PDA

View Full Version : Geoff

geoff22
23-02-2008, 5:19 PM
Hi My name is Geoff,

I have just joined British-Genealogy.

I live on Great Barrier Island about 90 km away from Auckland in New Zealand

I am interested in finding out how I can get the 1945 electoral role on line , as I have a relatives birth registered in Birmingham but nothing else

Thanking you in anticipation

Geoff

Geoffers
23-02-2008, 5:33 PM
Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

I don't know of the electoral register for 1945 being available on the internet. The problem with electoral registers is that they are only only recorded by town and street, they are not alphabetically indexed, so unless you have a pretty good idea as to where someone lived, they are not very practical.

If you are trying to trace forward as to what happend to this person - one of the short cuts if to find a will for a parent/grandparent. They often mention lots of family members and sometimes have addresses as a bonus.

The calendar to probate records has been copied onto microfilm and I understand can be obtained through mormon church (LDS) record centres.

If the forename(s) and surname don't occur too frequently, it doesn't take too long to run through the GRO index looking for marriages and births of children - admittedly you're up against things if you're after John Smith or something similar.

If you find a death for a parent, or grandparent - try local newspapers for death notices or obituaries. The person you are seeking may have posted a notice or be otherwise mentioned. The person you are after may have been the informant on a death certificate and that would give you an address.

geoff22
23-02-2008, 6:14 PM
Very helpful, do most English newspapers have in particular Birmingham newspapers have their old newspapers online?

I will in the meantime try LDS

Geoff

Geoffers
23-02-2008, 9:44 PM
Very helpful, do most English newspapers have in particular Birmingham newspapers have their old newspapers online?

They don't necessarily have their archives online - though some do have some obits and announcements - what is available is very variable. Most newspaper do have web-sites and are interested in family stories - a well worded e-mail may produse results.

If you have any family/friends in England who could go there, the British Library, Newspaper Library (http://www.bl.uk/collections/newspapers.html) holds the national collection. Local newspapers are also held County Record Offices. Sadly for those on the other side of the world, there is much that is not available on the internet and finding information does take time.

Mutley
23-02-2008, 9:54 PM
Hello and welcome Geoff,
|wave|
We all try to help out here and many of us have loads of CD's and books or access to sites with useless or useful (as the case may be) info.

Maybe you could start a new thread on the appropriate forum with your relatives name and what you do know about him.

You never know, one of us may find him or even know of him.....

Good Luck

geoff22
24-02-2008, 7:47 PM
Hi Mutley, Many many thanks , I have gone throught the GRO index on line and ordered I hope my relatives Birth, Marriage (1940) and first 2 childrens certificates.

When they arrive as you suggest I will start a new string

Thank you very much for your assistance

Geoff