PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted please, Engine Driver

maz1
23-02-2008, 1:03 PM
Hi
My g,grandfather x 2 became a engine driver sometime between 1847 and 1851 and i was wondering if there was anyway for finding out who he worked for and any other information on him?

NATHANIEL/NATHANEAL AMOS born 1817 NORTHAMPTON
1851 info
occupation ENGINE DRIVER
address 6 MARKET STREET, ST JOHNS WESTMINSTER

in 1871 noted down as Engineer and Engine driver
1881 unemployed engine driver

Any help would be great
thanks in anticipation
Marian

Alan Welsford
23-02-2008, 1:33 PM
Hi Marian,

Don't necessarily assume he was a railwayman, in fact I suspect he wasn't.

"Engine Driver" was used for anyone who operated all variety of steam driven machinery, so could be farmyard machines, like threshing machines, engines driving water pumps at water works, or pithead engines at collieries, (and much, much more).

I'd say a description of "Engineer and Engine Driver" probably make it unlikely he was a railway employee, as implies he both maintained and operated whatever he worked on.

On the railways these would have been different occupations.

Also if he were an Railway Engine Driver, or Locomotive Driver in one census, or on marriage certificate, or children's birth certificate, I'd expect to find something like 'Locomotive Cleaner' or 'Locomotive Fireman' on earlier records, as there was a distinct career path on the railways, and you had to work your way up through the hierarchy of jobs.

Alan

Geoffers
23-02-2008, 5:23 PM
The 1871 census entry confirms Alan's suggestion that this was not a Railway employee..........

Occupation - "Engine Driver distillery"
(RG10/117 f84 p9).

I wonder if he got work discount? - hic!

(though thinking about it, the type of distillery is not mentioned - so perhaps it's not what I initially thought).

maz1
24-02-2008, 5:00 PM
Thanks Alan and Geoffers
I never even thought of it all that way. My mind is running riot now! As Ive been told that he once nearly had the freedom of the city (london) but he blew it in some way by having a "fight" (whether it was verbally or physically I dont know) so if he did work in a distillery he might have had a drink problem!!!! lol
Anyway - back to serious. This makes a lot of sense as when he was living in Northampton he was a Miller, then it looks like his first job in the London area was a Warehouseman, so I was wondering how on earth he went from those sort of jobs to become an engine-driver! Also found one of his sons marriage certificates and it says Engineer - that too was 1871.
So thanks for your help. I shall not try and follow that line (excuse the pun!)
all the best
Marian