PDA

View Full Version : Confused Senior from New Zealand

Drewgirl
11-02-2008, 9:23 PM
DREW Frederick Charles. I logged on last year looking for my husbands grandfather, then forgot where I had done it and moved on to other things. .
It was quite distressing to read all the grumpy remarks about me when I Googled his name again recently, I thought genealogists were all nice helpful folk.
It seems I have upset a lot of people because I did not know how much info to give out, this being my first time ever on such a forum.

So can I start a fresh, and hopefully I will do it "your way" in future. The person signing as Geoff D. I would love to talk to.
DREW Frederick Charles: married Elsie Rogers in Worle, Somerset, 13 Feb 1913.Their marriage cert. says he was 20yrs old: his father was DREW Frederick, a carpenter. They had 2 sons.
Frederick Charles was killed on Aug 16 Belgium WWI. He appears on the Tyne Cot Memorial. We have the letter from the war office declaring him killed, the letter from the King and his death plaque, so I know we have the right man in F.C.DREW.
He died while serving with the 11th Battalion of the Royal Inniskilling Fuseliers pvt 40551, enlisted in Taunton, born in ORCHARD BISHOP,Co. DOWN. Military-Genealogy has him also in the Somerset light Infantry pvt 26403, which may or may not be our Fred. There is no such place as the birth transcription, I have tried and tried to find the Inniskilling archives with no success, so am still at my brickwall and would really appreciate any help. I am aware of the 3 DREW f.c.'s on 1901 census, but until his birthplace is confirmed I cannot get any further. If I knew how to find the record from which this transcription came, that would be an enormous help.

Geoffers
11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
The National Archives has loads of research guides, this one (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=18)deals with service records from the Great War.

The information that you have got concerning your chap who died in 1917 looks to have come from the 'Soldiers who died in the Great War' database; now published on CD and also available online. I understand that this was originally published in 81 volumes in 1921. I don't know Northern Ireland at all, but as a passing thought could the name have been misread or the two words become transposed?, is there anywhere there called Bishop(s) Orchard, or anything similar?

Mutley
11-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I cannot immediately see anything that jumps out
but this site has a list of towns and villages in Northern Ireland.

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-towns-in-northern-ireland?cat=travel

tony vines
11-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Please see my possible solution under your "Confused Senior" post