PDA

View Full Version : Bayspoole

Pam Downes
10-12-2004, 9:55 AM
Hi Bob,

Re the reference you found in Geoffer's posting of the Erpingham Muster, I presume you've seen the Bayspoole + variants emtries on Geoffer's and Andy's wonderful NTA site?
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

Pam Downes

Bob Skinner
11-12-2004, 8:28 AM
Hi Bob,

Re the reference you found in Geoffer's posting of the Erpingham Muster, I presume you've seen the Bayspoole + variants emtries on Geoffer's and Andy's wonderful NTA site?
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

Pam Downes

Yes, thanks for that note Pam. I have previously found the Transcription site.

Regards

Bob

Geoffers
13-12-2004, 9:23 PM
Hello Bob

In another message you mentioned that you are interested in any reference to the surname BAYSPOOLE, et var.

In 'The History of Horstead and Stanninghall' by Percy Millican, page 95 mentions:

"In 1572, Richard WARDE purchased of William BAYSPOOLE (on the death of Ralph BAYSPOOLE, the former owner) a messuage called Matsells, together with 30 acres of freehold woodland.

Matsells was part of the Cattes Manor estate and lay in the south-east of the parish near Carrowe Beck, just west of where it flows into the River Bure.

The book also notes that the will of John MOWTYNGE (Norwich Arch. Liber I alias Gloys 1509-1519, fo.184) includes Robert FERROR, Harry MOWTYNGE and Rayff BAYSPOLE as residuary legatees and executors.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Bob Skinner
14-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Hello Bob

"In 1572, Richard WARDE purchased of William BAYSPOOLE (on the death of Ralph BAYSPOOLE, the former owner) a messuage called Matsells, together with 30 acres of freehold woodland.

Many thanks Geoffers, that's a new reference for me- exactly the kind of information I want!

Any other snippets will be gratefully received!

Regards

Bob

Geoffers
14-12-2004, 9:19 AM
One more bit for you....

A survey of the manor of Horstead (known as The College Survey) was made, dated 8th June 1586. this is a detailed description of land holdings in the parish. For the survey, Horstead is split into precincts.

First Precinct.
All that part of the township of Horstead lying between the common pasture called Greengate Common in part and common pasture situated at Dennys Pit in part and common pasture called Larwood Lynge in part, to the south; and the [erambulation way between Horstead and Meyton, to the north; and extends to the said common pasture called Greengate Common in part and the common river in patt and common pasture called Storme's Heath in part, to the east; and towards a common road which leads from Meyton Bridge and Hautbois towards the city of Norwich in part, to the west.

Which is a long way of describing the north part of the parish, near Mayton Bridge which extends south west along the minor road, back towards Buxton Road and south east along the river bank.

This precinct is split up into eight areas of land. The most northerly is part of Storme's Heath.

W-E. Abbutts, N., common river; S., comon pasture, Storme's Heath (marsh and meadow)......5 acres.
Richard LINCOLN, Nicholas PRENT, William BAYSPOOLE

South of that was

NW (common river) - SE. (Greengate Common); abutts, W., in part, Storme's Heath
William BAYSPOOLE, gent.; Henry SHREEVE, John STUBBE, ar.; Gregory BERDE (Cratts Fenne).

continued....

Geoffers
14-12-2004, 9:30 AM
......continued

If you don't have a good map of the area, I'd recommend using the OS website to find it
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/
search on Horstead and you'll get a map showing Mayton and Hautbois in the top left of the view.

To give you an idea of where the land was......William BAYSPOOLE held the east part of the first section. A part of Storme's Heath that bounds the River Bure as it swings from flowing south-east to south - roughly where a small section of woodland is shown on the OS map..

He also held the most northerly part of the second section. An area of land that probably lay immediately south of his holding in the first section.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Bob Skinner
18-12-2004, 10:22 AM
......continued

If you don't have a good map of the area, I'd recommend using the OS website to find it
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/
search on Horstead and you'll get a map showing Mayton and Hautbois in the top left of the view.

To give you an idea of where the land was......William BAYSPOOLE held the east part of the first section. A part of Storme's Heath that bounds the River Bure as it swings from flowing south-east to south - roughly where a small section of woodland is shown on the OS map..

He also held the most northerly part of the second section. An area of land that probably lay immediately south of his holding in the first section.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Thank you Geoffers- you are a real gent!
I think one of my problems is not realising where all these Norfolk places fit with regard to each other. Bayspooles also held the Manor at Hautbois at some stage. Unfortunately, although I have collected a lot of information, I don't really have the time to do much analysis. This won't stop me collecting the raw data though! I have added your information to my materials.

I was blessed some years ago by finding the work of the Norfolk Antiquary Anthony Norris. His unpublished 18th century MS called (I think) the History of the Hundreds ..which is at the Norfolk Record Office, and 20 years ago, and my wife and spent many happy hours transcribing his information on the Bayspooles from the big MSS volumes. This certainly was a great find and helps in providing some detail about links.

I am sure others would find Norris' MSS of interest and use.

Thanks to you and others!

Bob Skinner

Geoffers
18-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Bayspooles also held the Manor at Hautbois at some stage.Hello Bob
In looking for records relating to Hobbies (Hautbois), bear in mind that there are two places of this name and that you may therefore have to check two sets of records to find out which manor.

Hautbois Parva (Little Hautbois) was combined into the parish of Lammas after the church (St.Mary's) was abandoned in the 16th century.

Hautbois Magna was combined with the parish of Coltishall.

I think one of my problems is not realising where all these Norfolk places fit with regard to each other.A good map will help to work out where places are in relation to each other. Settlements along the Bure often exist in pairs on opposite banks of the river.

As a very simple guide, take a piece of paper and draw a diagonal line from top-left to bottom-right corner - that will represent the River Bure. Top-left is North West and Bottom-right is South East. Start at the top left of the paper and on the top (north) side of the line mark Lammas - on the opposite bank mark Buxton. Move halfway along the line and on the top (north) side of the line mark Little Hautbois on the opposite side of the line mark 'Mayton'. Come down to the bottom right corner of the paper. On the bottom (South) side of the line mark Horstead, on the top of the line mark Coltishall. Then halfway between Coltishall and Little Hautbois, and on the same (north) side of the line mark Great Hautbois. The distances involved are not great, Buxton to Horstead is roughly 2 1/2 miles.

Geoffers

Bob Skinner
20-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Your advice and help is as good as ever, Geoffers- many thanks.

Bob

Pam Downes
02-01-2005, 9:33 PM
Hi Bob,

Found someone else looking for Bayspoole.
The message is on the Rootsweb mailing list for Jan 2005
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/NORFOLK/2005-01
That list is suffering from hyper-activity at the moment, but if you're VERY quick to view it's only 11 from the bottom. It's not yet reached the 'search' archives.

While I was tring to find it in the 'search' section I also came across two other references posted last year(!). Hopefully this should locate them - if not holler and I'll give the (slightly longer) alternative access method.
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/isearch2

Pam Downes

Bob Skinner
03-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Found someone else looking for Bayspoole.

Thanks Pam- a very prompt alert for me, that is much appreciated. I have contacted the person concerned.

While I was tring to find it in the 'search' section I also came across two other references posted last year(!). Hopefully this should locate them - if not holler and I'll give the (slightly longer) alternative access method.
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/isearch2

Unfortunately your link does not work, and my search of the Roots-L list for last year did not come up with the references. I'd be grateful for a more detailed URL or link. Thanks.

Bob Skinner

Pam Downes
03-01-2005, 2:21 AM
Sorry about the link Bob. Normally I list the 'long way' and will make sure I do so in future!
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=NORFOLK
type Bayspoole and select button for 2004. Then you get the two messages. (click on 'full').
You might also like to try the previous years as well.

Pam Downes

Bob Skinner
03-01-2005, 1:36 PM
Many thanks Pam- I found them this time! So grateful for any Bayspoole entries!

Bob