years as an army pensioner in netley hospital

Best place to start is by hunting down his army service record (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14)
or pension record (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=15)

im desparate to know what happened to his widow elizabeth WHITE and daugther dorothy when he died

Elizabeth WHITE? Was that her maiden name, or did she remarry?

I'm just off to take my boys to indoor cricket nets, when I get back I might be able to narrow down a reference at TNA for you to order his records, unless someone else has a go in the meantime - or you could try yourself if you're familiar with the catalogue (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp)

michelleellis6
04-03-2008, 9:02 AM
thank you so much for all of that, you've been a great help, i'l let you know how i get on
reguards michelle x

ChrisKelly
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
george NOLAN dob 22-09-1871 born in lambeth

I've had a quick look for George in the records, but I can't find a match against that information, but there are a couple of possibilities for slightly earlier years in other districts. Are you sure about the date and the Lambeth? Are you sure about his name?