PDA

View Full Version : Clifford Thorpe Royal Navy WW2

MartinM
11-02-2008, 6:16 PM
Hi experts, a little conundrum for you...

I have Clifford Thorpe, born 1910 and served with the Royal Navy during WW2. Family stories suggested he served as a cabinet maker to an admiral on HMS Hood, and that he was one of the few survivors when the ship went down.

I have checked the HMS Hood records and it appears he was never part of her crew. Does anyone have the means to tell me what he did do? There are many other stories surrounding Clifford and I would like to include as much as possible in a biography page on my web site.

He was from Derbyshire, parents James Henry and Lily Maud.

Hoping someone can help...

Best regards
Martin

Geoffers
11-02-2008, 6:37 PM
Your best hope is for direct next of kin to apply for his service record.

Do you know if this chap died in WW2? - check CWGC.

The three survivors of HMS Hood were:
Alfred BRIGGS
Robert TILBURN
William DUNDAS

MartinM
11-02-2008, 6:48 PM
Clifford died in the early 1990's with no children. His wife, Gladys died in 2005. There are therefore no next of kin. Clifford survives the war, but had been injured, and his leg was eventually amputated many years after the war. The family stories suggest that he may have been taken prisoner after his ship was sunk, that he eventually escaped, and was then charged with desertion!

I suspect that like the story of HMS Hood, much of this is fabrication, but would love to find the true story.

Martin

Geoffers
11-02-2008, 8:06 PM
Clifford died in the early 1990's with no children. His wife, Gladys died in 2005. There are therefore no next of kin.

That's a shame - no nephews, nieces who could apply?

Do you know if he was an Commissioned or Warrant Officer?

Did his dad die whilst his son was serving in the RN? Did he leave a will and does that mention anything about his son in the navy?

What happened to his personal effects when he died? Did any papers/photos survive?

Do you know what happened to his medals from WW2?

Was he mentioned in despatches or did he receive an award for gallantry that may appear in the London Gazette?