PDA

View Full Version : Milo Lloyd - who was with him?

topo60
20-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I think it was about 1869 when Milo went to the States and about that time two girls also emigrated. They were Sarah & Elizabeth Bottoms. Milo allegedly married Elizabeth despite leaving a wife and family in the UK. How can I confirm any of this?
topo60.

Geoffers
20-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I suggest a start would be to see if you can locate Milo LLOYD in an American Census return; 1870, 1880? Is he married and to whom? Is there a Sarah BOTTOMS living nearby? With a location, you might then at least have somewhere to begin looking.

Have you checked the GRO marriage index in case he married bigamously prior to emigrating?

topo60
20-02-2008, 5:26 PM
There is no marriage registered for Milo and Elizabeth on the GRO indexes that I could find and because of the mileage between them (Gloucester and Durham) it is unlikely they would have met in the UK.
He was on the US 1900 census with wife Elizabeth Bottoms and a large family but no sign of them on the 1880 US/1881 Canadian or UK census. If this is my 2x Great Grand-aunt then Elizabeth died in 1951 in Pennsylvania at the grand old age of 98. (Many of the ‘Bottoms clan’ did live to a very ripe old age and 90 was quite common).

JustJean
21-02-2008, 2:14 PM
Hi there

Not sure if you're aware but there is an application for US passport for Elizabeth Lloyd to be found on Ancestry.com.....complete with photograph of her in 1924.

Best wishes
Jean