PDA

View Full Version : Julien Laure

Dennis Lord
15-02-2008, 4:42 AM
Hi,
I have found that my ancestor came from France to Canada (Acadia) on the royal ship Saint Sebastien leaving St. Rochelle and arriving in (Port Royale)Nova Scotia in 1670.
It is presumed that he came from the Orleans area SW of Paris.
We have no way of finding who his parents were. We know he could read and write. He was born in 1654.
There is a small belief that his family, before he was born, escaped England due to religious persecution and emigrated to France. So I naturally believe they were catholic. I understand that in english history between 1500-1600 there was persecution on catholics in England (Cromwell?). I do not know if this was what affected the family.
Most in the family believe that his family is french, thru and thru, no english heritage.
Does anyone have education that they are willing to share?

Thanks,
Dennis

Geoffers
15-02-2008, 8:27 AM
I understand that in english history between 1500-1600 there was persecution on catholics in England (Cromwell?).

This is a rather too simplified version of things. Persecution of catholics and protestants occurred at different times. If by 'Cromwell?' you mean Oliver, he came to power later, as a result of the civil wards in the 17th century. The whole history is rathe too complicated to explain here. Maybe have a look at your local lbrary and see if you can borrow a book which gives a readable explanation?

ChrisKelly
15-02-2008, 10:41 AM
As Geoffers has suggested, your question touches upon huge areas of history that it's not really possible or appropriate to answer here. Yes, 16th century England was largely ruled by Protestant and/or "Church of England" monarchs (eg Henry VIII, Elizabeth I) and Catholics were indeed persecuted, but the persecution of Catholics was not everywhere or systematic and there was even for a brief period, 1553-58, a Catholic queen ("Bloody" Mary) who persecuted the Protestants!

So, theoretically your ancestors could have fled from either persecution. Maybe they had heard of people emigrating to New England, la Nouvelle-France and Nova Scotia (New Scotland) and were simply looking for a better life? Or maybe they "escaped England" to escape the Great Plague? Who knows?
:)

Dennis Lord
15-02-2008, 6:10 PM
ok thanks,
I am learning much about history that we never were taught in canadian schools. Highland Clearances, Expulsion of the french in 1755 in Nova Scotia,
I remember we had some education of some sort regarding kings and queens of UK, but now 30yrs later, I really do not know what we studied.
Thanks for your help and patience for us who live across the pond and were not even taught our own history!
Dennis