PDA

View Full Version : New Posts link

Frank W
08-10-2004, 9:48 AM
Clicking on this link a few minutes ago gave a "No matches" message. I was surprised as there were several messages listed a little earlier today.
Have had this message previously (yesterday) but assumed there were no new messages then.
Frank W

John
08-10-2004, 1:23 PM
You have to assume that the system no longer considered them to be "new" messages

John

Frank W
08-10-2004, 3:00 PM
Yes. That may well be the reason, but it might be better to redefine the "New Posts" as being say, up to 10 of the most recent ones. Better for new visitors to see some recent activity rather than a vBulletin message.?

Frank W

John
08-10-2004, 3:17 PM
Quite possibly, but remember that these are early days, the system has only been up and running for a week. I suspect that when things take off we'll be inundated with "new posts" and we'll be asking how to refine the search so that we see less of them.

John

Frank W
08-10-2004, 3:35 PM
Yes, no doubt it will all look different after a week or two, so it may be that reporting not-as-expected events is a bit premature. I find the most interesting feature of the system is the "Who's On Line" facility, where you can see when Threads are being created or modified, and play follow-my-leader with the Threads that others are viewing.

Frank W

John
08-10-2004, 5:56 PM
Yes Frank, I spotted you doing that while I was doing the very same thing :-)

John

John
12-10-2004, 3:09 PM
Clicking on this link a few minutes ago gave a "No matches" message. I was surprised as there were several messages listed a little earlier today.
Have had this message previously (yesterday) but assumed there were no new messages then.
Frank W

I've just discovered an interesting thing. I logged out and that "new posts" button changed to "todays posts" and listed everything posted so far today!

John

Rod Neep
12-10-2004, 3:31 PM
Which is precisely what it is supposed to do. If you are not logged in, then it cannot see *you*. When you are looged in, then new posts are posts that are new for you.

Quite logical really :)
Rod

John
12-10-2004, 4:11 PM
Which is precisely what it is supposed to do. If you are not logged in, then it cannot see *you*. When you are looged in, then new posts are posts that are new for you.

Quite logical really :)
Rod

In theory, but clicking on "new posts will only show me the last hour or so, if I don't look at new posts for longer than that then I miss them, if I log out then I can see everything that has been posted today, including posts that haven't been displayed in a "new post search".

John

Frank W
13-10-2004, 8:23 AM
Rod
I understand the logic of the New Posts button as you have explained it, but John has made an interesting point about the Todays Posts button available to Guests (and Registered Members who have not logged-in).
Would it be possible to have the Todays Posts button as a permanently available feature of the Menu bar, so that logged-in Members could access it at any time?
Regards....Frank W

Rod Neep
13-10-2004, 12:25 PM
It isn't really necessary, or indeed practical to do that. Once the BG-Forums becomes busier, then there may well be many hundreds of them each day, or more, and the list will becoem ungainly.

If there are some forums in which you don't want to miss new posts, then you can subscribe to them. See Forum Tools on each one, and then in your control panel, you have a totally personalised page of favourite forums, and... the system can send you a daily update listing the new posts.

Regards
Rod

John
13-10-2004, 1:00 PM
Yes,
as things stand we have the best of both worlds, enter the site and before logging in, review the days posts if you wish, log in and then you can view new posts without having to look at everthing again.

John