PDA

View Full Version : Hitcham

denwats
10-12-2004, 9:00 PM
I am trying to track down my Great Grandfather William Isles Watson who I am told is buried in Hitcham. I Have tried to search the free BMD for information on his death but to no avail.

The story I have been told is, during the second world war he lived at St Luke's Square London, where his house was bombed. He was trapped for several days before they found him. His daughter Emily Lovegrove, wife of Joseph, then looked after him at 2 Fairview Rd Taplow where he died some days later. He is buried in a tiny Churchyard in Hitcham near Taplow and as far as I know his death date was 19th September 1940.

He was a member of the crew that found and towed Cleopatra\'s Needle into the Thames river where it now stands on the Enbankment so ther is a little bit of history attached to my Great Grandfather.
Can anyone help me with some information

Megan Roberts
23-10-2014, 9:29 PM
William I Watson died Jul quarter of 1940 age 86, and his death is registered at Eton, Buckinghamshire Volume 3A Page 2138.
Death certificates can be ordered on line from the GRO:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
William Isles Watson’s birth was registered in the Jul quarter of 1854 at St George in the East, London. Volume 1C Page 431.

In the 1861 Census he was living at 4, Philip Street, St George East, St George-In-The-East, London, England
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Robert Goodson Head Married Male 31 1830 Dock labourer
Bridget Goodson Wife Married Female 31 1830 - -
George Watson Stepson Unmarried Male 12 1849 - St George in the East, Middlesex, England
William Watson Stepson - Male 7 1854 - St George in the East, Middlesex, England
John Goodson Son - Male 2 1859 - St George in the East, Middlesex, England

Piece number 276 / Folio number 21 / Page number 42

I can’t see George or Bridget in the 1851 census, therefore you would need to get his birth certificate to discover his father’s name.