PDA

View Full Version : my dorset names of interest

maz1
23-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi
Just thought Id post my names of interest as Ive not been on here for ages. Anyone with same interests or any info would love to hear from you

HILL - MELBURY OSMOND, EVERSHOT
MULLENS/MULLINS - YETMINSER (also looking at other areas)
RAWLINSON (various spellings) - MELBURY OSMOND
CHILDS - MELBURY OSMOND
WOOLFRIES (various spelling) - MORETON. PORTESHAM, STRATTON WITH GRIMSTONE, OWERMOIGNE
GARLAND - OWERMOIGNE
PEARCE - PUDDLETOWN
SCUTT - AFFPUDDLE
ROBERTS - pos AFFPUDDLE
MAISH - pos HAWKCHURCH

All the best
Marian

Frampton
08-03-2008, 5:11 PM
I am also researching this family. So far I have Susannah Childs marrying Thomas Russell in Cattistock on 10.1.1790. She was baptised in Evershot in 1769. Her parents were Francis and Susannah Childs. Francis married Susannah Guppy on 19.5.1760 in Melbury Sampford. Francis was buried in Melbury Osmond in 1822, baptised in Sherborne in 1740. Just to make life complicated Francis' father was also Francis Childs and he married Mary Stitson on 17.9.1738 in Sherborne.
In looking up the parish registers for Melbury Osmond I have found the following baptisms:-
21.9.1731 Joanna daughter of Joseph & Mary Childs
5.4.1732 Margaret daughter of John & Sarah Childs
7.9.1741 Joseph son of Joseph & Mary Childs
You may already have this information but if not hope it helps.

maz1
09-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi
Nice to hear from you, and thanks for that information. Ive not got any thing about Susannah bap 1769 Evershot. Or Margaret daughter of John and Sarah - cant find them either.
Any other info you have would be great thank you. And if I can help you in any way please just shout. Ill have a look in my notes later and see if I come across anything.
All the best
Marian

Frampton
09-03-2008, 4:56 PM
Susannah was actually baptised Hannah. That actually threw me for quite some time. I posted it on the dorset-ancestors website and someone kindly did a thorough look-up for me and we reached the conclusion that Hannah decided to take her mother's name. Apparently this was not uncommon. Regrettably the dorset-ancestors website is no more - I did find it very helpful.
I found Margaret listed in the microfiche of the parish registers held at the Hyde Park History Centre.
Hope that helps.

maz1
10-03-2008, 2:11 PM
hi
Im afraid I dont think ive got any of that branch of family. If you could please tell me where they tie in to yours id be greatful
thanks
Marian

Frampton
12-03-2008, 4:09 PM
Susannah Childs married Thomas Russell on 10.1.1790 in Cattistock. Susannah was the daughter of Francis and Susannah Childs (Guppy). Thomas and Susannah Russell are recorded in Cattistock in the 1841 census. Their daughter Sarah Russell (baptised in 1790 in Cattistock) married John Frampton on 27.2.1809 in Evershot. John is the grandfather of my great, great grandfather.
Hope that fills in that side of the family.

maz1
13-03-2008, 1:03 PM
Hi
thanks for that, Im totally confused im afraid, as I cant even find Francis and Susannah
Childs - maybe its because most of my husbands Childs are from Melbury Osmond. Thanks again anyway
You've been a great help.
all the best
Marian

Frampton
15-03-2008, 8:49 AM
Sorry if I have confused you. Part of my problem is that there are two Francis Childs. There may be more! Francis Childs the elder married Mary Stitson on 17.9.1738 in Sherborne where Mary Stitson was baptised. Their son Francis Childs was baptised in 1740 in Sherborne. He married Susannah Guppy in Melbury Osmond on 19.5.1760. He was buried in Melbury Osmond in 1822, aged 82.
I have been told there are settlement orders for both of the Francis Childs but until I can visit the Dorset History Centre I cannot check them out.

angelcake
18-12-2008, 5:33 PM
Dear Maz1

I have Mary Ellen Mullins 1880 marrying Charles John Morgan on 25 Dec 1897. Charles was from shaftesbury and I am told that Mary came from Wiltshire - any connections?

Angelcake

maz1
06-01-2009, 2:06 PM
hi Angelcake
Sorry to say but all the Mullins I have at the moment come from Dorset. Sorry I cant be of help to you. I shall have a look in my notes and see if I have any notes on Wiltshire Mullins and let you know if I have
Happy hunting
Maz

mikeev
01-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I have discovered a Emma Mullins in my tree. Born possibly 13 Jul 1833, living with Nathanial Meaden in 1881 (I can't find a marriage record though). Children are Herbert J Meaden , Laura A Meaden and Nathanial Meaden.

maz1
11-02-2010, 9:50 PM
Hi Mikeev
This is ineteresting, as my Emma Mullins born 22 Jan 1849 Bruton, Somerset, her mother was Charlotte Meaden. Unfortunately I dont know anymore about the Meadens at alll. But also Ive got down as Emma having an Aunt called Emma (her brother George - was Emma juniors father George Mullins), and Ive been told the following....
Emma Mullins born 13 Jul 1833 Yeovil Somerset, bap 14 Jul 1833 Evershot, Dorset
Nathaniel Meaden, b. CAL 1832, Bruham, Somerset, England
Married Between Jul 1861 and Sep 1861 Windsor, Berkshire, England [6]
Children 1. Herbert James Meaden, b. CAL 1868, Bruton, Somerset, England
2. Edwin Charles Meaden, b. CAL 1871, Bruton, Somerset, England
3. Emma Meaden, b. CAL 1864, Isleworth, Middlesex, England
4. Laura A Meaden, b. CAL 1877, Evershot, Dorset, England
This Emma in 1851 census - evershot baker assistant

These are my husbands relatives, with my Emma being his g,grandmother, her grandfather George was a baker (and as far as we can work out) was the baker in Evershot, hence why your Emma was the bakery assistant. As it happens..... my husband works now as the main Baker in Evershot bakery and I work in the office. Strange eh! seeing as when he first started with this company years back he had no idea. And has now rejoined the small bakery.
I cant find it at the moment, but a Jane Taubman is also researching some of the Mullins - so if you lookup her name you should find her info and she has some photos on there too.
Would love to hear from you and swap notes.
all the best
Marian

ChrisChilds22
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM
HI Marian,
I don't know if you are still looking into this as I see your post was from a while ago. I looked into my family a few years ago but have not pursued it any further until now as I have more time available. My Great Grandfather was called Robert Childs and he lived in Melbury Osmond. In 1845 he married a girl from a nearby village, I don't know the name, called Emma Frampton.
I don't really know much more than this at the moment except he subsequently moved to Somerton in Somerset where both my Grandfather and Father was born. Interestlingly my Father was called Ivor Frampton Childs. If you have any information of any of the Childs families from Melbury Osmond I would be very interested to hear about them.
Regards,
Chris

maz1
15-03-2010, 3:24 PM
Hi Chris
Just noticed your reply, Ive not done alot on my husbands Childs really, but I do have a possibility for you.
In my notes I have a ROBERT CHILDS son of CHARLES and GRACE nee OLIVER, Robert was bap 25 Dec 1803 in EVERSHOT DORSET. pos wife - mary ann frampton --- in melbury osmond
Charles and Grace were married in 1797 in Evershot, Charles was born abt 1775 and in 1841 Resided in East Hill, Evershot, Dorset
I do have a little more on the Childs so if you'd like to contact me direct, I shall give you my email address and pass on info that way.
all the best
Marian

ChrisChilds22
16-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi Marian,
Thanks for your reply with regard to Robert Childs. Where was your husband born? I am hoping to put together a family tree in the future now that I have more time on my hands and any information you have about the Childs's of Melbury Osmond would be of intereste. I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Chris

Dorset Girl
16-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Susannah was actually baptised Hannah. That actually threw me for quite some time. I posted it on the dorset-ancestors website and someone kindly did a thorough look-up for me and we reached the conclusion that Hannah decided to take her mother's name. Apparently this was not uncommon. Regrettably the dorset-ancestors website is no more - I did find it very helpful.
I found Margaret listed in the microfiche of the parish registers held at the Hyde Park History Centre.
Hope that helps.

Don't know if this will help at all but Dorset Ancestors are back - http://dorset-ancestors.com/

Marion