PDA

View Full Version : North Walsham, Norfolk

jackmorter@msn.com
10-12-2004, 9:36 PM
My ancestors (MORTER) migrated from Nth Walsham in the 1850's to the USA. I am trying to locate more information about the town

Geoffers
10-12-2004, 9:47 PM
My ancestors (MORTER) migrated from Nth Walsham in the 1850's to the USA. I am trying to locate more information about the townThere's lots of information about, it depends what you are after - could be more specific?. Do you have the name (and rough age) of your ancestor who emigrated? Have you been in contact with any others rsearching the surname?

I'd suggest the first place you might look is the GENUKI wbsite for Norfolk
http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/

North Walsham has its own website
http://www.northwalsham-town.co.uk/

By the way, there is a forum specifically for Norfolk, you might like to post the information there

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

jackmorter@msn.com
14-12-2004, 2:25 AM
Thank you Geoffers, I have accessed all the web sites you mentioned in your message. A Blyth Jagward Morter migrated to the USA between 1848-1851 to the state of Ohio, village of South Salam in Ross county. His wife, Mary Ann and his five children Isaac, Albert, Thomas, Emma, and Maria were in the 1851 (March) Nth Walsham, but were baptized in a South Salam church in December of 1852. Mary Ann died in April 1852. Blyth was a stonemason, but most records list them as paupers. Would like to find them on a ship passenger list, but after five years of research I have not been able to find them.

Jack Morter

Geoffers
14-12-2004, 8:12 AM
Blyth Jagward Morter migrated to the USA between 1848-1851....His wife, Mary Ann and his five children Isaac, Albert, Thomas, Emma, and Maria were in the 1851 (March) Nth Walsham, but were baptized in a South Salam church in December of 1852......but most records list them as paupers. Would like to find them on a ship passenger list,Your best hope is that some list exists at their point of debarkation. You're unlikely to find a ship's passenger list in the UK as there was no requirement for them to be kept until 1890.

You do however have a few pieces of information which may help, the family were paupers, you know where they lived and a reasonably narrow period of time when they emigrated. This suggest to me that it may be worth checking the records of the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, which allowed for assistance to be given to those who wished to emigrate. The records are held in The National Archives (TNA) at Kew, London in document class MH12; and are arranged by Poor Law Union and parish. The problem for you of course be in accessing them.

The books record:
name, age, sex, married/single, occupation, amoutn of parish relief received during the previous year, where emigrating to, remarks.

Ages are noted in most cases that I have looked at, but occasionally childrens' ages are not included. The remarks column is usually brief but sometimes quite blunt. The remark can be that someone was a good worker, or that basically it was thought that they sponged off the parish and were no well thought of.

I'll have a browse through my books and see if there is owt else I can find for you.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

jackmorter@msn.com
22-12-2004, 2:02 AM
Thank you Geoffers, .

Jennifgaye
20-08-2006, 1:34 PM
Hi

I am a decendant of Thomas Morter of North Walsham born c1582.

My decendant line is through Wells Morter born March 1816 in Hethersett.

I feel our families must tie in somewhere. Who was Blyth's father?

Jack Morter
28-12-2008, 3:38 PM
My lines goes back to a John and Frances Morter of Catfield - 1680-1740