PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted Please in Weymouth

Nigel
16-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Hello,
Looking for Baptism, Marriage, Burial dates in Weymouth, should be the Melcombe Regis areas. Surname of Swatridge (variations)

Edith Henrietta Swatridge born 1842, Baptism details please, parents should be Samuel and Matilda, plus any siblings of Edith.

Samuel Swatridge, any info as he only appears on 1841 Census.

Matilda and Caroline Page born Weymouth in 1823 and 1826, mother is Harriet, any details please plus siblings.

Regards Nigel

Sandyhall
16-02-2008, 6:41 PM
Hi
I found this in the IGI on Family Search

Edith Henrietta <Swatridge>
Birth:
Christening:15 MAY 1842, Melcombe-Regis, , Dorset, England
Death:
Burial:
Father:Samuel Swatridge
Mother:Matilda

Messages:Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C320695 1731 - 1864 1239212 IT 10-17 Film NONE
Sheet:

Sandy

Elley
16-02-2008, 7:42 PM
Hi Nigel,

These two appear to be siblings of Edith, same parents.

Samuel Frederick Swatridge Christened 24 August 1845 Melcombe Regis
Horatio Swatridge Christened 22 August 1847 Melcombe Regis

Regards,

Elley

Elley
16-02-2008, 7:56 PM
Hi Nigel,

These are from the BVRI, the Christening dates, appear to be earlier for Matilda and Caroline assuming this may be the correct family. All children have parents named Abraham Page and Harriet.

Amelia Mary Ann 17 November 1805 Portland
Amelia 23 February 1808 Portland
Mary Ann 23 February 1808 Portland
Elizabeth 15 march 1812 Portland
Matilda 17 November 1814 Melcombe Regis, Dorset
Caroline 13 January 1819 Melcombe Regis, Dorset

Regards,

Elley

Elley
16-02-2008, 8:08 PM
Samuel Swatridge married Matilda Page 15 January 1835 Melcombe Regis

Elley

chloed
21-02-2008, 8:43 AM
witnesses to above marriage were caroline page and edward fooks.

spiderboy
30-03-2008, 4:58 PM
Sorry a bit late with this link but I notice there are several by the name of Swatridge in the index.

http://www.weymouth.gov.uk/Living/Genealogy/genealogy.asp

Hope it helps.
Spiderboy.

Limeywesty
16-04-2008, 8:40 PM
Hi Nigel,

Have you tried the opc dorset site???????

I too am starting to research a Swatridge line in Weymouth. If you get any matches please contact me/post. I'm looking for ancestors of Elizabeth Swatridge born c.1781 (later married to a John Bray) and her (I think) illegitmate daughter Susan Swatridge born c.1803 (later took the name of Bray and married as Coleman and then Newman).

BettyC
04-10-2008, 9:24 PM
Hi Limeywesty.

I am also interested in the Swatridge / Crook/e family. Your Elizabeth was the sister to my Jane, who married Samuel Crooke. 1808. Their son John Crooke b 1810 in Wyke Regis came out to Australia about 1830. This is the line I.m tracking.

But the problem is I cannot find out where Samuel came from. so I,ve hit the wall there. Have you by any chance came across any info. re. Samuel. I,ve checked their marriage (Pallots) but that only gives me the names and date .

I would be grateful for any help.

Betty C

Limeywesty
05-10-2008, 3:39 PM
Hi Betty,

Unfortunately I don't have any more information on Samuel Crooke and I there doesn't appear to be much on first inspection on opcdorset.com either. The surname is found fairly frequently in the region, although he could have come into the area to work either at sea or in the Portland quarries. I'll let you know if I come across anything though.

Limey

BettyC
05-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks Limey for your help.

This is a new site for me, I must admit I,m struggling tofind my way round it , but I,ll get there in the end hopefully.

BettyC

Tony
01-12-2008, 8:15 PM
Nigel - from the 1851 census Weymouth & Melcombe Regis:
SWATRIDGE - Edith 8; Edna 4; Elizabeth 3mths; Ellen 36; Fanny 6; Frederick 6; Frederick 5; John 41; Joseph 48; Letitia 36; Louisa 36; Luke 2; Maria 2; Mary 9; Matilda 28; Peter 57 (in 5 households).
and
SWATERIDGE - Elizabeth 6; Georgina 16; Harriett 37; Horatio 46 (in one household) and Mary 60.

draco72
08-04-2009, 2:22 PM
Good day one and all my name is Roy Swatridge I live in Canada and I am trying to find out about my family history and the family tree my Papa's name was Fredrick James Swatridge and he married Queenie Elizabeth Akhurst in England so if any one nows who there parents are and if there are any relations out there to my grandparents this would be greatly appreciated..

Limeywesty
10-04-2009, 5:57 PM
Hi Roy,

I searched http://www.freebmd.org.uk for their marriage, but found nothing. I did find these two birth records which may be relevant. If one of them seems to be for the right person you can order a certificate of birth, with details of the parents etc from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
You must add the references (volume, page number and district) too. Good luck.

Births Dec 1916
Swatridge, Frederick, W.
Mother - Foley
District - Kingston
Volume 2a
Page 672

Births Sep 1922
Swatridge, Frederick, J.
Mother - Stephen
District - Mile End
Volume - 1c
Page - 481

Limeywesty
10-04-2009, 6:01 PM
Also found this on www.freebmd.org.uk

Births Jun 1915
Akhurst Queenie E
Mother - Lavender
District - S.Stoneham
Volume - 2c
Page -150

spiderboy
11-04-2009, 1:18 PM
I notice that the link that I gave to the Weymouth Burial Index is no longer valid. The new one is currently:

http://www.weymouth.gov.uk/home.asp?sv=810

There are 5 choices in the “Select Search Criteria” dropdown, current default is “Age at Death”, possibly the most useful will be “Surname Only” option, make your choice and click the “Select” button.

Should the link fail again the index can also be accessed from the Weymouth and Portland Borough Council site currently at:

http://www.weymouth.gov.uk/

Click on the “Community Life” link in the A to Z listing on the right.
At the next screen Click on the “Births, Deaths and Marriages” link again on the right.
Choose the “Search our genealogy database” link and follow the instructions shown above.

My apologies for such a long winded post but I feel that this index could be quite useful to those with Weymouth families.
Spiderboy.